Just an FYI for those that didn't know. Onions (regular and wild) can kill your dogs. I got home from my business trip and both my dogs were sick. My wife said they had been eating wild onions, since there was no grass in the yard yet and they were the only 'green' things in the yard. I googled it and said, "oh ****"
Apparently onions screw up the red blood cells and can lead to kidney failure and other problems. Both dogs are at the vet getting IV's and it will probably be a few days before I know if they are going to be ok.
Word of caution, if you have wild onions in your yard, you should get rid of them, and don't feed your dogs onions. Even if you have onions in the back yard and figure "my dog has never eaten them, so he must not like onions", go ahead and get rid of the onions. Our dogs had never eaten onions before, but yesterday they both stunk of onions. I think they got sick first, and then since there was no grass, ate the onions, because dogs eat grass when they are sick. Now they are throwing up and have bloody poop.
Bummer. Hope your dogs are ok.
"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold
I guess chocolate is bad for them, too.
Anyway, I hope it turns out okay for your dogs, Tned. I know it's easy for us
on the outside to look at them as just dogs, but to us who have pets, they
become family . . .
Wow, I'm so sorry Tned. I never knew that about onions.
I've heard about chocolate, but all the dogs I've had that have scoffed chocolate haven't ever gotten ill.
"Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde
Add me on Facebook!
Well I will comb my yard for onions! I have a cute lil black toy poodle too! I had no idea and I very much appreciate the post! Hope your pups get healthy and back home soon! Take care!
Aww Tned I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope they are ok.
FYI everyone...grapes and raisins are also poisonous to your dogs and cats.
"Get your ass down to first base and shut up!" -- Troy Tulowitzki
"The other sports are just sports, baseball is love." -- Bryant Gumbel
Nut can kill your dog too if he gets a hold of it.
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE
Hope your dogs get better there Tred! That's horrible news.
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE
sorry to hear this news. I hope they will be O.K.
I never knew that about onions. I will look around my yard. I have heard that rhubarb can kill either a horse or a cow, or something like that (either some horses or cows are susceptible, others not maybe)
Thanks for the warning, Tned... and I'm hoping everything turns out for you and yours...
I feed burger oninons to my dogs all the time, he jumps 10 ft high.
Blood tests were mostly normal, slightly elevated white and red blood cell counts on the male that is in my avvy. Elevated is good, as if they eat enough onions, the red count will go down as the red blood cells break apart. They are going to redo the blood tests tomorrow and if all is good, send them home, but redo blood tests on Thursday or Friday. Apparently the maximum damage comes 5 days after ingestion, so it won't be until the end of the week that we will know for sure, but he thinks they will be ok.
Thank you much for the info.
Something for everyone that loves dogs to think about, here is a short list of things that your dog should never eat.
Fatty Meats - Cause gastroenteritis, pancreatitis. Can result in shock or death.
Chocolate - Causes heart palpitations and can be deadly, especially in smaller dogs
Plants - Plants won't normally hurt dogs, but if they have been sprayed with pesticides or nourished with fertilizer it is very dangerous.
Raisins, grapes, walnuts, and macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs and can cause serious problems, especially with smaller dogs.
If your dog eats something they shouldn't most times you should induce vomiting by giving your dog one tablespoon of peroxide per 10 lbs of body weight. If your dog has ingested something caustic DO NOT induce vomiting.
Contact a vet or poison control center (normally listed in the beginning of your phone book) immediately if you think your pet may have ingested something harmful.
I think it may also be the tolerance level of your dog. My ex fed EVERYTHING to her dog and lived for 15 years. She would feed her a burger with all the fixens and the dog would be happy as can be.
SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)