Thread: Broncos need to move Marshall, antics out of town

Default Broncos need to move Marshall, antics out of town

Woody's Mailbag: Broncos need to move Marshall, antics out of town
    Manuel from Colorado Springs asks Woody about Brandon Marshall
    By Woody Paige
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 02/18/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
    UPDATED: 02/18/2010 12:59:16 PM MST

Get wide receiver Brandon Marshall out of Denver. Wasn't he the guy who said he hated Denver after one of his many encounters with law enforcement? Nice touch now, saying he is "going with the flow," finally listening to some good advice and "has learned." Having been responsible for large groups of employees, I know that if you put the team second, regardless of performance, it derails the necessary order within that unit. Marshall walks and quacks like a lame duck. How could he think good performance supersedes everything else? Move him out.
    — Manuel Garcia, Colorado Springs

Manuel: Don't send in the clowns. Send away the clown. It's time. I'm tired of Marshall's act. The Broncos are tired of his act. Broncos fans are tired of his actions.

Marshall has calmed down his off-field actions with women, but not his off-field antics with the Broncos. I don't think there's any way Marshall and coach Josh McDaniels can go forward together.

You haven't heard Josh say he wants Brandon back. There's a reason.

I can pull out my old columns: "Time to trade Marshall," "Grow up, Brandon," "Brandon has matured," "Brandon shows immaturity," "Brandon promises no more mistakes," "Brandon makes more mistakes," "Brandon has great year," "Brandon doesn't want to play last game," "Brandon hates Denver," "Brandon loves Denver," "Brandon wants out," "Brandon wants to sit up straight."

If he were to come back next season, we'd be saying, "Oh, Brandon is having a great year." Then we'd be saying Brandon is causing trouble, has gotten into trouble, says his new contract isn't sufficient, doesn't like Denver. He's not worth the trouble or the money.

Woody, do you believe any NFL team will show interest in wide receiver Plaxico Burress? He said recently he will play in the NFL again. I believe he will, but he will have to show he deserves to play again. Some of the players have the attitude that playing in the NFL is a right, but actually it's a privilege.

— Damian W., La Crosse, Wis

Damian: Yes, I think Plaxico will get another chance. He will be edging up in years, and will be 34 by the time he's able to return. So somebody could get him cheap (no trade, no high number in salary) for a year or two.

I wasn't particularly impressed with his jail interview with Bill Cowher on CBS. He said all the right things about being sorry. What are you going to say in jail?

But he said he was working out two or three days a week, doing sit-ups and push-ups. Shouldn't he be working out five or seven days a week, doing all sorts of conditioning and weightlifting to prepare for his release? What else does he have to do? Play checkers?

We don't need another drama queen here, but I'm sure somebody like the Jets, or, lo and behold, the Raiders, will want him.

Woody, you gave your readers the job of mulling the Broncos' QB situation. I don't have to mull, I already know. Last year I said the Broncos should package some of the high draft picks they got for squandering Jay Cutler's talent and take Mark Sanchez. Trade one Pro Bowl talent for another. That did not happen. I like Tom Brandstater. Why not give him a chance? I don't believe in wasting picks (like Josh McDaniels did with cornerback Alphonso Smith). If you draft a QB, play him. If he can't play, package something else this year and get a real QB of the future. Kyle Orton isn't it. He has that Jake Plummer knack for boneheaded plays.
    — Dam Nace, St. Louis

Dam: Dam straight. Let's try this again: Orton is an average quarterback. Average quarterbacks rarely, almost never, get to the Super Bowl.

Check out the final four in the playoffs this year. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre took snaps for three of the four teams. All are potential Hall of Famers.

Sure, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, but he didn't even stick with the Ravens the next year. Brad Johnson also won a ring, with Tampa Bay. But those teams relied on great defenses.

So the Broncos will have to replace Orton in a couple of years. We know it ain't Chris Simms. We actually know it's not Brandstater. Unfortunately, he didn't impress the coaching staff while running the scout team's offense last year. I think the kid's got a chance, but not here. He probably will stick as a third QB again next season.

Team owner Pat Bowlen told The Post's Mike Klis that the Broncos will draft a quarterback in April. But, again, Josh isn't talking.

I suspect the Broncos will trade their first pick or use it on wide receiver Dez Bryant or a defensive lineman and then try, if they can, to get a QB in the second round from the crowd left.

I've discussed those possibilities in recent mailbags. The Broncos may have a chance at Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, because a lot of teams think he's a risky pick.

Colt McCoy has started working out again. Sam Bradford, I think, will go early.

It has to be a quarterback who will fit in Josh's system, although the only system I've figured out is throw short and hope the receiver can break away. If I hear "bubble screen" one more time, I'm going to bubble scream.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0fvyVAFSY
    Last edited by Lonestar; 02-18-2010 at 06:47 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    If I hear "bubble screen" one more time, I'm going to bubble scream.
    No kidding...

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

BUBBLE SCREEN.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

6. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    No kidding...

That was woody talking not me. personally i think 90% of what he writes is bovine excretement. I only cut and pasted the entire article and left a link for those that wish to check it out for themselves.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

woody is such a horrible reporter now, has he always been this bad?

yes we did run too many screens early on, but not near as many as people think, i think people let the preseason screen fest carry over to their opinions of the season.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived tsiguy96 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
    woody is such a horrible reporter now, has he always been this bad?

yes we did run too many screens early on, but not near as many as people think, i think people let the preseason screen fest carry over to their opinions of the season.
    It's what you do when your Oline is porous and you have no running game.

check

and

check

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    It's what you do when your Oline is porous and you have no running game.

check

and

check
    Bingo. I wish more folks around here had the sense to realize that a lot of the play calling was out of necessity.

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Robert Ayers

You haven't heard Josh say he wants Brandon back. There's a reason.
    I think this is the nugget we can pull out of this article. Mcdaniels has been pretty straight forward and specific with what he wants to do with the team. So, assuming hes not just straight up lying to us, we know that Denver will look to fill holes on the Oline and Dline early on and look for a QB to replace Sims at #2. Orton is a RFA and Mcdaniels is speaking like he is not, talking about how good he is going to be next year. Everybody knows Orton is coming back. Marshall on the other hand, is hands down the best player on our offense and Mcdaniels has not even said anything besides "we'll see." This doesnt mean he hasnt decided yet. THe guy has answered every question straight forward and i refuse to believe that he is truly on the fence, not leaning in any direction. Silence is good business and thats the real reason hes not talking. He doesnt want to lower Marshalls trade value. Im not saying that this is a good thing or that I hate it. These just seem to be how the situation is progressing so far and its gonna take more than a "everythings all better" to convince me.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Carl For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    I think this is the nugget we can pull out of this article. Mcdaniels has been pretty straight forward and specific with what he wants to do with the team. So, assuming hes not just straight up lying to us, we know that Denver will look to fill holes on the Oline and Dline early on and look for a QB to replace Sims at #2. Orton is a RFA and Mcdaniels is speaking like he is not, talking about how good he is going to be next year. Everybody knows Orton is coming back. Marshall on the other hand, is hands down the best player on our offense and Mcdaniels has not even said anything besides "we'll see." This doesnt mean he hasnt decided yet. THe guy has answered every question straight forward and i refuse to believe that he is truly on the fence, not leaning in any direction. Silence is good business and thats the real reason hes not talking. He doesnt want to lower Marshalls trade value. Im not saying that this is a good thing or that I hate it. These just seem to be how the situation is progressing so far and its gonna take more than a "everythings all better" to convince me.

This bears repeating.. I think for the most part you are spot on.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

That was woody talking not me. personally i think 90% of what he writes is bovine excretement. I only cut and pasted the entire article and left a link for those that wish to check it out for themselves.
    Most of this article is what you said, anyway . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

19. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Default and then there was this......

He said in order for the Broncos to get where they want to be, he needs both great players and a great system.

"That's what this offseason and every offseason will be about."

Miller asked McDaniels if wide receiver Brandon Marshall fits into his system.

"Certainly. I mean he had a great year, a Pro Bowl year. Brandon and I got along fine and I know we've had some differences of opinion and some other things that have happened, but he's a very good player, obviously, one of the elite receivers in this league," he said. "Our goal is to try to keep all of our good players and he's certainly one of them."

With the collective bargaining agreement aside, McDaniels said he wants Marshall back.

"We're looking to assemble the best team we can with the best talent and the best players and he's certainly proved this year that he's one of those guys in this league that's going to continue to be productive at that level every season."

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    He said in order for the Broncos to get where they want to be, he needs both great players and a great system.

"That's what this offseason and every offseason will be about."

Miller asked McDaniels if wide receiver Brandon Marshall fits into his system.

"Certainly. I mean he had a great year, a Pro Bowl year. Brandon and I got along fine and I know we've had some differences of opinion and some other things that have happened, but he's a very good player, obviously, one of the elite receivers in this league," he said. "Our goal is to try to keep all of our good players and he's certainly one of them."

With the collective bargaining agreement aside, McDaniels said he wants Marshall back.

"We're looking to assemble the best team we can with the best talent and the best players and he's certainly proved this year that he's one of those guys in this league that's going to continue to be productive at that level every season."
    reading between the line. I'd like BM back but there will be simulations in his contract and he has to give us a home town discount if he signs ..

IF not I'm playing nice nice to get the best draft choices I can, for his immature ass.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

How old were Manning, Brees and Favre when they played in their first Super Bowl?

How old is Orton?

Adopted Bronco:
    Robert Ayers

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    How old were Manning, Brees and Favre when they played in their first Super Bowl?

How old is Orton?
    Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question?
    Kind of. Obviously, I'm not going to compare Orton to the other guys as far as overall skills go, but I think it is often forgotten that Orton is only 27 years old and hasnt really had too much of an opportunity to play his best football yet.

27. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information