View Poll Results: What is more valuable to a NFL defense?

Voters
36. This poll is closed
  • Dominant edge rusher

7 19.44%
  • Dominant DT

29 80.56%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is more valuable to a NFL defense...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default What is more valuable to a NFL defense...

...a dominant edge rusher or a dominant DT?

Poll coming..

Adopted Bronco:
    Robert Ayers

Edge Rushers get sacks. DT's help other people get sacks. They are both important but when push comes to shove I would NOT trade Doom for a healthy Jammal Williams any day.

3. The Following User High Fived Carl For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I had to say DT for the simple fact that the best way to beat any passing game is pressure up the middle right into the face of the QB, giving him no place to step up. The best way to beat any running game is also pressure up the middle. Typically, dominant DTs, even if they don't get the sacks themselves, cause sacks by driving QBs out of the pocket and into their DEs. They also clean out O-linemen or eat blockers and allow LBs to flow to the ball and stop the run, or just blow up run plays in the backfield themselves with their power and bull-rush abilities.

That's why I went DT. Dominant edge rushers are great, but normally a solid running game and running at them wears them down and takes them out of their game. Nobody in their right mind runs at Casey Hampton, Jammal Williams, Vince Wilfork, or Haloti Ngata.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

edge rusher, and the franchise tag numbers say that NFL GMs agree with me. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I said defensive tackle but I think really depends on what kind of scheme you run. In 4-3 defense an edge rusher is probably more important but in 3-4 it's nose tackle because in 3-4 defensive ends do not have dominate pass rushers and usually don't put up big sack totals because the rush is coming from the linebackers.

9. The Following 5 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    edge rusher, and the franchise tag numbers say that NFL GMs agree with me. . . .
    True, but I think guys like Haynesworth have broken the mold on what a great 3 technique DT is worth these days. How did Tennessee's DL do without him this year? On the contrary, how did guys like Andre Carter (who had a career year) and Brian Orakpo benefit in DC? Washington's defensive strength this year was their D-line. Haynesworth's individual numbers dropped, but the whole defense benefitted from him being there.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

i said DT for the same reasons as others. a good DT will make everyone's job easier. a DT also greatly impacts the running and passing games, moreso than an edger rusher. we all know how important stopping the run can be, so i went with DT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post

poll coming
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

DT makes everything easier.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

NT in a 3-4, Edge rusher in a 4-3.

18. The Following User High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

easy NT or a pair of DT's

those teams that have them unusually also have a good many sacks because everyone else is man on man for the most part and for the most part their run defenses are stouter.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I had to say DT for the simple fact that the best way to beat any passing game is pressure up the middle right into the face of the QB, giving him no place to step up. The best way to beat any running game is also pressure up the middle. Typically, dominant DTs, even if they don't get the sacks themselves, cause sacks by driving QBs out of the pocket and into their DEs. They also clean out O-linemen or eat blockers and allow LBs to flow to the ball and stop the run, or just blow up run plays in the backfield themselves with their power and bull-rush abilities.

That's why I went DT. Dominant edge rushers are great, but normally a solid running game and running at them wears them down and takes them out of their game. Nobody in their right mind runs at Casey Hampton, Jammal Williams, Vince Wilfork, or Haloti Ngata.

Finally we have common ground.

the DT or NT if they are great screws up every thing. like they ran over the middle of our loin last year leaving Orton no place to go. but wide to the DE's.

Without that pressure good QB's can step up and allow the OT's to force the DE to the outside and back.

Great DT and NT just make everyones job easier. we have really never had a true DT price you say he was a great DE that put some pressure up the middle, but remember folks he was originally a LB for much of his college career. Was drafted as a DE and moved to DT because we really did not have anyone else.

DT for 3-4

edge rusher for a 4-3

Arguably the best defenses in the NFL since 2000 have 2 things in common. Dominant DT's.

23. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Strong nose/d-tackle. But I think having both is what sends a lot of defenses into the 'elite' tier.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    DT for 3-4

edge rusher for a 4-3

Arguably the best defenses in the NFL since 2000 have 2 things in common. Dominant DT's.

dominant DL period but IMO it starts in the middle.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information