Thread: Medal of Honor- IGN Preview

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Medal of Honor- IGN Preview

Medal of Honor Preview
    EA's long-running shooter franchise moves into modern times.
    by Charles Onyett
    IGN

March 11, 2010 - Medal of Honor is not a new name for shooter fans, but with the upcoming version the franchise is entering new territory. It's being moved into a modern setting as US forces tangle with hostiles in the hills of Afghanistan. The single-player portion is being handled by EA Los Angeles, which has been in very close contact with the US armed forces to help craft a product that looks, sounds and feels authentic. The multiplayer portion, which we don't really know anything about yet, is being worked on over at DICE, the studio responsible for the Battlefield franchise. Looking at that studio's track record of creating some of the most thrilling online shooter experiences around, then that has to mean good things, or so we all hope. The focus of this preview is the campaign mode, a small portion of which was shown off during a recent demo session.

In the game you'll be playing the role of a Tier 1 operator, an elite soldier that's assigned only the most difficult and demanding missions. This means you're not wearing a uniform or anything like that. Your job is to blend in. You won't be alone, either, but part of a small squad of other Tier 1 operators running things on the ground in Afghanistan.

One of the themes of the game will be how the various levels of military command interact as missions play out. EA LA wasn't really talking about specifics, but it seems like you'll be hearing from direct superiors and commanding officers back in the United States. Whether this means there'll be cut-scenes featuring a cast of characters or if it means you'll be hearing their messages as they're passed along through radio chatter is unclear at this point, but it'll be interesting to see how it's all pulled off. Throughout the course of the game you'll also switch between playable characters from level to level, presumably giving you more insight into the character of the operators on the ground.

Taking out enemy patrols.

The one mission shown off was set in a mountainous area of Afghanistan. Your squad of operators weaved through rocky pathways on its way to disable an anti-aircraft gun and push on into enemy territory. It wasn't the type of experience where waves of enemies started pouring down from the mountains as soon as you were spotted, but instead focused initially on stealth and precision. Chatter between soldiers was frequent but always brief and to the point. Now, I've never been out in a warzone on a top secret mission in Afghanistan so I can't really confirm that's what really happens in the field, but it certainly felt realistic as I was watching it.

As the handful of soldiers crept up the side of a hill in low light conditions, one teammate would quietly call out enemy positions. Two enemies standing on a hill, for instance, would be identified, and if you looked up you'd see the patrol wandering a ridgeline. It seems you won't have to do all the shooting in the game, since when you finally open fire to take one of them out, your squad will do the rest to ensure you can still proceed without alerting all hostile forces of your presence.

Creeping further up the hill brings the squad into contact with larger groups of hostiles. One group carries a flashlight, so you need to wait a moment before proceeding forward and they swing the light away so you can get into position to fire. A more interesting assault was on an enemy camp, with a number of hostiles posted up around a fire. Your squad approached the position and took up hiding spots in a circle around the clearing before shooting, taking out every enemy in a matter of seconds.

After this point the action opened up a little more, as thundering sound effects indicated some kind of battle was happening just in the distance. Moving over a ridge revealed a huge expanse of landscape stretching out below the hillside, above which a friendly plane was peppering ground targets below with gunfire. Unfortunately, your enemy had set up a large anti-air gun on a ledge above your squad's position. It was your job to take it out. The sense of scale here was particularly impressive, helped out by some great sound design as the gun pounded above and shots reverberated off the rock walls. It lent a sense of energy and chaos to the situation that was so controlled just moments before as your squad fired through enemy patrols with surgical precision.

Fire from above.

Once you start shooting up at the enemies near the gun the game seems to transition to a more familiar first-person shooter experience where you crouch behind cover to avoid shots and pop back up during lapses in enemy gunfire routines. I didn't get to play so I can't really say how the shooting mechanics feel, but the encounter looked to be well-crafted, with your squad hustling through rocky paths on the way up to the plateau while picking off enemies along the way. Once the area was clear, explosives were strapped to the AA gun and it was destroyed from a distance. Your squad then moves into a village area built into ravine, but that's right around where the demo ended.

One of the last things shown was the playable character being smashed with a gun in the side of the head as he rounded a corner, which triggered a cutscene. Whether the game uses this type of thing to build character and reinforce the game's personalities as it progresses remains to be seen. From what I saw, the action looks to be intense, the sound design impressive, and the visuals, even though they're still very much in development, looked to be pretty good.

Expect more about the single-player mode once we're able to play, and more about the multiplayer component once it's unveiled.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1076649p1.html
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Sweet. I like single player FPS and Call Of Duty did nothing for me. I really liked Airborne, so hopefully this is good.

3. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Sweet. I like single player FPS...
    I am with you here. Devs need to focus on an engrossing single player and a good multiplayer. This is why I like Halo.

5. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I am with you here. Devs need to focus on an engrossing single player and a good multiplayer. This is why I like Halo.
    Exactly. Fun multiplayer is pretty easy. The reason Halo appealed to me is that there was a whole world behind it, not just some tacked on single player mode.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Looks awesome.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Looks awesome.

Sweet Jeebus, I'm definitely getting that! Looks like Medal of Honor is back on track.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

With the turmoil now going on inside Infinity Ward, this is the prefect time for EA to take the mantle back as the premier FPS war franchise.

Also, Activision releases CoD wintertime/holiday Season. A summer release for MoH when there is hardly ever anything notable released in the dry Season of gaming, would be huge for them.

I loved the original MoH series on PS1. I first played it when I got my PS2, y friend recommended it to me. Besides Doom, MoH got me into FPSs, and later CoD.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information