Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Royals 08 Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MHCBill View Post
    There is no possible way the Royals win 70+ games this year... they stink!
    OK...whatever...

Meche wins 12
    Greinke wins 12
    Bannister wins 12

(All doable, and that's 36 wins right there)

You get a total of 24 wins out of No. 4 and No. 5...doable...That's 60...you get 10 wins here and there, which we already have one out of Nunez...

Yes, the Royals can win 70 games.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MHCBill View Post
    There is no possible way the Royals win 70+ games this year... they stink!
    Dont be surprised Bill. Dont be surprised. If the bullpen is decent, I think they win 70
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Fellas, aint' happening.

At best they win 70... they have the worst offense in the AL and at best mediocre pitching.

I love Butler and Gordon and they have some other youngsters coming along, but their #4 hitter wouldn't hit in the top six of almost every AL team.
    [

Adopted Bronco:

He could bat clean-up for my team

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Frankly, it's kind of a dumb statement to say the guy can't hit in the middle of the order, considering he's been doing it for the last 10 years.

Opening day position in lineup for Jose Guillen
    2008, Royals 4th
    2007, Mariners, 6th
    2006, Nationals, 3rd
    2005, Nationals, 4th
    2004, Angels, 6th
    2003, Reds, 5th (pinch hit opening day)
    2002, Diamondbacks, 4th
    2001, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
    2000, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
    1999, Pirates, 7th
    1998, Pirates, 6th
    1997, Pirates, 7th
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Great article by Posnanski this morning...I know he can be a bit of a shill sometimes, but he's a good writer, and I think this sums up how I feel about yesterday's game pretty well.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/roy...ry/554993.html

Royals win by playing it Hillman’s way
    By JOE POSNANSKI
    The Kansas City Star

DETROIT | The first second-guessable decision of Trey Hillman’s major-league career happened in the eighth inning on opening day. The Royals were up one run in Detroit against the team many believe to be the best in baseball. Hillman sent Brett Tomko back out to the mound.

Understand: Brett Tomko has played for seven teams the last nine years (and the San Diego Padres twice). Brett Tomko was released in the middle of last season, in no small part because his record was 2-11, and his ERA was 5.80. Brett Tomko this spring had a 7.23 ERA, which is what can happen when you give up 31 hits in 18 2/3 innings.

Brett Tomko gave up the game-tying home run in that eighth inning.

“We really wanted someone out there with experience,” Hillman would say. Any manager would have said the same. The difference was that Hillman had this sly little smile when he said it.

That smile was good to see. To me, the smile said: “Hey, I’m going to do what I believe.” The smile said, “You know what? I’m going to be wrong a whole lot in my life.” The smile said, “I believe in Brett Tomko; he’s my pitcher.”

Hillman seems to get it. He will make many, many decisions like this during his managing career, decisions that (when they fail) will spur talk-show hosts to screeching and send fans with their forehead veins popping to the chat boards and cause newspaper columnists to hit computer keyboards so hard that letters pop out. That’s part of the manager’s job.

But there’s also this: Despite what some like to think, decisions like this will not make or break Trey Hillman as the Royals’ manager. He was not hired to outsmart Detroit’s Jim Leyland and Boston’s Terry Francona and Cleveland’s Eric Wedge. He was not hired because he has some sort of innate baseball wisdom that will prevent him from making baseball moves that fail.

No. The Royals won the game Monday 5-4. They won in 11 innings, their first opening day extra-innings win in 36 years. And though it’s only one game, you could see in just the one game what Trey Hillman brings.

The Royals won because, even down three runs early to Detroit’s ace Justin Verlander, the hitters kept battling. Alex Gordon hit a monster two-run homer that got the Royals back into it. A bloop single in the 11th inning by Tony Peņa scored the winning run.

“We’re going to keep scrapping,” Hillman would say.

The Royals won the game because of three fabulous defensive plays — a great throw by right fielder Jose Guillen (nailed Magglio Ordoņez at the plate), a terrific catch of a line drive by second baseman Mark Grudzielanek (even though his hand had been hit by a pitch and it hurt so much he could barely close the glove) and a diving play to finish things off by third baseman Alex Gordon.

“Great defense is at the center of what we’re trying to do,” Hillman would say.

The Royals won the game because of a solid performance by starter Gil Meche. They call six innings, three runs a “quality start” in today’s baseball world, and while old-timers who grew up watching war horses like Juan Marichal and Robin Roberts may mock that, the truth is that is a quality start against a lineup as good as Detroit’s.

They won the game because of five excellent innings of bullpen work, two of those innings by Tomko (the homer was the only run he allowed), two scoreless innings by Leo Nuņez, and the save by Joakim Soria.

“Gutsy pitching,” Hillman would say. “Team effort.”

In other words, the Royals won the game by being exactly the kind of team that Trey Hillman is trying to build in Kansas City. Tough. Sound. Scrappy. Sure, it’s pretty to think that good managers can outsmart bad ones, that well-timed-pitching changes and ingenious hit-and-run hunches lead teams to victory. Sometimes, they do. Mostly, they don’t. Baseball isn’t chess; it isn’t even football. Bad teams win four out of 10.

Hillman seems to embrace this, even after only one major-league game. That’s a good sign. As for the particulars of Hillman Game No. 1: He was nervous for the game, but not quite as nervous as he had expected. He stopped to look around at the atmosphere (“It was really cool,” he said), but after five years of managing in Japan, where baseball is frenzy, he did not feel overwhelmed. He saved a baseball, the lineup card and a ticket stub from the game. But he did not seem especially joyous after the victory.

“It was a good day,” he said in the same even voice in which he says most things.

When a reporter tried to canonize him for hitting Gordon third in the lineup, Hillman quickly said, “I’m not going to take credit for that.” When another tried to praise him for his managing hunches, Hillman shook his head. “I don’t play hunches too often,” he said.

And when he was second-guessed about letting Tomko pitch the eighth inning, he offered that smile. For the record, I was the one second-guessing him. I didn’t understand why he sent Tomko out there for the eighth inning — still don’t. Tomko is the Royals’ fifth starter, not their opening-day setup man. I was grumbling like any fan when Tomko gave up the tying home run. I figured, maybe you did too, that the Royals would lose.

Then the Royals won. It was a very good win. It was the sort of hard-fought, determined, late-inning, comeback victory that the Royals have lacked in recent years. It was the sort of win that reminds you that while it’s fun to talk strategy, teams win by getting on base and finding ways to score runs and minimizing damage and dropping in a key hit or two and stealing a few outs here and there with a nice play.

“I’m proud of how unselfishly we played,” Hillman said. “And I’m proud that when we were down, nobody panicked. And, you know, I get it, I know that we got lucky, too.”

He flashed that sly smile again.

“Hey, luck’s a part of this great game,” he said.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Adopted Bronco:

Gordon did smoke that ball.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Gordon did smoke that ball.
    He also has that stupid grin that a lot of stars have when they make plays (Elway...). He's a cool customer, too. We've got high hopes for him up here.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    He also has that stupid grin that a lot of stars have when they make plays (Elway...). He's a cool customer, too. We've got high hopes for him up here.
    ...until he comes up in a contract year. Damon, Dye, Beltran.....

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

...until he comes up in a contract year. Damon, Dye, Beltran.....
    We'll see.

Adopted Bronco:

We'll see.
    Hopefully they can keep him. I get tired of seeing mid market teams becoming ML farm systems for the richer teams.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Hopefully they can keep him. I get tired of seeing mid market teams becoming ML farm systems for the richer teams.
    I'm not worried so much about him, I think he signs a five or six year deal here in the near future, worth quite a bit. He's from Lincoln, he really did grow up watching the Royals.

I'm worried about keeping guys like Butler, Teahen, DeJesus. They have no Midwest ties, Butler is from Florida, Teahen Canada via California, DeJesus New York.

I think John Buck likes it here, I think he stays for a while. Then you've got Greinke, and man, who knows with that dude. Meche is here for this year and three more years. Bannister's father pitched here, so he may stay.

Adopted Bronco:

I don't buy into the hometown BS. Mark Teixiera is from a suburb of Baltimore and grew up a huge Orioles fan. He raised a bit of a stink last year when he said he rooted for the Orioles against everyone except the Rangers...which now, I guess it's everyone in the AL, period. He's an FA after this year, but let's see if he signs in Baltimore or gets swayed by the big money of a Boston or NY. My bet is he ends up a Yankee.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Frankly, it's kind of a dumb statement to say the guy can't hit in the middle of the order, considering he's been doing it for the last 10 years.

Opening day position in lineup for Jose Guillen
    2008, Royals 4th
    2007, Mariners, 6th
    2006, Nationals, 3rd
    2005, Nationals, 4th
    2004, Angels, 6th
    2003, Reds, 5th (pinch hit opening day)
    2002, Diamondbacks, 4th
    2001, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
    2000, Devil Rays, 7th (pinch hit opening day)
    1999, Pirates, 7th
    1998, Pirates, 6th
    1997, Pirates, 7th
    Wow!... Those were some powerhouse line-ups!!!
    [

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information