Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerning The Broncos......

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Concerning The Broncos......

Q: In a lot of the early mock drafts, the Broncos are picked to take Ryan Clady with their first-round pick. Who do you like better, Clady or Chris Williams? And would they really pick an offensive tackle and skip over Calais Campbell, or Rashard Mendenhall if he's still available? Also, do they have a new person with input in the draft now that (former general manager Ted) Sundquist is gone?
    And William Christensen . . .
    Q: Do you see the recent events surrounding Brandon Marshall affecting the Broncos draft/ free agent strategy?
    A: Tuesday Mike Shanahan also expressed the importance of Travis Henry staying healthy and that it was key for Henry to have a quality offseason program to go into training camp in as good of physical condition as he could.
    Since all of the Broncos top three backs had injuries this past season Shanahan says as it stands right now he would rotate backs with the idea he would turn to more of a one-back look if one of the backs showed he's ready and able to carry the ball more.
    The most likely candidate for that, given he has also said he doesn't consider Andre Hall or Young every-down backs because of their size, would be Henry. But Henry is going to have to show he has put in the time and the effort to get himself ready to get the ball plenty.
    As far as backs in the draft, there is plenty of posturing going on around the league at the moment – this is really the lying season when you're trying to discern who may do what on draft day – with concerns over Darren McFadden's potential off-the-field baggage with an arrest in his background and his public assertions he isn't going to simply disregard the people he had spent time with over the years as well as Jonathan Stewart's recent toe surgery.
    That could push those two down the board some – not much because of their talent – but potentially some if teams follow through with the current air of concern on draft day. It's 50-50 at best they will, but it all could move Rashard Mendenhall up the board being he now is the "safest'' pick of the three top backs.
    So if the first back goes off the board a little later than expected, one of the top three should be there when the Broncos pick at No. 12. Mendenhall and Stewart fit their offense better than McFadden would.
    The bulk of the Broncos attack is an inside zone game and that isn't really McFadden's strength despite his top gear and open-field ability.
    Mendenhall was considered a later pick until teams started seeing him work out and really went through his work., He ran 4.45 40 at 225 pounds – some teams had him at 4.41 hand-timed – at the combine. He catches the ball well and from the Broncos perspective, he played in a zone-run scheme at Illinois.
    The only concern expressed is some teams believe there may be some maturity issues, but that could be said about many players on the board.
    But if McFadden is taken within the top four picks – say, to Oakland – that could start the dominos at the position then all three could be gone by the time the Broncos pick.
    I don't think they feel Henry's good health is a slam dunk for '08 given his age, wear and tear and the number of injuries he's dealt with in the last few years, so they would give a back a look though Shanahan has never taken one in the first round in his tenure.
    As far as fullback, we said it before and it continues to be true, most teams are simply phasing it out of a seven-round draft board. There were just four invited to the combine this year.
    It is not a position many teams consider a draft priority any longer. Fewer offenses are using a true fullback and most teams prefer to wait and grab one as a rookie undrafted free agent. But in this year's class one of the more intriguing players is Furman's Jerome Felton. A 241-pounder he ran an electronically-timed 4.68 40 at the combine.
    He also scored 63 rushing touchdowns in his college career, 23 of those in 2006. He also moved the piled at his level of competition with just six negative yards in 2007 and just four negative yards in '06.
    As far as tackle, this is the best class – top to bottom – in a long time and some offensive line coaches say ever, so any team will have to give a look. It is simply the best chance to get a quality player almost anywhere on the board.
    Both Williams, from Vanderbilt, and Clady, from Boise St., are near the top of the board.
    Some scouts are, as you've seen here before and it hasn't changed in recent weeks, concerned because Clady played in a spread offense that what he could do at the point of attack in a traditional run game is still a rather large unknown.
    He's tremendously quick, but doesn't have that big-time lower body strength. He could build up that strength, but people still have questions.
    Williams is 6-6, he ran one of the better 40s at the position at the combine and his strength numbers are good. And he played in a league full of speed rushers, in the SEC, he's smart and worked at both tackle spots at the Senior Bowl as well as at guard.
    There are scouts who continue say they aren't as excited say he doesn't have that nasty streak they're looking for. I think he just played in a power conference against plenty of nasty players and would be a good fit for the Broncos.
    That said the Broncos could still get, in this class, a potential starter in the second or third rounds as well.
    Right now, Shanahan said Tuesday, if he had to line the offense to play right now Chris Kuper would be the Broncos' left tackle – with Ryan Harris also given the chance to compete for the job – with Erik Pears at right tackle. The Broncos graded out Kuper, who started at guard last season after Ben Hamilton suffered a concussion, highly and believe he has the footwork to make the transition.
    He was largely a right guard at North Dakota, but the Broncos believe he moves well enough to kick out to left tackle and that's where he is expected to work through the team's organized workouts in the offseason.
    And while Jay Cutler has expressed frustration with Marshall's off-the-field troubles – his severe right forearm injury just the latest – and Shanahan has said the wide receiver needs to grow up as well, the Broncos are currently operating under the assumption that he will be ready for training camp.
    The team's doctors continue to give them that projection. If they do look receiver in this draft – in what is not considered a deep class – it would be a player like Michigan State's Devin Thomas, a position player who is also a top returner.
    It will be a surprise if they do not take a returner in this draft, almost certainly one they believe could handle both punts and kickoffs.
    But again their expectation is that Marshall is going to be ready. If they get to June and have to change that plan, then they may start searching the waiver wire for a player to fill in the gap until Marshall is ready to come back and also be forced to play Brandon Stokley in the starting lineup, something they're hoping to avoid simply to maximize the veteran's output in the slot.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I want Reynaud for the return duties. He can be had on day 2 and is a hard nosed playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Q: In a lot of the early mock drafts, the Broncos are picked to take Ryan Clady with their first-round pick. Who do you like better, Clady or Chris Williams? And would they really pick an offensive tackle and skip over Calais Campbell, or Rashard Mendenhall if he's still available? Also, do they have a new person with input in the draft now that (former general manager Ted) Sundquist is gone?
    Jeff Goodman was named assistant GM before Sunquist left, and was supposed to be helping in all areas of the GM duties. I'm guessing that he's as close as we're going to get to having a real GM again.

As far as the Clady/Williams argument, I'm a Williams fan. He played LT in the toughest conference in college football and graded out superbly. I don't know if he has the nasty streak in him or not. I do know that he has the kind of work ethic and character we need on this team.(See my post titled The Chris Williams story be SN as to why)
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-11-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Not saying Mendenhall won't be good in Denver because everyone knows I want Stewart or Mendenhall if we stay at 12, but Mendenhall's zone-run scheme at Illinois is a lot differnt from what the Broncos run here in Denver.

As for Chris Williams vs. Ryan Clady... By far Chris Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    Not saying Mendenhall won't be good in Denver because everyone knows I want Stewart or Mendenhall if we stay at 12, but Mendenhall's zone-run scheme at Illinois is a lot differnt from what the Broncos run here in Denver.

As for Chris Williams vs. Ryan Clady... By far Chris Williams.
    Boss, you really think that upgrading the RB position is more important than shoring up the LT position and Cutler's blindside? I don't. I think there are 2 or 3 LT in this draft that can be cornerstone LT's. We haven't had that since Zimmerman left, and it shows. I say take a chance on the line and protecting Cutler's blindside rather than improving the running game with the 1st rounder. However, I'm old school and still believe that games are won on the line of scrimmage. (I think the world champion New York Giants do too)

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Boss, you really think that upgrading the RB position is more important than shoring up the LT position and Cutler's blindside? I don't. I think there are 2 or 3 LT in this draft that can be cornerstone LT's. We haven't had that since Zimmerman left, and it shows. I say take a chance on the line and protecting Cutler's blindside rather than improving the running game with the 1st rounder. However, I'm old school and still believe that games are won on the line of scrimmage. (I think the world champion New York Giants do too)
    I'm not worried about LT, I'm worried about depth and RT. Pears and Harris are true left tackles and Kuper has enough athletic ablity to compete with them for LT. I don't think adding a 4th LT to the mix will help us. We need a RT and depth on the O-line. I too believe the trenches are the most important part of the game, but I'm not ready to reach for someone with the 12th overall pick. The only lineman I see as a 12th overall pick is Albert and Williams and it matters what position you want them for. Albert isn't worth a 12th overall to play tackle, but he sure is for gaurd.

Why is everyone acting like if we don't use the 1st round pick on an offensive lineman that it is the end of the world? We have 9 draft picks. Just because we go RB or another position with the 12th overall doesn't mean we can't work on the o-line and d-line with the other 8 draft picks.

I don't think anyone is acting like it's the end of the world if we don't sign a LT with the first pick. I think that many of us believe that if you have a chance to draft a possible franchise LT, especially at the 12 spot, you do it for 2 reasons:
    1. It's a possible franchise LT, and they are as important as any position on the field. Especially when you have an up and coming QB like Cutler.
    2. How often does Denver draft high enough to even have a chance to pick up a franchise LT prospect?

I'm guessing you're probably more sold on Pears and Harris than I am. As far as Kuper goes, the staff thinks very highly of him at the guard spot, and they think he has the potential to be a good LT. It's all a crapshoot with unproven players, but I don't care if we have 6 LT's on the roster. As long as we find the one that can protect our franchise QB's blindside, I'm good with it.

If you watched the Denver Broncos last season you could see two glaring weaknesses. A, pass protection (see Mario Williams, Oakland Raiders, Detroit Lions, etc.), and B, stopping the run. If the Denver Broncos don't go LT early you can expect to see our franchise quarterback shorten his career by 3 years from getting smashed all over again. By no means is our offense line good. It's alright to be optimistic, but with a 37 year old center, a post-concussion mess with Ben Hamilton, an unproven LT, and an under-developed RT in Pears, we DO NOT have a good offensive line. There are plenty of 2-3 round RB's that I could live with, too bad I can't say that about LT. We have a chance to get a LT in one of the deepest classes in the NFL draft (first round talent). It would be very shocking if we didn't grab one of these guys.

Even Cutler has emphasized how important the LT is to him, we have NONE. You think Harris is going to be any better than Lepsis is? Kuper is going to come in and be better than Lepsis? The answer is no (I hope they prove me wrong). See the New England Patriots, Colts, Jaguars, pretty much any consistent team and look at where it starts, up front, the defense and offensive line. Put some studs in front of Cutler and Co. and see how the running game projects, it's not going to matter who's back there. Yeah, I like many, would love to see a superstar back there, but I'd rather win with a great offensive line.

Running back isn't the weapon Cutler needs... If anything, we are talking WR. We are talking about a better defense with consistent pressure from the defensive line, and a DT along with linebacking corps that can stop the run. If anything, we should bank on drafting a LB and a DT too. I love the Niko kid, and of course I love that Champs brother Boss came in, but I wouldn't look past at them failing in Denver, this is why the draft is so important.

Let's hope the Broncos hit again like they did in 2006, and it all starts with a LT, or a DT, build up front, that's what the great teams do (see the NY Giants, NE Pats, Colts, Chargers, Jags, etc.).

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived JONtheBRONCO For This Post:

You also saw 3 of our 5 orginal lineman go down to injury and reserves have to step in and carry the load. You can't just replace a Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, and Matt Lepsis overnight. We have young guys that need a chance to develop and the best way to develop is to give them some playing time. You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round who was considered one of the best LT prospects in the draft and give up on him his 2nd year in the league.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Interesting comments from Don Banks @ SI:

Here's my quick take on the five teams that have the most riding on the 2008 NFL Draft. These are teams that absolutely have to get it right two weekends from now, when the league commences its annual version of high-stakes poker:

1. Denver -- Two consecutive non-playoff seasons is an obvious factor adding to the sense of urgency in Bronco-land. The surprising and relatively late-in-the-draft-season departure of general manager Ted Sundquist is another, because now there's no one else to blame but coach Mike Shanahan if things don't work out on the personnel front.

Denver's recent track record is spotty at best when it comes to identifying talent and building a roster. All those swings and misses on the defensive line. All those chances taken on players who came with some baggage in tow. The Broncos have nine overall picks, including two in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds, but how they use their first two selections (No. 12 and 42 overall) will be huge.

They have to replace retired offensive tackle Matt Lepsis if they hope to re-solidify their line and keep quarterback Jay Cutler's development going. And they have to again shop for an impact player in the middle of their defensive line, which is a key to their defensive improvement. In addition, the offseason arm injury suffered by No. 1 receiver Brandon Marshall could force the Broncos to spend their second-round pick on another pass-catcher.

With the talent gap only widening between two-time defending division champion San Diego and the rest of the AFC West, the Broncos and Shanahan don't have any more margin for error.

Jaguars starting offensive line

K.Barnes Round:4 Pick:23
    V.Manuwai Round:3 Pick:8
    B.Meester Round:2 Pick:29
    D.Norman Round:7 Pick:22
    A.Pashos Round:5 Pick:38

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Patriots starting offensive line

M.Light Round:2 Pick:17
    L.Mankins Round:1 Pick:32
    D.Koppen Round:5 Pick:29
    S.Neal undrafted
    N.Kaczur Round:3 Pick:36

Colts starting offensive line
    T.Ugoh Round: 2
    R.Lilja undrafted
    J. Saturday undrafted
    J. Scott Round:5 Pick:9
    R.Diem Round:4 Pick:23

I really enjoy reading these posts, but can I give some constructive criticism? Can you break up your thoughts into paragraphs. I almost get a headache trying to follow along.

I don't think Denver will take a lineman before round 4. I think the retirement of Lepsis is overblown. I think Denver will do everything they can to (a) trade up and get Ellis (depends on him slipping to Cincinnati), (b) trade down (Chicago, Detroit, or Tampa Bay are the most likely suitors), or (c) stay put and take the best talent available. This could be something unexpected such as OLB Keith Rivers.

Adding to BOSSHOG30's logic, I have expressed the following opinion:

Offensive Line Insights

19. The Following User High Fived r8rh8r For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8r View Post
    I really enjoy reading these posts, but can I give some constructive criticism? Can you break up your thoughts into paragraphs. I almost get a headache trying to follow along.

I don't think Denver will take a lineman before round 4. I think the retirement of Lepsis is overblown. I think Denver will do everything they can to (a) trade up and get Ellis (depends on him slipping to Cincinnati), (b) trade down (Chicago, Detroit, or Tampa Bay are the most likely suitors), or (c) stay put and take the best talent available. This could be something unexpected such as OLB Keith Rivers.

Adding to BOSSHOG30's logic, I have expressed the following opinion:

Offensive Line Insights
    What is the point total that we have to reach to get up to 6 from the Jets?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information