Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle's silence says Marshall's move unlikely

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I just go back to the fact that Mike Anderson, a beloved Bronco, was suspended for 4 times as many games as Marshall has in his career. It took failed druig tests for Anderson to get suspended (they don't announce or suspend on the first failed test), which meant if he smoked weed -- or inhaled too much second hand smoke for the third time -- he would have been suspended for one year.

Not too many people were saying, "cut Anderson, we can't risk keeping him on the team and having him get a one year suspenson."

Who's Mike Anderson? Yea, you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Who's Mike Anderson? Yea, you get my drift.
    Make one, and I am sure I will get it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Make one, and I am sure I will get it.

Anderson was nowhere close to Brandon in terms of importance on the field. Replace Anderson with Tatum, Clinton, Olandis, and you get the same result. Also, Mike doesnt have the history of baggage that Brandon has so thus thats why fans are concerned about paying big money to a guy who is just not able to learn from his mistakes. This dates back to his college days and he has yet to go one year without having some kind of issue both on and off the field. So your comparison with Anderson was weak sauce at best. Did that help explain it for you?

Anderson was nowhere close to Brandon in terms of importance on the field. Replace Anderson with Tatum, Clinton, Olandis, and you get the same result. Also, Mike doesnt have the history of baggage that Brandon has so thus thats why fans are concerned about paying big money to a guy who is just not able to learn from his mistakes. This dates back to his college days and he has yet to go one year without having some kind of issue both on and off the field. So your comparison with Anderson was weak sauce at best. Did that help explain it for you?
    Come on North, most of the people 'concerned' about paying Brandon big money, don't even want him on the team at the $2.5 million tender offer, or franchised in '11 and '12. They are saying take a 2nd round pick for him, just get him off the team.

In most cases, the argument is "one more mistake and he's gone", but he's yet to be suspended for as long as Anderson, and Anderson was one puff away from a year long suspension and people didn't call for him to go, because he was beloved and the vocal minority currently have their mob mentality focused on Marshall (I'm curious who will be next).

As this is an uncapped year, and Bowlen claims there are no money problems with the team, he could give Marshall a long term contract, and give him is bonus money in such a way that isn't prorated for the life of the contract, so that even if he got suspended down the road, there would be no cap consequences. Or, keep him on the tender, then franchise him and then franchise him.

The point is that most of the people that want him gone, want him gone based on emotion, not based on production or value.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Come on North, most of the people 'concerned' about paying Brandon big money, don't even want him on the team at the $2.5 million tender offer, or franchised in '11 and '12. They are saying take a 2nd round pick for him, just get him off the team.

In most cases, the argument is "one more mistake and he's gone", but he's yet to be suspended for as long as Anderson, and Anderson was one puff away from a year long suspension and people didn't call for him to go, because he was beloved and the vocal minority currently have their mob mentality focused on Marshall (I'm curious who will be next).

As this is an uncapped year, and Bowlen claims there are no money problems with the team, he could give Marshall a long term contract, and give him is bonus money in such a way that isn't prorated for the life of the contract, so that even if he got suspended down the road, there would be no cap consequences. Or, keep him on the tender, then franchise him and then franchise him.

The point is that most of the people that want him gone, want him gone based on emotion, not based on production or value.

Can you blame them? Seriously? The reason why is because we've seen the damage done by other players who have personal irresponsibility and dont want to waste money on a guy who is travelling very fast down that path. The only reason Marshall is being singled out is because he is the only one on this team with a crapload of baggage. And your kidding yourself if you think that Marshall and his agent is going to sign a contract with stipulations about his off the field behavior. Brandon has already seen with TO that some team will take him without all the clauses. It may not be happening at this moment but just like Michael Vick somebody will eventually do it.

At the end of the day man its one thing to have had an incident like Rod Smith and Mike Anderson where you used bad judgement at one specific moment. Its something entirely different when a player continues to have issues for the length of his career and doesnt seem to be GETTING IT. Does Brandon deserve more money based on his on the field performance? Absolutely. Unfortuantely for him there is more that goes into one's contract when you have a troubled past and it ultimately could cost you time spent on the field because of it. Does Denver really want to shovel out money for a guy who could end up killing his girlfriend or doing something else which would get him kicked out of the league for any length of time? I dont think so.

For me, its not about emotion. Its just im tired of hearing the same tripe coming from this guy about "learning" from his indescretions. But, if no team bites on his tender than im all for him coming back and fullfilling his current contract. After that, if we franchise him so be it but at the end of the day if Brandon is pissed because he isnt getting a contract there is only one person to blame for that. Himself. The reason why no one really cared about Smith or Anderson is because one guy learned and took responsibility for his actions while the other was just a journeyman RB who was easily replaced. It would suck to lose Brandon's talents but sometimes you have to cut your losses so that you can move forward.

6. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

On Marshall, Seahawks should consider an offer sheet end run

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 9:14 AM ET
    After word emerged that the Seahawks were interested in receiver Brandon Marshall, multiple reports surfaced that the Broncos will consider nothing less than that to which they're entitled under the rules of restricted free agency -- the Seahawks' first-round draft pick, the sixth overall selection in the 2010 draft.

Even though the Seahawks also have the 14th overall pick, which they acquired last year from the Broncos for the second-round pick that became cornerback Alphonso Smith, the Broncos apparently aren't interested in talking trade. Instead, Denver wants the Seahawks to sign Marshall to an offer sheet -- at which time the Broncos would have seven days to decide whether to match or to accept Seattle's pick in round one, the sixth overall pick in the draft.

So what should the Seahawks do? As we suggested in a recent item at SportingNews.com, they should offer the 14th overall pick to any team that is able to finagle Marshall for a selection in the bottom half of round one.

More specifically, the Seahawks should offer the opportunity to the Chargers, who hold the 28th pick in the first round.

The steps are simple. San Diego would sign Marshall to an offer sheet containing terms to which the Seahawks know Marshall will agree. (A poison pill should be included to ensure that the Broncos won't match the offer; arguably, a poison pill must be included to head off an eventual accusation of collusion from the NFLPA.)

The offer sheet would include a provision that defers for five days or after the deal becomes effective the payment of any money, so that the Chargers never have to actually cut a check to Marshall.

Then, after the offer sheet isn't matched and Marshall becomes a Charger and the 28th overall pick flows from San Diego to Denver, the Chargers would send Marshall to Seattle for the 14th overall pick.

There would be no salary cap consequences, since there is no salary cap. (Also, we vaguely recall similar sign-and-trade arrangements from past years featuring structures that allow the deals to be made without a cap hit to the team that signs the player to the contract and then trades him.)

We're aware of no impediment to such a transaction. Though there's technically a bit of collusion at work, it's the kind of collusion that the NFLPA should welcome, since it ultimately encourages player movement. In the end, the Chargers get Marshall out of the division, they move from No. 28 to No. 14 in round one, and the Chargers have the satisfaction of sticking it to an arch rival.

We know it sounds too good to be true, and we're in the process of asking around to see if any portion of the CBA prevents such a transaction. But it strikes us as a simple and easy way to get around Denver's apparent refusal to take the 14th overall pick for Marshall -- and the mere possibility of such a move might be all the Seahawks need to soften up the Broncos to take pick No. 14 instead of pick No. 6.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post

After word emerged that the Seahawks were interested in receiver Brandon Marshall, multiple reports surfaced that the Broncos will consider nothing less than that to which they're entitled under the rules of restricted free agency -- the Seahawks' first-round draft pick, the sixth overall selection in the 2010 draft.

Even though the Seahawks also have the 14th overall pick, which they acquired last year from the Broncos for the second-round pick that became cornerback Alphonso Smith, the Broncos apparently aren't interested in talking trade. Instead, Denver wants the Seahawks to sign Marshall to an offer sheet -- at which time the Broncos would have seven days to decide whether to match or to accept Seattle's pick in round one, the sixth overall pick in the draft.

So what should the Seahawks do? As we suggested in a recent item at SportingNews.com, they should offer the 14th overall pick to any team that is able to finagle Marshall for a selection in the bottom half of round one.

More specifically, the Seahawks should offer the opportunity to the Chargers, who hold the 28th pick in the first round.

The steps are simple. San Diego would sign Marshall to an offer sheet containing terms to which the Seahawks know Marshall will agree. (A poison pill should be included to ensure that the Broncos won't match the offer; arguably, a poison pill must be included to head off an eventual accusation of collusion from the NFLPA.)

The offer sheet would include a provision that defers for five days or after the deal becomes effective the payment of any money, so that the Chargers never have to actually cut a check to Marshall.

Then, after the offer sheet isn't matched and Marshall becomes a Charger and the 28th overall pick flows from San Diego to Denver, the Chargers would send Marshall to Seattle for the 14th overall pick.

There would be no salary cap consequences, since there is no salary cap. (Also, we vaguely recall similar sign-and-trade arrangements from past years featuring structures that allow the deals to be made without a cap hit to the team that signs the player to the contract and then trades him.)

We're aware of no impediment to such a transaction. Though there's technically a bit of collusion at work, it's the kind of collusion that the NFLPA should welcome, since it ultimately encourages player movement. In the end, the Chargers get Marshall out of the division, they move from No. 28 to No. 14 in round one, and the Chargers have the satisfaction of sticking it to an arch rival.

We know it sounds too good to be true, and we're in the process of asking around to see if any portion of the CBA prevents such a transaction. But it strikes us as a simple and easy way to get around Denver's apparent refusal to take the 14th overall pick for Marshall -- and the mere possibility of such a move might be all the Seahawks need to soften up the Broncos to take pick No. 14 instead of pick No. 6.
    Now this is confusing! So what do the BRONCOS get??

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Way to go Mike, way to give them ideas on how to screw the Broncos. Woohoo! lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Not a ******* thing.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Not a ******* thing.
    I thought I read nothing good for the BRONCOS, but how could this scenerio possibly happen! I don't get it!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I thought I read nothing good for the BRONCOS, but how could this scenerio possibly happen! I don't get it!
    Basically, it would almost be like when NY and SD traded Rivers for Manning in the draft. The idea is that SD would offer a contract to Brandon, sign him and then trade him to Seattle for the 14th overall pick. But, Florio might have a problem when he uses SD as the goat here. If SD were to sign Brandon i wouldnt see them letting him go. Thats like adding more fire to the pit anyway. Could you imagine seeing Marshall and Jackson twice a year? Throw that with Charles and Thomas twice a year and the Broncos would be bottom feeders for quite a long time.

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

The 28th pick.
    I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Or, keep him on the tender, then franchise him and then franchise him.
    This is what my gut says will happen. I've said it before, BM is more than likely to be with us in 2010.

I'm also one that believes if Denver can get value for him, let him go. But ONLY if they get value for him.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post

Won't happen. That's collusion pure and simple. Even if it did, my guess is that the NFL would probably award Seattle's #6 to us as a penalty.

18. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Won't happen. That's collusion pure and simple. Even if it did, my guess is that the NFL would probably award Seattle's #6 to us as a penalty.
    Works for me. Actually would love to get SAN 28 and SEA 6. Could turn them into a lot of #2s and 3s. This year and next.

I do not know of anyone that wants to give him away without getting value for him.

Most folks see it like it is he may never mature and always be a wife beating away from missing 8+ games.
    And let there be no doubt giving him a huge guaranteed contract will almost guarantee he has another FUBAR.

The only thing that has kept him in check the last couple of years is the promise of a huge payday. IMO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information