Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Royals 08 Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Royals 08 Thread

Yes, for me and cswil...I believe the only Royals fans on the board.

MLB.com's preview...

Royals Opening Day outlook
    Team faces uphill battle in ultra-competitive AL Central
    By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

Manager Trey Hillman is trying to bring a new dawn to the Royals from his successful experience in the Land of the Rising Sun. One thing he brings with him is the reputation of springing the unexpected on unsuspecting opponents.

Fans will want to watch for that. And they'll want to watch the thrust of power that slugger Jose Guillen promises to bring to the lineup. He's expected to bat in the cleanup spot behind Alex Gordon, the third baseman who elevated his game marvelously last season and is seen as a guiding light for a rather young team.

The pitching rotation, headed by Gil Meche with Brian Bannister and Zack Greinke alongside, looks much sturdier and the bullpen has considerable depth. The defense should be a strong point.

For the Royals, it all comes down to pumping life into an offense that last season scored the second-fewest runs in the American League. If Guillen brings along his usual production, Gordon, David DeJesus, Mark Teahen and Billy Butler should provide enough extra oomph to cure the run anemia.

Calling card

Guillen

Knowing Guillen can't do everything, Hillman wants to exploit some small-ball tactics. The bunt, hit-and-run and stolen base are weapons that he'd like to develop as a signature of his first Major League club. There'll be no sitting back and waiting for a three-run homer.

Achilles' Heel
    The bullpen shapes up as formidable but is it really? Did Joakim Soria just get lucky as a rookie closer? Can Yasuhiko Yabuta make the transition from Japan at 34? Will Ron Mahay continue his two-year rise or slip to 2005 form? If the back end of the 'pen breaks down, it could be a long season.

You'll know they're rollin' if ...
    Meche, unlike last year, gets some runs scored for him and a lot of them come from Guillen's bat.

You'll know they're in trouble if ...
    They get off to another terrible start. In the past four Aprils, the Royals' cumulative record is 26-67, and they've finished last in each of those seasons.

Testing, testing
    Starting on Day 1, the Royals have a three-game series with powerful division rival Detroit. They'll see what they're made of very early.

Interleague Play
    Two playoff clubs, Colorado and Arizona, are on the docket this year. On the other hand, so are two last-place clubs, Florida and San Francisco. So that seems to be a competitive wash. As for St. Louis, that's always a heated, unpredictable Missouri war.

The Bottom Line
    There's no doubt the Royals have improved just as there's no doubt they play in what might be the game's toughest division. They'll have to be much more than just a bit better to keep up.

Projected starting lineup
    1. CF David DeJesus
    2. 2B Mark Grudzielanek
    3. 3B Alex Gordon
    4. RF Jose Guillen
    5. DH Billy Butler
    6. LF Mark Teahen
    7. 1B Ross Gload
    8. C John Buck
    9. SS Tony Pena Jr.
    Projected rotation
    1. RHP Gil Meche
    2. RHP Brian Bannister
    3. RHP Zack Greinke
    4. LHP John Bale
    5. RHP Brett Tomko
    Projected bullpen
    Closer: RHP Joakim Soria
    Setup: RHP Yasuhiko Yabuta
    Setup: LHP Ron Mahay
    Middle: LHP Jimmy Gobble
    Middle: RHP Ramon Ramirez
    Long: RHP Leo Nunez
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I am trying hard to believe in this rotation.

Optimistic about the lineup.
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

ESPN Fantasy Projections:

Code:
    PLAYER    	B 	POS 	AB 	HR 	RBI 	SB 	AVG 	OBP 	SLG
    David DeJesus 	L 	CF 	555 	8 	58 	8 	.274 	.356 	.404
    M. Grud 	R 	2B 	489 	7 	53 	2 	.301 	.342 	.421
    Mark Teahen 	L 	LF 	483 	9 	56 	11 	.263 	.331 	.406
    Jose Guillen 	R 	RF 	545 	29 	100 	3 	.279 	.339 	.492
    Ross Gload 	L 	1B 	314 	6 	45 	4 	.280 	.313 	.417
    Billy Butler 	R 	DH 	554 	14 	90 	0 	.300 	.356 	.458
    Alex Gordon 	L 	3B 	575 	22 	70 	16 	.280 	.350 	.485
    John Buck 	R 	C 	361 	16 	48 	0 	.230 	.304 	.416
    Tony Pena 	R 	SS 	300 	3 	25 	2 	.253 	.276 	.350
    OFF THE BENCH
    Esteban German 	R 	INF 	324 	4 	36 	10 	.287 	.375 	.410
    Joey Gathright 	L 	OF 	264 	0 	23 	14 	.284 	.349 	.326
    Code:
    ROTATION 	T 	POS 	G 	IP 	W 	SV 	K 	ERA 	WHIP
    Gil Meche 	R 	SP1 	33 	197 	10 	0 	144 	4.07 	1.37
    B. Bannister 	R 	SP2 	26 	143 	9 	0 	69 	4.66 	1.40
    Zack Greinke 	R 	SP3 	55 	186 	10 	0 	147 	3.92 	1.32
    Brett Tomko 	R 	SP4 	42 	80 	3 	0 	59 	5.18 	1.44
    Jorge DLR 	L 	SP5 	21 	83 	5 	0 	61 	5.75 	1.72
    BULLPEN
    Joakim Soria 	R 	Closer 	60 	73 	2 	30 	77 	2.71 	1.04
    Obviously, they make their projections before teams make final decision on roster and pitching lineup, as JDLR is still in the rotation here...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    I am trying hard to believe in this rotation.

Optimistic about the lineup.
    About the same here. What are the chances Bannister and Meche repeat decent years? AND Zack Greinke comes around, AND Tomko eats innings without losing games, AND John Bale can start in the big leagues...I would probably have to say that Bannister and Meche are decent, Greinke emerges and Bale and Tomko are out of the lineup by June, if not May.

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    About the same here. What are the chances Bannister and Meche repeat decent years? AND Zack Greinke comes around, AND Tomko eats innings without losing games, AND John Bale can start in the big leagues...I would probably have to say that Bannister and Meche are decent, Greinke emerges and Bale and Tomko are out of the lineup by June, if not May.
    Bale and Tomko are keeping the seat warm. May, maybe.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Bale and Tomko are keeping the seat warm. May, maybe.
    If Hochevar can deliver at all, he's in that rotation by June, I would think.

Adopted Bronco:

I'm not buying that kind of production by Guillen

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I'm not buying that kind of production by Guillen
    Whoa...yeah, 29 HRs, I didn't notice that at first. Not at Kauffman.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Whoa...yeah, 29 HRs, I didn't notice that at first. Not at Kauffman.
    29 and 100 seems excessive for him at this stage in his career...especially in KC

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    29 and 100 seems excessive for him at this stage in his career...especially in KC
    Depends on Gordon and Butler hitting around him.

Adopted Bronco:

Depends on Gordon and Butler hitting around him.
    Put Ryan Howard and A-Rod around him and I'm betting he doesn't hit 29 HR's...IMO

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

LOL...Cabrera with an error to start off...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

DeJesus hurt...Gathright replaced him in the third.

1-0

16. The Following User High Fived Rex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

There is no possible way the Royals win 70+ games this year... they stink!
    [

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information