Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall discussion about creating an opt-in forum only for military personnel

Default Town Hall discussion about creating an opt-in forum only for military personnel

I've received a request/suggestion to create a new forum, which would be opt-in and only available to current and ex-military personnel.

One of the primary reasons for this is forum would be that it would allow active and reserve military more freedom to discuss and express their opinions on political and current events, which they often are not comfortable doing in the open forums. It would also allow them to discuss some subjects that only members of the military could relate to or offer advice on.

If we create this forum, we would choose a couple current/ex-military posters, whose responsibility it would be to approve opt-in requests. It would be their job to only give access to current and former members of the military, with no exceptions being made. As we have several current or former members of the military on the mod team, they would be the moderators that would both have access to the forum and moderate it.

The mod team has talked this over and discussed the pros and cons of creating this forum, and decided the best way to proceed would be to open up a community discussion to see if you guys feel we should or shouldn't have it.

Please post whatever thoughts or feedback you have related to this idea.

Thanks

T

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I really dont see the need for a exclusive forum for any one party or group. Wont really bother me one way or the other but then your going to have Claymore wanting a exclusive forum for his beastiality addiction. Fact is, people disagree with many things so im not sure what the purpose of this would be. What makes this forum different other than you get to keep opposing opinions out? I respect the military and the people that serve this country like the next guy but i dont think there should be a special forum for them.

4. The Following 8 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I really dont see the need for a exclusive forum for any one party or group. Wont really bother me one way or the other but then your going to have Claymore wanting a exclusive forum for his beastiality addiction. Fact is, people disagree with many things so im not sure what the purpose of this would be. What makes this forum different other than you get to keep opposing opinions out? I respect the military and the people that serve this country like the next guy but i dont think there should be a special forum for them.
    I personally would not have a problem with them having their own forum, but I do agree with North - how do you say yes to this, and no to someone else who may want their own forum, and feel they would have a legitimate reason for wanting it.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

As a military member I would like this. Civilians are great but something they can't relate to

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I personally would not have a problem with them having their own forum, but I do agree with North - how do you say yes to this, and no to someone else who may want their own forum, and feel they would have a legitimate reason for wanting it.
    I think it would be best for some of the military members to answer this (what makes them different than other groups that might make requests). I believe that active and reserve military, by rule or protocol, are not supposed to discuss certain things publicly, and this could give them some ability to be able to discuss it among themselves.

However, I think it would be best for the military members to elaborate on that, so we can all understand and give input on the idea.

8. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    As a military member I would like this. Civilians are great but something they can't relate to
    Well, i am a civilian but my dad served in the military so does this mean im included?

Again, im just not sure what the whole purpose is for. If the idea is its because of civilians expressing their opinions than i say there definitely shouldnt be a special forum. I think people no matter what political, sex, race, military or non-military should be heard and allowed to express their opinions on all matters if they wish. I mean, technically we could seperate BF into two seperate forums: Those that hate Josh McDaniels and those who love him. This way there would be no argueing or debating. Unless you can explain it too me a little better as too how this forum would work and the overall purpose for wanting it. Right now i just dont think its needed.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I don't know if a yes - no poll would work with a time frame for it to be open (maybe a week), after, as Tned suggested, military personnel state why the request was made, and why they would want such a forum.
    Last edited by Denver Native (Carol); 03-15-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Yes ,as a spouse and former member of our armed forces, I see no need for such a forum unless you need a clearance for classified info!! What would be talked about that is so secretive unless they're starting their own intel group!!! I do understand that when discussing certain issues the average joe doesn't understand and being out since 1996 I'm sure I'm not up to date on current issues except for what my wife tells me then again she's in a different branch! But then again, the current active duty fellas can keep us up to date and explain the change.

But if the current active duty fellas feel the need to discuss, the current military issues behind closed doors then why not do it for the certain ethnicities, genders, political views etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

anything that'll keep that bum davii from spamming the regular forums, i'm all in favor of. . . .

seriously, doesn't matter to me one way or the other. . .

*shrugs*

i do think we should have a beer forum, though. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I don't know if a yes - no poll would work with a time frame for it to be open (maybe a week).
    As always, I don't believe in using polls to make decisions, but instead will consider the input people post in this thread to make the decision. It is too easy to make a snap vote in a poll, without even fully understanding the question, so therefore I don't use them for decisions.

If anyone is uncomfortable posting their feedback publicly, they can PM me and I will consider it as I review all feedback in this thread.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yes ,as a spouse and former member of our armed forces, I see no need for such a forum unless you need a clearance for classified info!! What would be talked about that is so secretive unless they're starting their own intel group!!! I do understand that when discussing certain issues the average joe doesn't understand and being out since 1996 I'm sure I'm not up to date on current issues except for what my wife tells me then again she's in a different branch! But then again, the current active duty fellas can keep us up to date and explain the change.

But if the current active duty fellas feel the need to discuss, the current military issues behind closed doors then why not do it for the certain ethnicities, genders, political views etc.
    I agree, if its classified than that should be done by PM or email honestly. I dont think posting anything classified publically is a good idea so its probably best that they just communicate through email or by phone. Im sure they all know each other pretty well by now anyway in order to trust each other with phone numbers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Northman makes valid points about how impractical it is to have a special forum for just one group of people. I too respect the military and all that they to for our country. However, their are a number of site on the net that cater to them. My step dad used to be on a site like this that catered to those who served in all of the place our Government denied we were in during Vietnam. (Cambodia, Laos and Thailand).

On the other hand, maybe our military members don't want to visit multiple site. They may want to air what their going through with those who are already friend and have gone through the same ordeals. That special need that most of us civilians will never have ultimately is why I'm in favor of giving them their own spot. And they can create that spot right now through this site "Social Groups" feature in the "Community" tab.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

I think that would be a bad idea. It could end up being an Us vs. Them atmosphere.
    This space available for lease.

19. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I agree, if its classified than that should be done by PM or email honestly. I dont think posting anything classified publically is a good idea so its probably best that they just communicate through email or by phone. Im sure they all know each other pretty well by now anyway in order to trust each other with phone numbers.
    That's what I'm getting at. There's nothing that important to where it would have to be behind closed doors that the public won't hear about. And if you start a forum for one group then why not other groups.

21. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

I understand why some might want this option, but I caution folks that this is not the site for those discussion. There potential still a risk of opinions still leaking out and putting people at risk. I know it sucks but social media is challenging policy option when comes to individual serving and wanting to express their beliefs and following official policy and regs.
    Last edited by elsid13; 03-15-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

23. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information