Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: What's the most messed up movie you've ever seen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek "aaarrruuuuuu" Wolfe

Donnie Darko. That movie was downright strange.

PEACE!!!
    SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO

^Thanks MasterShake^

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    Donnie Darko. That movie was downright strange.

PEACE!!!
    One of my creepiest movie experiences ever was watching that film at the Esquire here in Denver as part of their midnight movie series. People like to dress up in character when they go (Big Lebowski night is fun, if you wear a robe you get $2 White Russians at the bar) but this particular night I had someone in a movie accurate costume of Frank sit right beside me and not speak the entire time. When this scene came up I couldn't help but stare at him:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture-of-jake-gyllenhaal-and-jena-malone-in-donnie-darko-large-picture.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	2075

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I still need to see Donny Darko.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I still need to see Donny Darko.
    Try and see the original if you can, its a little more confusing but a better experience the first time. The directors cut kind of spells things out more and answers more questions, but I really liked the "what the hell just happened" feeling I got when I watched the original the first time. There are entire websites devoted to breaking down that movie. Its a mix of time travel, fate, and destiny themes with horror motifs. Very good movie.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

"Super"

Starts out like a weird comedy, funny points, good times.... Ends very darkly with Ellen Page raping peeps and a bunch of dead folks. I liked it.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Try and see the original if you can, its a little more confusing but a better experience the first time. The directors cut kind of spells things out more and answers more questions, but I really liked the "what the hell just happened" feeling I got when I watched the original the first time. There are entire websites devoted to breaking down that movie. Its a mix of time travel, fate, and destiny themes with horror motifs. Very good movie.
    That's what I've heard. I've tried not to spoil myself on it. However I doubt that it will be more of a WTF did I just watch then "Primer" was.

9. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

That's what I've heard. I've tried not to spoil myself on it. However I doubt that it will be more of a WTF did I just watch then "Primer" was.
    I watched Primer a couple years ago solely on your suggestion, or a post you made of a cartoon of it. Interesting flick, but I had to watch it twice to figure it out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I guess its not so much a WTF experience as it is was a, "that was really good but I'm not sure what the hell I just saw". I more or less had the right idea which I later confirmed by reading some analysis on the movie which made me feel a little smart.

12. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek "aaarrruuuuuu" Wolfe

One of my creepiest movie experiences ever was watching that film at the Esquire here in Denver as part of their midnight movie series. People like to dress up in character when they go (Big Lebowski night is fun, if you wear a robe you get $2 White Russians at the bar) but this particular night I had someone in a movie accurate costume of Frank sit right beside me and not speak the entire time. When this scene came up I couldn't help but stare at him:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture-of-jake-gyllenhaal-and-jena-malone-in-donnie-darko-large-picture.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	2075
    I love watching movies at the Esquire. Saw Fargo there a few times many moons ago when I lived in Capitol Hill. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is always a fun time. Never been while the Big Lebowski was playing....sounds fun and I love me some White Russians.

PEACE!!!
    SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO

^Thanks MasterShake^

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    I love watching movies at the Esquire. Saw Fargo there a few times many moons ago when I lived in Capitol Hill. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is always a fun time. Never been while the Big Lebowski was playing....sounds fun and I love me some White Russians.

PEACE!!!
    I try to do at least one midnight movie there a year. Last one I saw was Ghostbusters.

15. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I just watched Donnie Darko again, and I'm still like WTF? I think it's good, I just never know what to take away from it, or what I think really happened.

On a symbolic level, it confuses, me too. For most of the movie it seems like a social commentary on prescription drugs for mental illnesses and childhood attention problems, and then boom, the ending happens and I'm like "huh?"
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I just watched Donnie Darko again, and I'm still like WTF? I think it's good, I just never know what to take away from it, or what I think really happened.

On a symbolic level, it confuses, me too. For most of the movie it seems like a social commentary on prescription drugs for mental illnesses and childhood attention problems, and then boom, the ending happens and I'm like "huh?"
    ****MAJOR SPOILER FOR DONNIE DARKO HIGHLIGHT TO READ. IF YOU ARE ON WORK FRIENDLY MODE GOUGE OUT YOUR EYES*****

The consensus of the movie is that it is about destiny and time travel via wormholes. Remember the strange worm like figure that came from his chest that led him to his dad's gun? The beginning of the film shows Donnie avoiding a plan engine killing him and the string of events that follows ends up with everyone he cares about getting killed. Basically if he died in his room that night instead of being lured away by Frank, none of the bad stuff would have ever happened. He never would have met the girlfriend, she never would have been out on Halloween, and they never would have had a run-in with the guy in the Frank costume that ended with him being shot and the girlfriend hit by the car. There is a clue in the scene with the old lady checking her mail to all of this. This site gives an excellent breakdown: http://www.the-elite.net/---/darko//

That link offers a different interpretation of what I think, but I think his is pretty spot on. Pretty cool for a weird little movie.

19. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

****MAJOR SPOILER FOR DONNIE DARKO HIGHLIGHT TO READ. IF YOU ARE ON WORK FRIENDLY MODE GOUGE OUT YOUR EYES*****

The consensus of the movie is that it is about destiny and time travel via wormholes. Remember the strange worm like figure that came from his chest that led him to his dad's gun? The beginning of the film shows Donnie avoiding a plan engine killing him and the string of events that follows ends up with everyone he cares about getting killed. Basically if he died in his room that night instead of being lured away by Frank, none of the bad stuff would have ever happened. He never would have met the girlfriend, she never would have been out on Halloween, and they never would have had a run-in with the guy in the Frank costume that ended with him being shot and the girlfriend hit by the car. There is a clue in the scene with the old lady checking her mail to all of this. This site gives an excellent breakdown: http://www.the-elite.net/---/darko//

That link offers a different interpretation of what I think, but I think his is pretty spot on. Pretty cool for a weird little movie.
    I see that too. With all the "wormholes" that he's seeing. And therefore it, I think, can ironically go back to my original thought that its a commentary on medications, because the medications make him ultimately kill people yet still want to go back in time and fix things by killing himself.

It's complex.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information