Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: It makes no sense

Question It makes no sense

Getlynched on Broncos Country posted this list of player's compensation for this year. It makes no sense.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ontent=Twitter

Brandon Marshall, Champ Bailey, Elvis Dumervil, Knowshon Moreno, Kyle Orton, Richard Quinn, salaries
    Knowshon Moreno. It's great to be a first-round draft player. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)

With the Broncos giving cornerback Champ Bailey a $3 million signing bonus this week, Mike Klis on Saturday will breakdown the roster by salary. Look for it overnight.

Meantime, here’s the list of Broncos who stand to make at least seven figures next season.

Interesting list, how salaries work out. For example, Brandon Marshall is looking UP at Chris Simms and Robert Ayers.

The Broncos have 27 players due to make at least $1 million in 2010:

Player … Pos. … 2010 … salary

Champ Bailey … CB … $13 million
    Knowshon Moreno … RB … $8.44 million
    Justin Bannan … DE … $7 million
    Jamal Williams … NT … $6 million
    D.J. Williams … ILB … $6 million
    Robert Ayers … OLB … $5.12 million
    Daniel Graham … TE … $4.5 million
    Jarvis Green … DE … $3.26 million
    Elvis Dumervil … LB … $3.17 million
    Kyle Orton … QB … $2.62 million
    Chris Simms … QB … $2.54 million
    Brandon Marshall … WR … $2.52 million
    Chris Kuper … RG … $2.52 million
    Andrι Goodman … CB … $2.34 million
    Brandon Stokley … WR … $2 million
    Jabar Gaffney … WR … $1.95 million
    Renaldo Hill … FS … $1.95 million
    Ronnie Fields … NT … $1.95 million
    Brian Dawkins … SS … $1.82 million
    Darrell Reid … OLB … $1.73 million
    Nathan Jones … CB … $1.63 million
    Correll Buckhalter … RB … $1.56 million
    Brandon Lloyd … WR … $1.26 million
    Tony Scheffler … TE … $1.18 million
    Russ Hochstein … OL … $1.13 million
    Ryan Clady … LT … $1.02 million
    Mario Haggan … ILB … $1 million

27-player total: $89.21 million
    There has got to be a cap on rookie salaries.
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dean For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Getlynched on Broncos Country posted this list of player's compensation for this year. It makes no sense.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ontent=Twitter

There has got to be a cap on rookie salaries.
    Yep, the NFL really needs a cap on rookie salaries.

While there is a ton of Marshall hate, and it isn't the Broncos fault, because Marshall was a fourth round pick, the salaries he has gotten have not been in line with his production.

While he got a bump to $2 million or so last year, the year before, which turned out to be his 2nd straight 100 reception season, he was something like the 74th highest paid wide receiver, meaning there was 70+ wide receivers in the NFL that were paid more than him.

Worse, he was like the 7th or 8th highest paid Brroncos receiver in '08, with 2 or 3 of the players with higher salaries being cut by week 10 of the season, because they they sucked. If I remember correctly, he was tied for the lowest WR salary on the Broncos. It might have been Glenn Martinez he was tied with, but I am going by memory. In fact, I think Martinez had a slight edge with a couple $5,000 roster bonuses that year.

So, as I said, it is partially the breaks that come with signing a 4 year contract when your a 4th round pick, the fact is that he has been SEVERELY underpaid, and that has to bother him.
    Last edited by Tned; 03-13-2010 at 09:22 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Still, Clady is getting screwed. And I thought Dawkins made more than that. The Eagles must have really low-balled him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yep, the NFL really needs a cap on rookie salaries.

While there is a ton of Marshall hate, and it isn't the Broncos fault, because Marshall was a fourth round pick, the salaries he has gotten have not been in line with his production.

While he got a bump to $2 million or so last year, the year before, which turned out to be his 2nd straight 100 reception season, he was something like the 74th highest paid wide receiver, meaning there was 70+ wide receivers in the NFL that were paid more than him.

Worse, he was like the 7th or 8th highest paid Brroncos receiver in '08, with 2 or 3 of the players with higher salaries being cut by week 10 of the season, because they they sucked. If I remember correctly, he was tied for the lowest WR salary on the Broncos. It might have been Glenn Martinez he was tied with, but I am going by memory. In fact, I think Martinez had a slight edge with a couple $5,000 roster bonuses that year.

So, as I said, it is partially the breaks that come with signing a 4 year contract when your a 4th round pick, the fact is that he has been SEVERELY underpaid, and that has to bother him.
    Wow, you still dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by broncobryce View Post
    Still, Clady is getting screwed. And I thought Dawkins made more than that. The Eagles must have really low-balled him.
    Yes and no on Clady. He got something like a $2 million signing bonus and his contract guaranteed him close to $12 million. It's very reasonable for a rookie contract, even as good as he's played, and his next contract should be a monster.

Also, I think the numbers on Clady are wrong, probably because he is due a roster bonus. He is scheduled to make $2.6 million this year.

Compare that to Marshall's first three years. He got something like a $500k signing bonus, and then made the rookie minimum in this first three years, making his first three year's TOTAL salary less than $2 million.

With Dawkins, he signed a 5 year, $17 million contract, with $7 million guaranteed. There is another $10 million available in performance incentives, which based on last year's performance, my guess would be he is well on the way to earning, which could bring his 5 year total to $27 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Right back at you, buddy.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

I think Tned gets it fine. I find it odd that you don't get what he's saying.

So no matter what, you think that the rookies should get more money than Marshall has, because they were picked before him? Or... No matter what, you are saying that because the 70+ WRs didn't get into off-field problems, that those 70+ receivers deserve more money than Marshall, even if they were bad enough to get cut?

If you agree this is a business, which it is, then what player within those 70+ receivers are making Bowlen, and the Broncos, more money?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Yes and no on Clady. He got something like a $2 million signing bonus and his contract guaranteed him close to $12 million. It's very reasonable for a rookie contract, even as good as he's played, and his next contract should be a monster.

Also, I think the numbers on Clady are wrong, probably because he is due a roster bonus. He is scheduled to make $2.6 million this year.

Compare that to Marshall's first three years. He got something like a $500k signing bonus, and then made the rookie minimum in this first three years, making his first three year's TOTAL salary less than $2 million.

With Dawkins, he signed a 5 year, $17 million contract, with $7 million guaranteed. There is another $10 million available in performance incentives, which based on last year's performance, my guess would be he is well on the way to earning, which could bring his 5 year total to $27 million.
    I thought those numbers looked low. What's crazy is Moreno and Clady were both picked at 12.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

So no matter what, you think that the rookies should get more money than Marshall has, because they were picked before him? Or... No matter what, you are saying that because the 70+ WRs didn't get into off-field problems, that those 70+ receivers deserve more money than Marshall, even if they were bad enough to get cut?

If you agree this is a business, which it is, then what player within those 70+ receivers are making Bowlen, and the Broncos, more money?

1st round rookies have been getting paid big money for years, its nothing new so its not about whether i think its wrong or right. The problem i have is that Tned is still clamoring about how Marshall should be getting paid more money when its about more than just on the field production. Do i think guys like Simms should be getting top dollar? Absolutely not. But are we really going to cry about Moreno when guys like Manning and so on are getting paid big bucks from day 1? Marshall would of gotten his payday LOOOOOOONG ago if not for his moronic behavior. Thats my problem with the comment he made. Teams look at what happened with Terrell Owens and are scared to put up the big money for a headcase who can come unglued and anytime. The reason why Marshall isnt getting paid and didnt get drafted in the first round is because of Marshall. Hell, Doom has more bitch about than Marshall does because the damage was self inflicting.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

I have no idea where North is coming from, as I didn't even say the Broncos should pay him wrong.

I stated: "it isn't the Broncos fault, because Marshall was a fourth round pick, the salaries he has gotten have not been in line with his production" and then detailed his contract and how low it was in terms of other WRs on the Broncos and around the league. I detailed some of the details of Marshall's, Clady's and Dawkin's contracts.

With Marshall, I stated FACTUALLY what he was paid and where it ranked. Stated that the Broncos did nothing wrong. And, that it was a result of him being a 4th round pick.

Yet, according to Northman, "I still don't get it." Now, if that isn't a case of reading a whole ******* lot between the lines of what I posted, to take that shot at me, I don't know what is.

This is the problem, a lot of posters can't take the emotion out of the discussion and just discuss the facts, and even their opinions, without the emotional reactions.

1st round rookies have been getting paid big money for years, its nothing new so its not about whether i think its wrong or right. The problem i have is that Tned is still clamoring about how Marshall should be getting paid more money when its about more than just on the field production. Do i think guys like Simms should be getting top dollar? Absolutely not. But are we really going to cry about Moreno when guys like Manning and so on are getting paid big bucks from day 1? Marshall would of gotten his payday LOOOOOOONG ago if not for his moronic behavior. Thats my problem with the comment he made. Teams look at what happened with Terrell Owens and are scared to put up the big money for a headcase who can come unglued and anytime. The reason why Marshall isnt getting paid and didnt get drafted in the first round is because of Marshall. Hell, Doom has more bitch about than Marshall does because the damage was self inflicting.
    "Still clamoring about how Marshall should be getting paid more money". Oh, pray tell, where am I currently or previously clamoring about such.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

"Still clamoring about how Marshall should be getting paid more money". Oh, pray tell, where am I currently or previously clamoring about such.
    You said he was "severely" underpaid and that is incorrect for a 4th round draft choice.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

It appears the Broncos also felt Brandon was underpaid:

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14527100

Before last season, according to what two sources told The Post's Mike Klis the past week, the Broncos offered Marshall a multiyear contract at $9.5 million per season. Marshall turned down the offer because he sought additional upfront money.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

You said he was "severely" underpaid and that is incorrect for a 4th round draft choice.
    for your ability to take things out of context as a reason to take a pot shot at someone.

I said, "So, as I said, it is partially the breaks that come with signing a 4 year contract when your a 4th round pick, the fact is that he has been SEVERELY underpaid, and that has to bother him."

That's a fact. Based on his production, and that he and Glenn Martinez who was cut made the same money, and 70+ WR in the league made more than him in '08, he is severely underpaid. There is no disputing that, it's a fact.

I also said that the Broncos did nothing wrong, and it is the result of him signing a 4 year contract as a 4th rounder.

Where is any of that incorrect or my continued "clamoring"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

That's a fact. Based on his production, and that he and Glenn Martinez who was cut made the same money, and 70+ WR in the league made more than him in '08, he is severely underpaid. There is no disputing that, it's a fact.
    And i just explained two or three posts ago why he is not getting paid because of his production. So no, its not a fact that he's getting underpaid. You dont pay someone who has other issues that tie into a contract. Its not rocket science dude. The 4th round money is what he is owed because he hasnt done the necessary things to keep himself in check both on and off the field to get a increase in pay. Most receivers who are at his talent level get paid because they dont act like jackasses on and off the field. Thats been my point this entire time yet you keep seeming to miss that point. Never the less, ill let you get back to whining about poor ol Brandon Marshall.

21. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information