Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did today restore your faith in Bates (ie the defense)?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Default Did today restore your faith in Bates (ie the defense)?

After watching us get gashed repeatedly in the preseason, I went to today thinking we'd have to score a lot of points to win. In recent days Bates had said that the defense isnt as bad as some us think...but I was still a little worried. Gotta say though, wow. They really stepped up today. They really buckled down. Originally, Buffalo was getting chunks running then we tightened up on 1st downs. This resulted in 2nd and longs and we'd put in our pass rushing DLine and for a while Buffalo tried to pass with this line in. Then eventually Buffalo tried running more on 2nd and longs and even third and longs presumably to take advantage of our pass rushers being in. This worked ok but I think we started putting our 1st down Dline in on more 2nd downs. But all in all, the defense far exceded my expectations. Granted, its week 1 and its Buffalo but its not like Buffalo has a bunch of scrubs on offense. They may not be the best but theyre not disgustingly bad. Also, I was please with the play Dre Bly made right before the half when Buffalo took a shot at the endzone. Anyway, how did you feel about the defense? Has your faith been restored...somewhat at least?

PS, someone familiar with the Dolphins or Packers said Bates was great at freeing up the guy you want in the backfield when blitzing. I now see what he was talking about. Lynch and Williams broke through big time.

One word: yes. Seeing John Lynch play the way he was meant to play was a huge bonus and DJ Williams was an absolute beast in the middle.

I'm very confindent that this defense can walk the walk during Week 4 at the RCA Dome.

I didn't have a lack of faith in bates as he has proven in the NFL he is one of the best.

I did have a lack of faith in the personal that were taking the field though. The system was fine they just were not executing it good.

They made me feel much better today with their play, still this was against an average offense. If we have situations like Gold getting just a single tackle against teams like SD we are possibly going to see a much different story.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Never lost the faith. How can anyone say that they did after only watching the preseason where everything is just Vanilla and its the guys first year here as a coach?

Good defensive game today. Game ball goes to them

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Never lost the faith. How can anyone say that they did after only watching the preseason where everything is just Vanilla and its the guys first year here as a coach?

Good defensive game today. Game ball goes to them
    Because some of their problems were in areas that leave you very vulnerable and are easy to exploit even with scheming. But they did a good job today bolstering those areas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Personally, I never lost faith in Bates. Our d-line is suspect at best, but our LBs and secondary looked impressive.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

I wont shy away. this is exactly how i feelhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eim5jLlEPYI

But i definetly feel better now

I wasn't really concerned if Bates could make our team have a good defense; I know it will happen eventually, but I'd hope we get by until it does. The only thing that I was worried about was if and when DJ would adapt to his new, critical role on defense, as he looked a bit lost in the preseason. I'm glad he's playing much better ... still not great, but improving in leaps and bounds compared to the preseason. It was great to see him make plays.

Bly played incredible, and Champ was, well, Champ.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I hadn't lost faith at all in him. We have too good of players on defense that we could run my any ole defense and be in the top 50% in defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I hadn't lost faith at all in him. We have too good of players on defense that we could run my any ole defense and be in the top 50% in defense.
    (Oh yeah, except for ray rhodes' defense...I can still see rich gannon completing pass after pass against us in my nightmares)

my only concern was gold believeing he is this unbelievable hard hitter and doesnt need to wrapp up...his lack of sure tackles allowed many of those drives to continue...correct that and we will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    This is the truth. Our players made Coyer's scheme look decent, I'm confident they could do the same with Bates'.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

The defense improved as the game went on. Another 4 - 5 games to jell, and
    they may become a force.

I do hope, however, they get better at rushing defense. I think they will.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    The defense improved as the game went on. Another 4 - 5 games to jell, and
    they may become a force.

I do hope, however, they get better at rushing defense. I think they will.

-----
    i think we were tremendous on Defense for the first game with all the pieces comming together

the pressure was there all day . . . Bates blitzed in the right situations and didnt over do it, thank god

2 big sacks, and DJ is gonna be a stud anchoring that defense

vs the run though, i say we did well in the conditions other than that 23 yard bounce by lynch we held them under 4 yards a carry i believe which in my book is pretty darn good

gold needs to wrap up, he was in the right spot but just couldnt do it
    we will have better games, and we will have worse games, although i would like to see a fumble every now and then this season . . . .havent seen many of those with this defense wonder why
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    i think we were tremendous on Defense for the first game with all the pieces comming together

the pressure was there all day . . . Bates blitzed in the right situations and didnt over do it, thank god

2 big sacks, and DJ is gonna be a stud anchoring that defense

vs the run though, i say we did well in the conditions other than that 23 yard bounce by lynch we held them under 4 yards a carry i believe which in my book is pretty darn good

gold needs to wrap up, he was in the right spot but just couldnt do it
    we will have better games, and we will have worse games, although i would like to see a fumble every now and then this season . . . .havent seen many of those with this defense wonder why
    I don't remember Lynch ever fumbling at Cal. I'm sure he did, but it was so
    seldom that I don't remember any time. That is probably why this week,
    anyway.

Few, if any, have been bashed worse on Denver's message boards than D.J.
    as a MLB. I tried to caution them to wait and see what happens, that D.J.
    is a phenomenal athlete who could so much as become a Pro Bowl caliber
    MLB. Some then started bashing ME over such a stupid remark.

Well, D.J. is beginning to make his presence felt. And you ain't seen nothing
    yet, IMO. But then, I held up for Gold for a long time, too. And Gold is
    showing me little, except that he needs to be replaced.

But, yes, the defense seems to be showing glimpses of becoming a stone wall.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information