Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Town Hall discussion about creating an opt-in forum only for military personnel

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    3 Weeks since the last post.... so.... any thoughts on this Tned?
    To be honest, I have been to busy on some other things to think about it, which is wrong on my part.

I will go back and review all the posts, but my feeling at this point is that there was enough apparent resentment at the very idea of doing it, that it probably is something that we should not do. I'll admit to not understanding that resentment, but it isn't about me understanding it, just honoring the will of the community.

If anyone that didn't comment would like to, please do so.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    What, give you damned Hippies a place to make carpooling arrangements to Burning Man and to swap lentil recipes? A special "pimp my ride" section on decorating VW microbuses with flowers and peace signs? Trey Anastasio tribute threads? Discussions of how much patchouli oil is too much? How often is it OK to bathe while still righteously sticking it to "the Man?"

I vote No
    They already have the P&R forum to post in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I have no problem with giving our military personnel and vets their own forum. I think it's a great to honor them for their service.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    They already have the P&R forum to post in.
    Ohhh. Zing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I have no problem with giving our military personnel and vets their own forum. I think it's a great to honor them for their service.
    I agree

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Ok, I have been putting off dealing with this topic. First, I had a number of business trips that had me occupied, and after that, I just haven't wanted to deal with it.

I was surprised by the reactions to the idea. In my mind, it was a tiny gesture to the men and women serving our country. However, the reason we have these Town Hall discussions is because it's not just about what I think, but what the community thinks.

The responses in this thread raised a couple points of concern:

1. Concerns that this would create a shift in forum dynamics from a community where it is open to everyone to one that has 'exclusive' groups or areas only open to some.
    2. Concerns about how people would be 'approved' for access to the military forum. Would proof be required? If so, how do we manage this and still provide privacy (this is largely an community of anonymous people)? If not, how do we insure that only current and former military gain access?

There were other points raised, such as if you give the military a forum, do you next create one only for conservatives, or only for liberals or only for one-eyed bass fishers living in Florida, etc. While there is some realistic comparison when Firemen and Police officers were raised as also risking their lives, in general active duty military live in a different world and have different experiences than the rest of us, especially those that are or have been stationed in combat zones. So, I didn't seriously consider the "if we give it to the military, we have to create a private forum for liberal housewives with polar bear fetishes" or any of the other "if this, then where does it end" arguments.

But, going to the two points above, I think there was enough concern raised by enough people about the possibility of the forum dynamics changing, and enough people that clearly were adamantly opposed to such a forum, that when combined with what would be logistic challenges (validation of current and former military status), that I don't think we can go forward with this idea.

Sorry I procrastinated on making a final decision. As I indicated, I was wrestling with wanting to do what I thought was 'right' for our military members, but also knowing I had to honor the "community rule" nature of BF.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

As a veteran I would not have a problem with adding Police and firemen to the list. As they are actually risking their lives daily tp SERVE our country or cities.

Why any one else would NOT think it to be a great idea is beyond my thought process other than they are paranoid and think we would be talikng behind their backs.

Hey folks we have PM's to do that with.

The only obstacle I could even fathom would be. Verification. And frankly those who have served would know Bovine Excrment if someone would even try.
    Why someone that is not a vet would even want to join is beyond my LOGIC.

Sorry to hear there was even one person opposed to this small tribute to those that serve. Especially with Memorial day coming up.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Ok, I have been putting off dealing with this topic. First, I had a number of business trips that had me occupied, and after that, I just haven't wanted to deal with it.

I was surprised by the reactions to the idea. In my mind, it was a tiny gesture to the men and women serving our country. However, the reason we have these Town Hall discussions is because it's not just about what I think, but what the community thinks.

The responses in this thread raised a couple points of concern:

1. Concerns that this would create a shift in forum dynamics from a community where it is open to everyone to one that has 'exclusive' groups or areas only open to some.
    2. Concerns about how people would be 'approved' for access to the military forum. Would proof be required? If so, how do we manage this and still provide privacy (this is largely an community of anonymous people)? If not, how do we insure that only current and former military gain access?

There were other points raised, such as if you give the military a forum, do you next create one only for conservatives, or only for liberals or only for one-eyed bass fishers living in Florida, etc. While there is some realistic comparison when Firemen and Police officers were raised as also risking their lives, in general active duty military live in a different world and have different experiences than the rest of us, especially those that are or have been stationed in combat zones. So, I didn't seriously consider the "if we give it to the military, we have to create a private forum for liberal housewives with polar bear fetishes" or any of the other "if this, then where does it end" arguments.

But, going to the two points above, I think there was enough concern raised by enough people about the possibility of the forum dynamics changing, and enough people that clearly were adamantly opposed to such a forum, that when combined with what would be logistic challenges (validation of current and former military status), that I don't think we can go forward with this idea.

Sorry I procrastinated on making a final decision. As I indicated, I was wrestling with wanting to do what I thought was 'right' for our military members, but also knowing I had to honor the "community rule" nature of BF.

Thanks Tned. Great community decision.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

12. The Following User High Fived broncogirl7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I absolutely do not understand the objection from anyone on this subject. If they want an area where they can discuss their issues, blow off steam, where only those able to access would understand - WHO CARES - let them have it.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The forum did its job, i think the forum will fine without a special place. Time to move on.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

not what I was hoping for as a military member, but I respect the choice and the reason for it.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Blech....

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

Thanks Tned. Great community decision.[/QUOTE]

I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived yardog For This Post:

Thanks for considering the matter TNED.......was never in the military......but many thanks and much appreciation for anyone that is or has been.

There are alot of great things here at this message board.....it is too bad decisions like this have to be made though.....
    Last edited by broncophan; 05-24-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information