Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Seattle's silence says Marshall's move unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Explain to us all then why Vick had to payback some of his guaranteed signing bonus.

Wasnt that guaranteed?

Plaxico?

Jones?
    Jones?

You mean the guys that went to prison? Is that really the same thing that you are talking about? No.

You are saying that they give him 'guaranteed' money, but put incentives on them. If he matches the incentives, he gets the signing bonus as they dish it out. You are twisting.

As I said in the post, would I see some behavior clauses, sure. But the teams you just mentioned had to sue to have an arbitrator rule if they COULD get their money back. These guys went to prison. They even had to get a ruling from an arbitrator to see if Ricky Williams had to give a portion back after he quit. Point being, its not just as simple as you are making it out to be. Teams just can't arbitrarily 'keep' guaranteed money that is part of their base salary.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    There will be salaries that Brandon will be getting.

And it doesnt mean Denver wont give him some of the guaranteed money up front.......it just means they wont give it all.

All Brandon has to do is keep his nose clean, and he gets the money.....guaranteed.

And BTW, there are PLENTY of contracts in the NFL where players dont get all their guaranteed money up front, even if they dont have conduct issues.

Its a matter of helping the teams stomach their salaries. The money is guaranteed, its simply the distribution is spread out over time. Thats why some teams like Washington have so much dead money on the books even when players arent playing for them anymore.
    Deferred signing bonuses?

Isn't that why we got in trouble in the late 90s when building the stadium?

Guaranteed money is spread out over the cap... that doesn't mean it's still being paid... that's just how it affects the cap.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

3. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    know what you're saying, but in all honesty i would MUCH rather get seattle's 2nd and 3rd than that #6 overall pick. . . not because of any inherent value in picks, but because of the way this year's draft looks to be playing out. . .

a high 2nd rounder like seattle's should be an ideal spot for us to grab someone who doesn't quite fit into the 1st round like, say, iupati, pouncey, odrick, kyle wilson, brandon spikes, etc etc. . .

a high 3rd could net us an interior OL like john jerry or JD walton. . .

in a deep draft that doesn't have a ton of off-the-charts, blue chip type prospects at the very top, we'd be better off with two fairly high picks than #6-- unless eric berry falls, who do we really want there that we can't probably get at 11? if you really want clausen you could get him there i'm sure, but i wouldn't spend six on him. . . the only other reason i can see that we'd want #6 is to take one of the top OT prospects-- and i'd kinda hate to trade marshall for a rookie right tackle who quite likely wouldn't play this year unless we trade harris for low value. . .

i'd rather stick at 11 and take mcclain or dez bryant, even coach's boy graham, and then still have three more picks in the top three rounds to beef up the lines or look at a quarterback. . .
    I understand what you're saying, and as most people know, draft boards are not my thing and I don't follow the NCAA, so except when I read someone like you talking about this draft, I wouldn't know if it is a deep one or not.

My comment was more fundamental, and that is that top 15 picks are not close to sure things, but 2nd and 3rd round picks have a MUCH lower percentage of becoming impact players. If we take our number one offensive weapon and toss him, we need to try and get something close to equal production back on the field.

We should be sitting here with two first round picks and lots of flexibility, but this years first was recklessly traded away for Smith -- which I should point out is an example of a McDaniels 2nd round pick, and we could look at Quinn as an example of a 3rd round pick (I think he was a 3rd, but don't have time to look it up).

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

With Seattle signing this wide receiver, is Brandon out of their picture now?
    http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Seahawks have signed tight end Chris Baker to a two-year deal and wide receiver Ruvell Martin to a one-year deal.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    With Seattle signing this wide receiver, is Brandon out of their picture now?
    http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Seahawks have signed tight end Chris Baker to a two-year deal and wide receiver Ruvell Martin to a one-year deal.
    No, he's a 5th or 6th string, special teams type guy. Signing him would not impact whether or not they tried to sign or trade for Marshall or another play making receiver.

7. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    No, he's a 5th or 6th string, special teams type guy. Signing him would not impact whether or not they tried to sign or trade for Marshall or another play making receiver.
    I agree, however, typically teams go after their big targets first and then work their way down to lesser players as free agency progresses. So, this doesn't mean Seattle won't sign him to an offer sheet, but it's looking less and less likely with each passing day. Especially now that they're targeting other guys at the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I agree, however, typically teams go after their big targets first and then work their way down to lesser players as free agency progresses. So, this doesn't mean Seattle won't sign him to an offer sheet, but it's looking less and less likely with each passing day. Especially now that they're targeting other guys at the same position.
    Agreed. Once he didn't get an immediate offer, I figure the liklyhood of them offering him a contract dropped way off. Much more likely they will try and work out a trade.

I just wanted to let Carol know that Ruvell wasn't an alternative for Marshall, as he might not even make the team, or the field as a receiver.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

1st of all, RFA doesn't even kick off until April typically... teams are too focused on draft preparations right now and will wait as long as possible to go after RFAs. Typically in the last 2 weeks of RFA (where you can still sign them) is when most teams put in their offer sheets.

2nd of all, some fans seem to have their head in the clouds about what can actually be received for Marshall... 6th pick lol... dreamers... that's nice and all... but the NFL doesn't really work that way. Draft picks = very cheap long-term contracts and that is VERY important to NFL owners. It is hard for personnel guys to make moves that will not only cost long-term cost-effective contracts but tie you to a guy for big money, particularly one with Brandon's past.

The reality is that we have the leverage, I wouldn't count on a very high 1st rd pick and maybe not one at all, but you CAN get good value without getting a 1st rd pick... but it would imo require two quality starters (David Harris types) and a replacement for Marshall or some combination of 2-4th rd picks and quality player package. You can get creative and realistically the draft is a crap shoot.. I would just say that Marshall is a great player and it is tough to part with him, I can see how some fans would struggle wtih that, but the reality is that he essentially quit on the team in a situation that was playoff-like... competitors, great players don't pass up those situations, their competitive nature and loyalty to their teammates is too strong... Marshall did that and I no longer consider him an integral part of the team which isn't to say you have to trade him, but if a fair value deal comes up, creative or not... you really just take it. Marshall is not the difference between this team being a championship team and not being one... that's the bottomline.

My dad is a big seahawks fan and I would mind seeing him in Seattle there is only 3 NFL teams I wouldn't mind seeing him on and that is Seattle, Denver, or Miami

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information