Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14451686

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels received accolades as a young genius when Denver started the 2009 season 6-0. He also received the full brunt of criticism when the Broncos lost eight of their last 10 games.

Meanwhile, general manager Brian Xanders was all but in-visible from both praise and blame, though he was influential in all major decisions, such as signing Brian Dawkins as a free agent, as well as trading away a first-round draft pick to select Alphonso Smith high in the second round. That's because McDaniels was the public face of the organization.

The exposure imbalance is contrary to how the organization functions, however.

"Call us whatever you want, we're peers in building this football team," McDaniels said of Xanders. "He is absolutely an integral part of every decision we make — and I'll emphasize 'we' — because we don't make any decisions unless we think it's right for the Broncos.

"Sometimes that means it's my idea and then I talk to Brian about some things and then we either watch tape or talk about it more, then we decide it is a good idea. Or some things are his ideas. There's plenty of ideas that I have or he has that, after conversing, there's no life to it. Nobody finds out about it because nothing happens unless the two of us think it's the best thing to do for the Broncos."

It's not a stretch to suggest the next two weeks will be critical for the Broncos' brain trust in shaping the 2010 season. Beginning today, Xanders will be in Indianapolis for the week-long NFL scouting combine. There, he and scouting director Matt Russell and pro personnel director Keith Kidd will lead the evaluations of college prospects in preparation for the April 22-24 draft.

The combine is also where agents and team executives gather in coffee shops, restaurants and hidden nooks in hotel hallways to discuss trades and potential free agents. The NFL's free agency and trading period begins March 5.

"To me, we just had an interesting year. It was a fun year," Xanders said. "But we've got to get better than 8-8."

That likely means more player movement. Brandon Marshall, the team's leading receiver in 2009, and tight end Tony Scheffler are among the more prominent Broncos who are not expected back this season. As for additions, Xanders and McDaniels will likely concentrate on players on the offensive and defensive lines.

"It's tough to change, but there's no team that doesn't change every year," Xanders said. "The Saints were 8-8 (in 2008) and they made dramatic changes on the defensive side with both their coaching staff and players, to where it put them over the hump to win the Super Bowl. Change is a constant with every football team. Our change may have involved bigger decisions than what people are used to (this past year), but we're doing what we think will help the Denver Broncos win football games."

After spending 14 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, Xanders was hired by Mike Shanahan as assistant general manager in 2008. After Shana-han was fired after that season, Xanders was among the Broncos' five-man coaching search committee that hired McDaniels. Xanders wrote a four-page report to his fellow committee members explaining why he thought McDaniels should be hired.

"I had actually interviewed coaches such as Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Smith, Jim Caldwell and Jason Garrett," Xanders said. "Of the 17 interviews I've been through, I was excited the most about Josh coming to Denver."

Soon after McDaniels was hired, Xanders was promoted to general manager.

"Many football people say in this league you cannot have success or build a winning program unless the general manager and the head coach are on the same page," Xanders said. "That's what we have here."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 14 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Outstanding article that was written.

I marvel at it not drawing major hits from the anti Josh club.

I guess I was interested to see that Xman was pro Josh in the interview process. Perhaps that is a big reason he was promoted to GM. Pat must have thought they would get along well.

I know I do not have toss ay it but I'm a real happy camper the way this seems to be set up,

The HC and GM talking to each other and making sure the changes made are for the best of the TEAM.

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Outstanding article that was written.

I marvel at it not drawing major hits from the anti Josh club.

I guess I was interested to see that Xman was pro Josh in the interview process. Perhaps that is a big reason he was promoted to GM. Pat must have thought they would get along well.

I know I do not have toss ay it but I'm a real happy camper the way this seems to be set up,

The HC and GM talking to each other and making sure the changes made are for the best of the TEAM.

In response to your second and last sentence, have the changes made this last year been the best for the team?
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dean For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    In response to your second and last sentence, have the changes made this last year been the best for the team?
    Cant say they've been great...but cant say they've been destructive either. 50/50

Yes I believe the changes made have been good so far.

We seem to be getting back to holding players responsible for their actions. Getting back to a TEAM 1st mentality, instead of ego struck stars.

Players that are not me 1st stars.

A complete change in failed schemes.

This offseason should further redefine and rebuild this TEAM.

Unlike some I'm wiling to give the guys the time to do so.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

there's an " anti josh club " ?....why ?

Shirley you jest. There is a group of posters that would love to see Josh fail, for whatever reason.

The moves he made.

He got rid of jay.

Will get rid of BM.
    Nolan is not here.

Believes in not ME players.

Wants a TEAM modeled after the NE scheme.

Did away with ZBS.

Signed Paxton.

Signed several X pats.

Picked up the phone.

He smacks his lips.

He is short

Has an EGO (unlike any other HC).

Just because it is WEDnesday.

He is not Mike.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

and don't call me shirley !
    i think i have heard rumors and such that not all fans are pleased....
    but remember those glorious 7 weeks when all was well....
    "those were the days "

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page .............
    i just want to tell you both "good luck and were all counting on you"

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines."

17. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Spencer Larsen by all accounts is a very high calibre individual character-wise. Does this mean that a team of 53 clones of him means Super Bowl?
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

Spencer Larsen by all accounts is a very high calibre individual character-wise. Does this mean that a team of 53 clones of him means Super Bowl?

If they can all play different positions, like OT, OG C, WR, etc etc. I'd take that group in a heart beat.

I'm looking for a selfless team, where they all want to do what is best for the team, someone that does not pout if he does not get the ball yet wants to make plays.

We have pretty good nucleus on this team as we speak, just need a few more LOS players that are good and will play team ball.

Are you telling me as a coach you would not want a team of Spencer's Smart , Versatile players, that will do anything the coach asks of him.

I'd be surprised if you said NO.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

you don't need any talent when you have a TEAM!

look how new england's team mentality has helped them win without any talent. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

look how new england's team mentality has helped them win without any talent. . .
    Absolutely. It never takes talent to win Championships just a team concept.

24. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Sorry, we fielded our "team first" low talent team against KC in the last game of the year and got our asses handed to us by a bottom dweller. We need talent as well. As for the team concept, this is nothing new. Every team employs that concept. Some spit the words out to the media more than others but in the end it takes players performing as a unit to be succesfull in football at any level. We need a team but we also need talent. In addition to talent we need effective schemes on both sides of the ball. Mcd has to do a much better job of game planning on offense to fit the talent he fields each week, he failed the Broncos in a major way last season in the respect IMO. I have higher hopes for 2010 though and am optimistic he can improve as a coach as he improves this team.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information