Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall discussion about creating an opt-in forum only for military personnel

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    If we do it, I figure that's a discussion that would have to take place. As I don't even know what a DD214 is (guessing it's an ID or something), I couldn't say.
    It's the most important piece of paper when you get discharged from the armed forces (military). It proves you were active duty and stating what kind of discharge you had, the awards/medals you got, the TOS (Time Of Service or TIS Time In Service) etc!!

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Question - I have went to google before to find something out about the Broncos, a player on the Broncos, etc., and sometimes it would show a thread on google from BF. Is there a possibility that could happen to this also? And, if that possibility exists, I would think if this new forum is added, whatever is posted should be nothing but general in content.
    Google sees what a guest, or someone not logged in, sees. So, google doesn't have any threads from the Lounge, P&R, hot women threads, etc. Google wouldn't have anything from this proposed forum, because guests wouldn't be able to see it.

4. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    I think that would be a bad idea. It could end up being an Us vs. Them atmosphere.
    How so? No of "us" could even see the forum if we aren't opted in.

Give it to them Tned.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

I'd rather not have it be created because I like reading the opinions of those users. If a new forum is created, there will be a decrease in their posting in the Politics section. The Politics section is already opt in, why have 2 Politics sections and remove even more posts from a fading section?

7. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

I could care less. If the military people would like an opt in area just for "military" discussion then why not.

There are many sites like this out on the web for them to go to and most of us would probably never go to them. So why not have a place for them here at our home.

I think as long as it was moderated to make sure that they aren't speaking about others on the board and what not, then no foul.
    Thanks Shake!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rod Smith

My wife is retired military and I asked her opinion. She basically said if they have something to say about politics they don't want civilians to see, they shouldn't be saying it. She's a real stickler for the UCMJ. It's illegal for military members to disparage the Commander in Chief, in public or private.

I would think there are other forums better suited for military members to join and talk in. I'm not insinuating there's some sort of sedition going on, just that it makes me wonder what the secrecy is all about that a Broncos web forum is needed for military discussion about politics.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hardwired For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I am not one of the people who asked for it but I can see where it makes sense for us. Does it have to happen no, but there is a brotherhood with military members than people in the military can't relate to and for the most part don't want to I would guess. It would be nice to have that place but if it is decided not to have it, I'm cool with that too. The reason I came on this site was to talk Broncos not Afghanistan, but yes having both would be nice.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Well I am in the Active Army and I belong to many other forums that are specificly made for these reasons. I personaly go to those sites since they have hundreds of posters that are veried in opinion and familiar with the military laws. If I need to discuse something that I feel is not appropriate for civilians or I just dont want a civilians in-put then I go to those sites. Now if it is designed so more Military Bronco fans can get to know each other than great but I don't see the need for it to be closed to family and friends.

On another note most of the sites that I go to require a CAC card to log into. (proof you are military) I do not feel comfortable scanning in my ID card or any other official paper work to someone that I dont know and there is no gaurentee that my identity isn't at stake.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I was in the national guard and army reserve, so I have a (part time) dog in the fight. Seriously though, if someone served their country, which contrary to pop culture belief is one of the most honorable things you can do as an American, who are we to deny them a freaking thread or 2 of their own on a website?

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Quote Originally Posted by Delgoth View Post
    Well I am in the Active Army and I belong to many other forums that are specificly made for these reasons. I personaly go to those sites since they have hundreds of posters that are veried in opinion and familiar with the military laws. If I need to discuse something that I feel is not appropriate for civilians or I just dont want a civilians in-put then I go to those sites. Now if it is designed so more Military Bronco fans can get to know each other than great but I don't see the need for it to be closed to family and friends.

On another note most of the sites that I go to require a CAC card to log into. (proof you are military) I do not feel comfortable scanning in my ID card or any other official paper work to someone that I dont know and there is no gaurentee that my identity isn't at stake.
    One of the reasons I do like this is we don't have those sites for us in the Canadian military. I think I am the only member on this site in that position so it is hardly a reason to make one, but my military ID wont access US military forums, not that I would if I had to scan my ID anyways. If other members don't want it, then don't have it.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm in favor for. A lot of you folks that aren't in and never have been in just plain don't understand why a lot of us think the way we do, act the way we do, live the way we do, or are the way we are. It's nice to BS with people who understand that you don't see at work all the time. It's also nice to trade stories and what not. Personally, I don't tell my stories often in public forums because it's a waste of my time when I tell a story for 10 minutes and it's not appreciated or not understood.

I vote yes.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    One of the reasons I do like this is we don't have those sites for us in the Canadian military. I think I am the only member on this site in that position so it is hardly a reason to make one, but my military ID wont access US military forums, not that I would if I had to scan my ID anyways. If other members don't want it, then don't have it.
    I know very little about the Canadian Military. We do have a few Officers in my building but haven't had the chance to really talk to them. I do know that the UK Military does offer a few sites. I was stationed with them in Basrah. Not that it helps you out much. Sorry.

I personaly come here to get to know other Bronco fans and a few that I met that have been military have been a bonus. I think the idea of a forum for military is ok for those that dont know or want to go to another site but I personally am here for the Bronco's not the military.

Edit: Sorry that last sentence made me sound anti-military. Not what I meant I come here for Bronco information and for a break from non-stop military talk. I am still active and that might be the difference. I will vote YES for my Brother's and Sister's out there that want it. However I am more interested in this site for Broncos talk and not so much military talk. I get enough of that at work and if I need to other Official military sites.
    Last edited by Delgoth; 03-15-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Quote Originally Posted by Delgoth View Post
    I know very little about the Canadian Military. We do have a few Officers in my building but haven't had the chance to really talk to them. I do know that the UK Military does offer a few sites. I was stationed with them in Basrah. Not that it helps you out much. Sorry.

I personaly come here to get to know other Bronco fans and a few that I met that have been military have been a bonus. I think the idea of a forum for military is ok for those that dont know or want to go to another site but I personally am here for the Bronco's not the military.
    Me too like I said I am here because I am a huge Broncos fan, which is harder to find someone to talk to about in Winnipeg Manitoba than the military. It would be nice but not the reason I come to this site everyday. Trust me I'll be way more upset if the Broncos trade Marshall than I will be with no military thread on Broncosforums.com

Thanks MasterShake!!!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Give it to them Tned.
    dude, you know they just want a place where they can talk about the rest of us behind our backs. . .

besides which-- any group so exclusive that NTL can't get in is too rich for my blood. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Give it to them Tned.
    It creates a segregated group.
    This space available for lease.

23. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information