Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traded my 93 Mustang for an 03 Cobra

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Default Traded my 93 Mustang for an 03 Cobra

I traded my 93 Mustang GT, all my parts I had, my 408 shortblock, and cash for a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra Mustang.

My friend Tommy drove up from Knoxville Friday night with his F-150, my roommate loaned me his Axiom to go pickup the trailer, and Rodney (WhippleCobra) came over and helped load the shortblock and parts, and I put the car on the trailer, and we got the trailer hooked up to the truck. We left about 3:30 (Central Time) this morning, and made it to Roanoke, Virginia about 11:45 AM Eastern Time to do the swap for the Cobra. The guy who owned the cobra came from New Jersey.

Weather held out just long enough to get this deal done and the roads were great.

Tommy and Rodney switched off driving, and if not for the both of them this would not have been possible. I paid for all the drinks, snacks, and food (Rodney wouldn't let me pay for his), and I paid for all the gas and renting the U-haul car trailer. Tommy's truck is a beast and that 5.4 pulled awesome the whole way there and back.

We drove back to Knoxville, unloaded the car at the U-haul place, and dropped the trailer off there, and Rodney and I drove the Cobra back to Nashville, and OMG....500 HP is totally awesome!!!!

She's getting 4 brand new tires on monday, because these bad boys are bald!!! Glad it wasn't raining because things could have gotten ugly.

Specs on the cobra
    52,000 on body/10,000 on new motor
    MMR 900 shortblock with all options except aluminum block
    New top end of motor (heads, cams, gaskets, etc)
    Steigemeir Stage IV ported and rebuilt eaton
    blower and valve covers custom painted black
    60lb injectors (not installed)
    Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump (not installed)
    Reichard Racing 2.75" pulley
    Billetflow idlers and aux idler
    Morpheus CAI (similar to JLT, just jet hot coated aluminum)
    Diablo MAFIA
    Denso IT22 Spark plugs
    RWTD SCT X2 tuner
    JDM/Kooks long tubes, off road Hpipe, MAC 2.5" catback
    Pro 5.0 shifter w/MGW adjustable handle
    Liberty 26 spline input shaft for T56 transmission
    SPEC Stage 3+ clutch kit
    Fidanza Aluminum flywheel
    Moroso battery trunk mount kit
    SLP line lock w/convertible top switch as control
    Autometer Water Temp, Oil Pressure gauges on autometer gauge bezel
    Dynojet Wideband and Autometer boost gauges on A pillar
    Oil Cooler (Not sure of model, will get that and update thread when im home from work)

'02 GT solid rear w/28 spline superior axles
    rebuilt stock diff and Redline Gear Oil
    4.10 Richmond Gears
    Pro 3i weight jacker Lower control arms w/spherical and 3 piece poly bushings
    Steeda hardcore double adjustable uppers w/poly bushings
    Ford Motorsport B springs in rear (have the front B springs also)
    Eibach Pro Kit springs in front
    QA1 12 way adjustable struts front
    KYB 8 way adjustable shocks rear

Brembo Slotted Front Rotors / Hawk Pads
    Slotted Rear Rotors / Stock Pads

Corbeau CR1 Microsuedes in black/light grey
    custom rear seat delete w/sonic blue cobra emblem stitched
    Sony 3ways in the doors, rest are stock

here's the pics

Future Mods will be

* Bullitt Sidescoops
    * Chrome FR500's staggered and some new tires
    * Window Tint @ 5%
    * AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player w/ dashkit and radio wiring harness
    * black billet stubby antenna
    * mgw short throw shifter
    * going to get a stock air intake back on it and get rid of that piece of junk morpheus intake that's on there.
    * I'm going to get rid of that stupid trunk battery kit, and put the **** battery back where it belongs.
    * maximum motorsports 4 way adjustable caster camber plates
    * H&R Super Sports Springs
    * 31 spline Cobra LSD Carrier
    * 31 spline moser axles w/ hardened 3" wheel studs.
    * Moser 3.73 gears
    * Timken Bearing Kit
    * Ford Racing Diff Girdle
    * Rear Diff Braces
    * New Axle Bearings and Seals
    * Solid Crush Sleeve
    * 4" wide stainless steel exhaust tips
    * smoked headlights w/ clearcorners
    * new foglights
    * 4" stainless exhaust tips

it comes with a set of 60# injectors that are not installed and kenne bell boost-a-pump that isn't installed either. so in August, I'll take it down to Dynospeed and have Joe install the injectors and boost-a-pump, and re-tune it and dyno it and maybe get a new pulley to add some more boost to it.

I'll probably buy a new set of stock valve covers because the ones that are on there now are painted black and are just plain ugly. Not sure what he was thinking when he did that, and painted the SC black, but it looks like ass, but I can deal with it for now.

That'll be all that I do to it until I get done with school as far as performance mods go.

After school and I get a job, I will be upgrading the fuel system, and sticking a whipple 2.2 on it and aiming for the 700hp range. that should be enough to keep me happy for years to come.

No more Mustang ADD after this. I'm keeping this car as long as possible. Not selling it, not trading it. If the engine ever goes, I'll just buy another shortblock from MMR, and pay someone to put the new shortblock in and swap everything over and keep driving it.

there's a few imperfections with the car, but I can live with 'em until I get 'em fixed.
    Last edited by Overtime; 03-11-2010 at 12:43 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users High Fived Overtime For This Post:

Nice!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Nice.

Word of advice. Don't install the Boost-a-pump. Just install the 60s and get dual Walbro 255s. That's what I did with my car. I bought the FORE billet CNC machined fuel tank hat and dual Walbro 255s and sold the BAP on Ebay. Since your tank already holds two pumps, you could just spend $180 bucks and get the 255 Walbros and be done. And if you do decide to run the BAP, make sure it's the 40 amp. The 20 amp won't work with dual pumps.

The Fox was a bit too much for ya huh? lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Nice.

Word of advice. Don't install the Boost-a-pump. Just install the 60s and get dual Walbro 255s. That's what I did with my car. I bought the FORE billet CNC machined fuel tank hat and dual Walbro 255s and sold the BAP on Ebay. Since your tank already holds two pumps, you could just spend $180 bucks and get the 255 Walbros and be done. And if you do decide to run the BAP, make sure it's the 40 amp. The 20 amp won't work with dual pumps.

The Fox was a bit too much for ya huh? lol
    yes and no on the fox being too much. I really didn't have time for a project, and the other fact is I never really got over losing my 02 sonic blue gt. I haven't been the same since I sold that car, and kicked myself in the ass every day for doing so. I used to love foxes, but dreams change, and I realized about a month ago I had moved on from foxes, so I started looking for a cobra, and found a guy willing to take my car, engine, parts, and cash for his 03 cobra. worked out perfectly.

I had originally sold my blue 02 gt to get a cobra. Found a cobra for $16,500 w/ 72K on it in Savannah, Georgia. Went to the bank applied for a loan, they said I was approved, and that I needed to sell my car and bring in the money for a down payment, so I said no problem. Sold my blue gt for $9500, and took the money in only to find out that my loan was denied.... I didnt want another 99-04 gt, so I figured I'd build my dream fox. Bought a fox, started modding it, but just never really got attached to it, so I traded it, engine, parts, and cash for the cobra, and I couldn't be happier now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Awesome

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Great looking car OT - however, you left something off of the future mods - well, maybe it should be ASAP mods - any blue car needs some orange on it somewhere

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

8. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Orange would look AWFUL anywhere on that car!

Enjoy it, bud...

11. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Just needs the dual racing stripes down the middle to really make it look like a cobra. They just don't look real without them
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Paid the sales tax today, got 4 new Nitto NT555 275-40-17's on her. Ran her through the car wash to knock the snow and mud and salt off.

I took the retarded rear seat delete kit out of the rear, and installed the 03/04 cobra seats that I had purchased for my 93. stuck the black billet stubby radio antenna that I kept my from 93 on in place of the stock antenna.

Just ordered a stock 07-09 Shelby GT500 6 speed shifter knob to replace my stock shifter knob which is badly stripped out.

End of the month she's going to get new window tint 5% sides, rear 1/4 glasses, and the rear window, with a black piece of vinyl at the top of the back window to cover up those stupid dots, so I don't ghost effect in my tint.

March 6th, I'm going to Memphis to Dynospeed Racing to put her on the dyno and get 3 pulls for $50 to find out what A/F Ratio she's pulling, and what the official rear wheel horsepower and rear wheel torque numbers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Just needs the dual racing stripes down the middle to really make it look like a cobra. They just don't look real without them
    if there was a de-salute you would be getting it Ravage. stripes look good on the 67-68 shelby gt500's, and the 07+ Shelby GT500's, but they do not look good, nor do they belong on 99-04 mustangs (let alone 03/04 cobras).

Adopted Bronco:
    Dennis Smith #49

I would have held out for a 1st and 3rd round pick in this years draft.
    A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.
    Oliver Herford

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived D1g1tal j1m For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

rearend went out in the car on Tuesday on the way to school, so I've ordered

31 spline Cobra Limited Slip Diff
    31 spline forged moser axles
    Precision Gear 3.73 gears
    Timken bearing kit
    solid crush sleeve
    new axle bearings
    new axle seals
    Rear diff main studs
    friction modifier
    moser 3" press in style wheel studs
    new lug nuts w/ locking lugs
    Powdercoat the rear diff and weld axle tubes to the diff housing.

mgw short throw shifter arrived yesterday, and my new gt500 shift knob arrived today. So I spent today working on the cobra. installed the new shifter, and the shifter knob, then I removed all the old window tint, and I was lucky because it came off pretty easy.

pulled the corbeau seats and the stock rear cobra seats out and cleaned them up real good, getting ready to go to Kingsport tomorrow to swap with a guy for some 03/04 cobra front and rear seats w/ dark grey inserts.
    Last edited by Overtime; 03-11-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

You got pwned by photobucket.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

I hate you. That is all.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    You got pwned by photobucket.
    photobucket failz. we dont even go through 1 gb of bandwidth on our mustang club here in tennessee, i fail to see how my photobucket account has pulled 10 gb in less than a month. such a crock.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information