Thread: LaDainian Tomlinson set to meet with Vikings

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Smile LaDainian Tomlinson set to meet with Vikings

Will LT join forces with AP?
    Adrian Peterson's production through his first three NFL seasons gives him a chance to one day be considered Hall of Fame material. By the end of the week, there is a good possibility Peterson will be playing in front of a guy who appears to have a place in Canton, Ohio, already locked up.

Longtime San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson is expected to visit with the Vikings on Thursday, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, and if an agreement on playing time and money can be reached, he could be a Viking shortly thereafter.

Tomlinson, who will turn 31 on June 23, has been identified as the Vikings' top choice to take over the third-down role that Chester Taylor held until he signed with the Chicago Bears last week. Tomlinson was let go by the Chargers after nine seasons late last month and this will be his first known visit.

The NFL's MVP in 2006, Tomlinson is eighth on the league's career rushing list with 12,490 yards and is second in rushing touchdowns (138) and third in total touchdowns (153). Tomlinson has been an iron man for much of his career and, not surprisingly, has started to show the effects of the punishment he has taken since being the fifth pick overall in the 2001 draft.

Tomlinson missed two games early in 2009 because of a sprained ankle and finished with career lows in rushing yards (730), carries (223) and receptions (20). It marked the first time in his career that Tomlinson failed to rush for 1,000 yards.

While Tomlinson would like to remain a starter, that job might not be available to him -- at least with a competitive team. Tomlinson never has won a Super Bowl ring and, much like with Brett Favre this past season, he could be attracted by the opportunity to join a franchise that is expected to make another run at the title in 2010.

The exact role Tomlinson would play behind Peterson -- both are Texas natives -- would need to be clarified. Taylor turned into an outstanding third-down back because he was extremely adept as a receiver and in pass protection. The Chargers, meanwhile, had been using Darren Sproles as their third-down back.

Tomlinson isn't in Taylor's class as a blocker, but he is an extremely capable receiver. Tomlinson has caught more than 50 passes eight times in his career and that attribute might be a sales point for the Vikings as they try to convince Favre to return.

The Vikings' hope would be that by employing Tomlinson in a limited role, it would keep him fresh and thus make him a dangerous 1-2 punch with Peterson. Tomlinson also might be able to help Peterson improve his game in various facets, including holding onto the football.

Peterson has rushed for 4,484 yards in three regular seasons, but has fumbled 20 times and lost 13. That doesn't include the two fumbles (none lost) he was charged with in the Vikings' 31-28 overtime loss to New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game. Tomlinson has fumbled 27 times and lost 12 in nine regular seasons with only three (two lost) in the past three years.

The Peterson-Tomlinson combination would be interesting considering the latter's remarks last summer. Tomlinson raised a few eyebrows when he took issue with Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown's comments to The Sporting News in which he lavished praise on Peterson.

"The difference with me is you can put me on that field and there will be nothing I can't do," Tomlinson told the Los Angeles Times. "I won't have to come off the field. Adrian has to come off sometimes on third down. Running routes, he's still not there yet. Great downhill runner, powerful, fast, all that stuff. ... But anything on that field you want me to do -- throw it, block -- I can do it. That's what I pride myself on is not having any weakness. And that's what makes me the best back."

Vikings coach Brad Childress stood up for Peterson, saying: "LaDainian is a hell of a back and he's entitled to his opinion. I'm going to tell you, my guy is the best football player in the National Football League, and he's the best running back in the National Football League, and I believe that."
    I pretty much seen this coming...
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Only if he wants to be the 3rd down back.

3. The Following User High Fived broncobryce For This Post:

That's bad news for that division. LT still scored 11 TDs and can catch the ball.

All the LT haters are silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

they just dumped chester so lt could be a great fit,to spell peterson or replace him in the event of injury or prolonged fumbleitis

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    That's bad news for that division. LT still scored 11 TDs and can catch the ball.

All the LT haters are silly.
    Do you think they will be giving him the ball at the goal line and not Adrian Peterson? I don't. LT's value at this point is a goal line back or 3rd down. The guy only averages 3 yards a carry these days.

Quote Originally Posted by broncobryce View Post
    Do you think they will be giving him the ball at the goal line and not Adrian Peterson? I don't. LT's value at this point is a goal line back or 3rd down. The guy only averages 3 yards a carry these days.
    I think that if AP carried them down the field and he needs a breather LT will be lining up there at times, yes. I know that Chester Taylor was given chances to produce down there with Favre as their QB, and they were a passing team last year, so if he doesn't come back LT has even more of a chance to produce.

He will get enough carries to warrant the signing, and he was a 3 YPC back as a full time starter on a SD line that isn't on the same level as Minnesota's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

8. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/sp...ll/12jets.html
    When the Jets released Thomas Jones after he declined to take a pay cut, the prevailing analysis was that he might have slowed at the end of last season. But the Jets lost an experienced veteran who was a tremendous presence in the locker room. Might they be trying to lure someone like Jones to replace him?

How about LaDainian Tomlinson, the former Charger and future Hall of Famer who rushed for more than a 1,000 yards a season from 2001 to 2008? Tomlinson, who was clearly diminished in 2009 (a career-low 730 yards, but 12 touchdowns), will visit the Jets on Friday.

Tomlinson left the Vikings without a contract on Thursday evening after two days of meetings. Adding Tomlinson to the backfield would give the Vikings a powerhouse combination with Adrian Peterson. A fast indoor field and one of the best offensive lines in the N.F.L. might still attract Tomlinson.

With the Jets, Tomlinson would probably back up Shonn Greene, a second-year pro who emerged during the playoffs. Tomlinson, 30, would probably get more plays with the Jets than with the Vikings, because Greene is less established than Peterson. The Jets also have Leon Washington, but he is returning from a serious leg injury.

Extra plays may not be such a good thing, though. Limiting Tomlinson’s touches could help him regain some of the burst that he was clearly lacking in the Chargers’ playoff loss to the Jets.

Tomlinson had success playing for Brian Schottenheimer, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, when he was in San Diego.

Jones was released because the Jets did not want to pay him a $3 million roster bonus and a $2.8 million salary for 2010. Tomlinson would presumably have to play for less than $5.8 million. Tomlinson may visit the Eagles and the Saints after he visits the Jets.
    I don't want him in the AFC! Behind a good line he's still dangerous.
    In Elway We Trust

10. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information