Thread: Leftwich's sudden fall, unemployment hard to figure

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Leftwich's sudden fall, unemployment hard to figure

it's been one of the fastest and weirdest falls by a quarterback in NFL history. Twelve months ago, Byron Leftwich was the starting quarterback for a Jacksonville Jaguars team many pegged as a 2007 playoff team.

Today he is looking for a job, with nothing in the works. He is an NFL hobo, searching for a place to call home.

It's so bad that Quinn Gray, the man who was third team behind Leftwich in Jacksonville, is visiting teams, while Leftwich just hopes for a shot.

How can that be? There's a reason Gray was listed third on that Jaguars depth chart. Gray simply isn't as good as Leftwich.

Yet as Gray visited with the Oakland Raiders last week, and has drawn interest from the Green Bay Packers, Leftwich is in South Florida working out, no job in sight.

"I know I'll get on somewhere," Leftwich said. "As long as it's not football season, I'm not going to worry that much. I want to get somewhere before the draft so I can have time to learn a new system."

The Atlanta Falcons released him last month for cap reasons. He was scheduled to make $3.4 million, and the Falcons didn't want to pay him that on a rebuilding team. They even told Leftwich that their so-so line was not suited for his style, which is a pocket passer who doesn't move that well.

But a month after being let go, as teams sign backup quarterbacks to $3 million a year deals, Leftwich is still without a team.

How has this happened? Is somebody killing him around the league? Is his reputation being smeared?

"I'm not sure why he hasn't signed," one personnel director said. "Maybe he's pricing himself too high. Maybe it's the injury history. Maybe it's because he doesn't run that well. It's still hard to believe he isn't signed."

In 2006, before suffering an ankle injury, Leftwich threw 15 touchdowns and five interceptions for the Jaguars, throwing for 2,123 yards in 11 games. Projected over 16 games, he would have finished with 3,088 yards, 22 TDs and seven interceptions.

When David Garrard came in to finish the season, he struggled. So even though coach Jack Del Rio had a personality clash with Leftwich -- they didn't like each other at all -- Del Rio, on the advice of new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, made Leftwich the starter last February.

Both Koetter and quarterbacks coach Mike Shula were said to be firmly in Leftwich's corner. Two weeks before the Jaguars cut Leftwich, Koetter raved about him after a scrimmage.

Two days before Leftwich was let go, Leftwich said Del Rio told him to get ready for the Tennessee Titans, only to be stunned by his release a couple days later, nine days before the regular-season opener. Del Rio was the one who made the decision; their personality clash obviously had something to do with it.

Leftwich, who didn't want to get into specifics of his Jacksonville release, signed with the Falcons two weeks later. He would get two starts. In the first one, he took a beating by the New Orleans Saints defense and was forced out with an ankle injury. He was sacked seven times, so even though he completed 15 of 23 passes for 145 yards and one touchdown the game was a disaster.

"It was sad watching that," said an NFC coach who watched the tape closely.

There would be one more Atlanta start for Leftwich, but he wasn't really healthy enough and he struggled. He eventually had screws put into his right ankle to help the healing.

Leftwich calls the right ankle the "other" ankle, since the left one he injured in 2006 was the same leg he hurt during his college career at Marshall. The screws from the right ankle came out in January and he's running again. There are no screws now in either ankle.

The injury stuff, though, has to be turning off teams. They have to wonder if he can stay healthy.

There is also some misinformation out there that Leftwich isn't a hard worker. According to coaches who have worked with him, that's simply not true. He loves the film room and he understands passing-game concepts. One has to wonder how that information is being spread. Leftwich wasn't sure.

Seeing Leftwich, who is only 28 and five years removed from being the No. 7 overall pick in the draft, without a team while Trent Green gets a $3 million a year deal from the St. Louis Rams makes no sense. Leftwich deserves another chance. He isn't asking for a big contract.

"I just want to get back in, get a chance to show what I can do," Leftwich said.

I really like Leftwich as a person. They don't come much better. He is fun, enjoys playing and is a fan of the game. There was never any of the I'm-too-big-for-you stuff at any point during his career.

People who worked with him in Jacksonville still have him on speed dial. I'm talking public relations people, video men and the training room staff. That's a sign that a player is a good guy. And Leftwich is that.

He's also shown that he can be a good quarterback. Why somebody hasn't given him a deal is one of the great mysteries of this offseason.

Leftwich recently took a trip to the Turks and Caicos. I asked him if he did any snorkeling, but he said no.

Why? He said the way his luck has been going a shark might have taken a chunk out of one his ankles.

At least he still has his sense of humor. But what's happening to his career right now isn't anything to laugh about. Somebody needs to sign him.

If Green and Joey Harrington and David Carr and Cleo Lemon and Gray all get action, why the heck isn't Leftwich? That's a hard one to figure.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

I don't get it either. Someone loses their starting qb to an injury and his phone will probably start ringing.

Bring him in now and you start to have a qb controversy. Maybe.
    Grade: B-
    12 – RClady, OT, Boise State – excellent
    41 – ERoyal, WR, Virginia Tech – not a value?
    104 – KLichtensteiger, C, Bowling Green – excellent
    115 – JWilliams, CB, Kent State - not a value
    139 – RTorian, RB, Arizona State - not a value
    148 – C Powell DT, Virginia Tech – journeyman type?
    183 – S Larsen, ILB, Arizona – excellent value
    220 -- J Barrett, S, Arizona State – excellent value
    227 -- P Hills, FB, Arkansas – excellent value

Free Agent: love the Woodyard signing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

it is a little strange-- he's no super star, but he's certainly as good as most of the backups around the league, and probably better than at least a few starters i can name *cough*brodiecroyle*cough*. . . . you'd think somebody would at least bring him in as a backup, or to push a shaky starter. . .

where'd that article come from?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

I'm not suprised one bit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    it is a little strange-- he's no super star, but he's certainly as good as most of the backups around the league, and probably better than at least a few starters i can name *cough*brodiecroyle*cough*. . . . you'd think somebody would at least bring him in as a backup, or to push a shaky starter. . .

where'd that article come from?
    Pete Prisco

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10717398
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

6. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post

thanks. . .

not a bad piece, considering the source-- prisco is a serious hack. . . how much do you think fat albert's agent paid him to write that?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

8. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I've never been on the Leftwich band-wagon, as I think he's nothing but a backup. That said, this is very strange.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Prisco is a liar.

I don't know a single person with the Jags that likes him.

He's a tough person , but not a good qb JMO

I'd rather have him than ramsey... but bowlen isn't going to pay for him this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by joshxhannah View Post
    I'd rather have him than ramsey... but bowlen isn't going to pay for him this year.
    Um. No. Leftwich would be killed back there. Slow feet and a slow release. Plus he is a douche.

14. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew25 View Post
    Um. No. Leftwich would be killed back there. Slow feet and a slow release. Plus he is a douche.
    Is that why Del Rio waited until before the season started to not only take away his spot as a starter, but cut him from the team? Was that a move to stick it to him?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Is that why Del Rio waited until before the season started to not only take away his spot as a starter, but cut him from the team? Was that a move to stick it to him?
    A bit of that, and Shack Harris and Del Rio were in the middle of a power struggle. Basically if Garrard sucked Del Rio would be the Vikings assistant LB coach.

17. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew25 View Post
    A bit of that, and Shack Harris and Del Rio were in the middle of a power struggle. Basically if Garrard sucked Del Rio would be the Vikings assistant LB coach.
    Cool info, thanks.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information