Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle's silence says Marshall's move unlikely

Default Seattle's silence says Marshall's move unlikely

Seattle's silence says Marshall's move unlikely
    POSTED: 03/10/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
    UPDATED: 03/10/2010 03:24:23 PM MST

Brandon Marshall (Denver Post file photo)
    As the "Silence from Seattle" continues, the message from Puget Sound reverberates all the way to the Rocky Mountains.

The more time passes without the Seahawks submitting an offer sheet, the more they are telling the Broncos they do not want star receiver Brandon Marshall at the expense of the No. 6 overall draft pick.

As a first-round tendered, restricted free agent, Marshall was the Seahawks' guest last weekend in the Seattle area. He flew out there by private jet, then traveled by seaplane to the Seahawks' headquarters, where the team's brass awaited on the dock for a welcoming handshake.

Marshall told friends that as he flew past Seattle's Qwest Field, the video board carried the message "Welcome Brandon Marshall."

An NFL organization does not lure a college coaching icon, Pete Carroll, from USC by going second class.

More than a sterling reputation, however, the Seahawks need wins. In the two years since Mike Holmgren proclaimed himself a lame duck, Seattle has posted a 9-23 record. Marshall and his 100 catches a year would figure to help Seattle regain its winning tradition, but so do first-round draft picks.

The Seahawks have two this year — No. 6 and No. 14 overall. Rules stipulate that if the Seahawks sign Marshall to an offer sheet, they would have to compensate the Broncos with their original, first-round draft pick, which is the sixth pick in the April 22-24 draft.

So far, the Broncos are not willing to budge from getting back a first-round pick in return for Marshall. And so far, Seattle isn't budging back.

Prater signs.

Apparently, exclusive-rights free agency is to a player's negotiating leverage what a penny is to currency. Not much.

Broncos kicker Matt Prater has been in the NFL, off and on, for four years but accumulated only three full years of service time. That classified him as an exclusive-rights free agent, which got him the third-year minimum salary of $550,000 — a deal that was officially signed and sent into the league office Tuesday.
    Xanders gets deal done.

The connection between newly signed defensive end Jarvis Green and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels goes back to 2002, when Green was a rookie with New England and McDaniels was a green, defensive assistant with the Patriots.

Closing the deal, however, came down to two days of negotiations between Green's agent, Albert Elias, and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders.

"He's a grounded guy, the way he deals with agents," Elias said of Xanders. "We were able to yell at each other at times, like you would a friend. I can speak freely with him. We had never worked together before and there was no posturing. This was just two guys being honest."

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0hpfhq848

they probably witnessed Marshall's personality first-hand and lost interest... plus, he probably told them he wants a 100 million dollar contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

3. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    they probably witnessed Marshall's personality first-hand and lost interest... plus, he probably told them he wants a 100 million dollar contract.

I suspect that BM will be his worst enemy considering his past. Although he is one charming SOB when he smiles.

Hopefully they will bite on that and not his record.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I'm sure thats exactly what happened...

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Klis is a F'n idiot with the combined intelligence of cockroach infestation. Seattles' so called silence is called weighing options, Klis would not know about that, since he is nothing more then a beat-writer who completely kisses the Denver Brasses arses and drolls on tidbits thrown to him by his so-called informants. Seattle has already likely contacted Xanders and McDaniels about a trade and they were more then likely shot down. Signing a player which would cost you the 6th overall pick is not an easy decision to make, especially when you have a plethura of needs which you need to improve your organization.

And Bowlen is likely being included in the decision because of his wanting to retain Brandon Marshall. I would not be surprised if here in the next week if Denver simply signed a new contract with him, or he signs with Seattle...but the rest of this is drivel. Really, they met him and did not like his attitude? - Hello? Read a little bit, Brandon already knows several people tied to the Seattle organization and is well respected by them. Next thing you know, the fans will start to claim he was with Big Ben in Georgia and it was he who sexually assaulted her.

- Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

"would figure to help Seattle regain its winning tradition"

9. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Klis is a F'n idiot with the combined intelligence of cockroach infestation. Seattles' so called silence is called weighing options, Klis would not know about that, since he is nothing more then a beat-writer who completely kisses the Denver Brasses arses and drolls on tidbits thrown to him by his so-called informants. Seattle has already likely contacted Xanders and McDaniels about a trade and they were more then likely shot down. Signing a player which would cost you the 6th overall pick is not an easy decision to make, especially when you have a plethura of needs which you need to improve your organization.

And Bowlen is likely being included in the decision because of his wanting to retain Brandon Marshall. I would not be surprised if here in the next week if Denver simply signed a new contract with him, or he signs with Seattle...but the rest of this is drivel. Really, they met him and did not like his attitude? - Hello? Read a little bit, Brandon already knows several people tied to the Seattle organization and is well respected by them. Next thing you know, the fans will start to claim he was with Big Ben in Georgia and it was he who sexually assaulted her.

Man, you sound like a jilted girlfriend.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Damn......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Yay!!! Why get Baby T.O. when you can have the real thing.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Man, you sound like a jilted girlfriend.
    LMAO...

Actually I just tend to get pissed when I hear a bunch of B.S. based off nothing, let alone the idiotic drivel of fans who are acting like rabid dogs ready to pounce and keep saying baseless crap. I am a realist, and reality is that Marshall is being treated as though he is the worst damn person in football or ever has been. Yet, look at Romanowski, but we fans loved him no matter his mistakes, Rod Smith...hell, fans were saying we needed to trade for Vick not long ago or try and sign Ray Lewis, but Marshall is a scumbag and is guilty of everything...so I believe it is those fans who sound like they are jilted girlfriends.
    - Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I suspect that BM will be his worst enemy considering his past. Although he is one charming SOB when he smiles.

Hopefully they will bite on that and not his record.
    Yea, I'm sure his 320 or so receptions in the last three years won't even come into play.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Interesting posts in this thread...

Seattle's - let alone the rest of the NFLs - 'silence' is proof positive of what the league as a whole thinks about BM...

Interesting to note that almost every other 'star' receiver in the league - with the exception of T.O (who is admittedly getting some years on him now) is gone and dude is really all that's left with only one (maybe two) teams showing any real interest.

Personally, I'm delighted...and I love the fact even more that Denver's brass is sticking to their guns and not giving him away.

What a great 'ego-check' for this young man...

18. The Following 5 Users High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yea, I'm sure his 320 or so receptions in the last three years won't even come into play.
    They've done him wonders in regards to getting contracts. I mean the guy is so good that teams are just lining up to snat......

I said at the end of the year that you guys may end up with him for a variety of reasons and I'm starting to think that BM will be a Bronco next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncolingus View Post
    Interesting posts in this thread...

Seattle's - let alone the rest of the NFLs - 'silence' is proof positive of what the league as a whole thinks about BM...

Interesting to note that almost every other 'star' receiver in the league - with the exception of T.O (who is admittedly getting some years on him now) is gone and dude is really all that's left with only one (maybe two) teams showing any real interest.

Personally, I'm delighted...and I love the fact even more that Denver's brass is sticking to their guns and not giving him away.

What a great 'ego-check' for this young man...
    How many of those other 'star' receivers were RFA's with first round tenders, vs. just being free agents that were signed. How many 1st round tendered RFA's have been signed to offere sheets, whether WRs or other positions? As far as I know, I think the number is zero.

While I have no doubt that Marhsall's history, and McDaniels action in week 17 has frightened some teams, the fact that non RFA's are moving is also likely indicative of concern about the CBA, and teams being unwilling to both give up first round compensation and a big contract for anyone.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    They've done him wonders in regards to getting contracts. I mean the guy is so good that teams are just lining up to snat......

I said at the end of the year that you guys may end up with him for a variety of reasons and I'm starting to think that BM will be a Bronco next year.
    I hope so. Unlike many fans on this forum, I am more focused on production than emotions. The team is better with him on the field, period.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information