Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: It's time for Brandon Marshall to go

brandon lloyd played in 2 games this year, and in one f those got more yards than eddie in any of the previous 14. eddie slumped this year. NFL qb's dont refuse to throw to the open receiver, thats not how football works. hopefully eddie comes back full steam next year.

2. The Following User High Fived tsiguy96 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Interesting reading all the negatives people say about Marshall along with the opposite spectrum positives. I think the answer lies in the middle though.

IMO, his stats are inflated. 3 seasons ago, he was pretty much the only target that a young strong armed QB had. They developed a rapport and it worked. Marshall has the ability to out-muscle DB's and "post up" on them. So, he's open for the 7-12 yard out's and hitches. 2 years ago, the offense completely relied on the pass to do ANYTHING. Once again, marshall was looked for in the "low post" for the easy layup...which he usually delivered. This past season was a transition. A new QB to a new system and Marshall was the safety net. It was pretty obvious that Orton was more comfortable looking for Marshall and probably for the same reasons Cutler was.

Bottom line...Marshall is a very large target. He can run a 10 yard out, shield off a DB and make the catch. He is the consumate "possession receiver". Yes, he'll break one here and there for a TD...but history dictates, it's not usually going to happen in the red zone...if it happens at all. (327 receptions, 25 TD's?). I really think Marshall's three 100 reception seasons are the direct result of a combination of QB comfort level and lack of other options. Put a guy like Marques Colston in Marshall's exact same situation the past 3 years and his numbers likely look the same. Write it down if you want, but if Marshall goes to Seattle and plays with TJ...he will not have another season with 90+ receptions as long as Hasselbeck and TJ are on the roster.

So, I'll agree he has value as a solid possession receiver that can get you the 8 yard catch on 3rd an 7...and can even catch 21 balls in a game if needed (and the defense lets him have his way while stopping every other aspect of the offense), but is he an elite receiver? Are his skills (not his numbers) in the same class as the top 10-15 receivers in the league? probably not. But if someone is willing to compensate us as though he's a top 5 player...I'm all for it.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Royal had 80 less yards on 64 less catches

Lets be honest here who has better YAC.
    Um... Where are you getting this stat?

Royal had 350 or so yards this year...

LAST year he had nearly 1000 yards... but he also had nearly 100 receptions.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Agree with Woody's article...time to go, BM.

JMO...

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

i like marshall but the reality is if we pay him...what stops other players from thinking they cant act up and still get paid...we are suppsoedly transfering to a tough, high character football team....no????
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

8. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

they will get paid... on other teams. I would prefer if the coach simply earns respect, rather than demanding it. This "changing to a high-character" team sounds great on paper. People want to believe thats what they have in NE. But NE has players asking for more money...and.. the coaches simply trading away top names away without them knowing (to the Raiders of all teams). They have NTs going public with how disrespectful they think it would be to get the franchise tag. They have coaches that got caught cheating.

Every team has their drama. Pittsburgh who is considered to be a top franchise in the NFL... has a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB in trouble again.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

10. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    they will get paid... on other teams. I would prefer if the coach simply earns respect, rather than demanding it. This "changing to a high-character" team sounds great on paper. People want to believe thats what they have in NE. But NE has players asking for more money...and.. the coaches simply trading away top names away without them knowing (to the Raiders of all teams). They have NTs going public with how disrespectful they think it would be to get the franchise tag. They have coaches that got caught cheating.

Every team has their drama. Pittsburgh who is considered to be a top franchise in the NFL... has a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB in trouble again.
    you know there comes a time where players are just selfish tools ya know....and its not always the coach...in this case some instances were MCD but marshall started this train long before many even knew who josh mcdaniels was....

the fact is your right they will get paid elsewhere...but we shouldnt give them a free pass to act out if they perform on the field just becasue they could get the money elsewhere
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

12. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Um... Where are you getting this stat?

Royal had 350 or so yards this year...

LAST year he had nearly 1000 yards... but he also had nearly 100 receptions.

YAC is what I was quoting he had 80 less yards on 60 some odd less passes.
    Sorry if I did not make it clear as we were discussing Yards after contact. At the time.

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Default some interesting opinions from a seattle newspaper comments page:

Dukeshire says:
    March 8, 2010 at 8:41 am
    Yes Eric, Scout.com's mock is great. It consolidates and homogenizes many other mocks into one grand display of guesswork and suppositional nonsense.

Moving on; it's hard to imagine that the Seahawks were so undecided about Marshall and whether to give the 6 for him (especially with Bates and Fischs' personal history with him) that they had to meet him face to face to decide. More likely, this was about selling the 'Hawks to him and frame a contract, then see if a trade can be struck with Denver. I believe they had to know they weren't prepared to give the 6 for him before they brought him to town. I think it's pretty clear, Carroll and Schneider are not willing to leverage the draft for a complimentary player, regardless how great the production. They seem prepared to lose him if necessary, in order to work a deal that is deemed fair, to them. I have a lot more confidence in them today than I did Friday morning.

Flag commentSeahawkFan12 says:
    March 8, 2010 at 8:43 am
    Pass on Marshall. Let's stop thinking like sheep and think critically. Is he a bright talent? Hell yes. Could he make a big impact here? Yes. Is he worth the #6 OVERALL pick? Not even close.

The hype around this transaction comes from a classic "fear of loss" attitude.

Use both 1st round picks to bolster the O-line. If Claussen is available, take him. Draft an RB. ANY of these are better LONG TERM solutions for this team. We are not that far out of contention, especially with AZ on the decline.

Pass on Marshall. Let him go to the Bengals, where the local law enforcement is already prepared for players like him.

Flag commentDukeshire says:
    March 8, 2010 at 8:44 am
    Scout.com's mock is great. It consolidates and homogenizes many other mocks into one grand display of guesswork and suppositional nonsense.

Moving on; it's hard to imagine that the Seahawks were so undecided about Marshall and whether to give the 6 for him (especially with Bates and Fischs' personal history with him) that they had to meet him face to face to decide. More likely, this was about selling the 'Hawks to him and frame a contract, then see if a trade can be struck with Denver. I believe they had to know they weren't prepared to give the 6 for him before they brought him to town. I think it's pretty clear, Carroll and Schneider are not willing to leverage the draft for a complimentary player, regardless how great the production. They seem prepared to lose him if necessary, in order to work a deal that is deemed fair, to them. I have a lot more confidence in them today than I did Friday morning.

Flag comment

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seaha...#ixzz0hcktvN1A

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    you know there comes a time where players are just selfish tools ya know....and its not always the coach...in this case some instances were MCD but marshall started this train long before many even knew who josh mcdaniels was....

the fact is your right they will get paid elsewhere...but we shouldnt give them a free pass to act out if they perform on the field just becasue they could get the money elsewhere

You have to remember to some wins, right now, are all that count. Not giving a damn about what happens next year.

Now I'm not advocating losing seasons after each other.

But some times you have to bit the bullet to get better long term.

mike was a quick fix guy and did not seem to have long term goals, IMO. it was always going for the Expensive FA to fill a holes created by lack of planning for the future.

The only time I can remember him doing this was when he drafted Al Wilson at the time the LB corp was very strong. Then again when he picked a replacement for AL in the second round to use as leverage to get him signed.

But we all know that was a lousy choice, as were most of his picks in the draft.

I kinda like the motto No pain, no gain.

MBM is the root of all the issues with the team, is was not Joshes fault that he is an immature person that is constantly making trouble or problems for himself.

Could Josh handled the benching better, maybe but when the mircoscope is on BM and his antics just maybe Josh thought he needed tough love for the last time.

Does anyone really think he could have gotten off the podium without divulging why his just announced pro blower was being bench?

It would have come out somehow some way, but then I guess for some it would have been all right for Josh not to bench him of scheduler and allowed the TEAM to go into total disarray.

For those of you that can't wrap your jehad's around it. Sometimes when things are so out of control you just have to lay down the law.

I suspect that is what it was, when Pat had to fire mike and hire a tough little sheriff to clean up Dodge city.

16. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

YEs.. you have MANY reasons you could say. use the NE "he has an injured extremity"... upper extremity if you want to talk about his head. You can say MANY things. You DON'T accuse a player of faking an injury. Because thats what it is, an unfounded accusation. Thats something that not only Marshall sees, but other players in the locker room as well. If that wasn't true, you wouldn't see ex-NFL players JUMP all over that part of McD's press conference. Even those that have been critical of Marshall.

This "cleaning up the Broncos" thing sounds great, and cute.... but the execution of it is all I care about. Thats somethign I haven't been impressed with at all.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    YEs.. you have MANY reasons you could say. use the NE "he has an injured extremity"... upper extremity if you want to talk about his head. You can say MANY things. You DON'T accuse a player of faking an injury. Because thats what it is, an unfounded accusation. Thats something that not only Marshall sees, but other players in the locker room as well. If that wasn't true, you wouldn't see ex-NFL players JUMP all over that part of McD's press conference. Even those that have been critical of Marshall.

This "cleaning up the Broncos" thing sounds great, and cute.... but the execution of it is all I care about. Thats somethign I haven't been impressed with at all.
    actually the media from dove valley said"he insinuated that marshall was exaggerating his injury" nowhere will you find a "" saying mcd accused brandon of "faking an injury"
    here's a piece about it....
    "There's a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things that are much more difficult to deal with than what he has," McDaniels said, a phrase he repeated three times during his news conference.

"It's never going to be acceptable while I'm here and while this staff is here and while we're trying to build our staff with this philosophy. I don't know if it was acceptable before, but it isn't going to be now and it never will be. And this isn't about sending a message, it's about fielding a team that wants to go out there and win and give us the best opportunity to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    actually the media from dove valley said"he insinuated that marshall was exaggerating his injury" nowhere will you find a "" saying mcd accused brandon of "faking an injury"
    here's a piece about it....
    "There's a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things that are much more difficult to deal with than what he has," McDaniels said, a phrase he repeated three times during his news conference.

"It's never going to be acceptable while I'm here and while this staff is here and while we're trying to build our staff with this philosophy. I don't know if it was acceptable before, but it isn't going to be now and it never will be. And this isn't about sending a message, it's about fielding a team that wants to go out there and win and give us the best opportunity to do that."
    Tell that to Schlereth and other NFL players that. When they heard his conference, thats EXACTLY what they said.... McDaniels accusing Marshall of faking an injury. YOu can word it however you wish.. but we can see what is being said.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information