Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Olympics

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Vancouver Olympics

This definitely is not a good way for things to begin. Thoughs and prayers for his family and teammates.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14390486

Georgian luger dies in crash during training run

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA — A men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a crash during training, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation said. The death cast a shocking pall over the Vancouver Olympics hours before the opening ceremony.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

There was no immediate comment from Vancouver organizers, international luge officials or the International Olympic Committee. At the Whistler track, officials said the IOC and VANOC were preparing a joint statement to be released Friday afternoon.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Rescue workers were at his side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

"It's a very rare situation," three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before news of Kumaritashvili's death broke, clearly shaken moments after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical officials.

Olympic competition in men's luge is scheduled to begin Saturday. It's unclear if that schedule would be affected.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. The track is considered the world's fastest and several Olympians recently questioned its safety. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations — like Georgia — had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

"I've never seen anything like that," said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

The remainder of men's training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying in a release that an investigation was taking place to "ensure a safe field of play." Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans — Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked — have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much," Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Peter Forsberg to carry Sweden's flag

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14390452

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA — Peter Forsberg says he will carry Sweden's flag at the opening ceremony.

Forsberg's participation in these Games — his fourth — was in doubt until last week after he injured a hand in a Swedish Elite League game.

But the two-time Olympic gold medalist says he's feeling fine after arriving in Vancouver.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I finally got to see video of the crash. It was odd as the luger essentially jumped off his board and the momentum took him right into the unpadded support standard. He hit the standard with the top of his helmet and he lay motionless after the collision. The sliders essentially fly through the turns at 90 mph with only the helmet for protection. Everything else is built to be lightweight.

The Olympic folks are saying it was "pilot error" and that the luger was up too high on the curve. Personally, I think whoever built the course is at fault for having those standards there with no padding. They should have either been further back from the track or covered with some sort of protective padding to cushion the blow. If this were a legal liability issue, I'd say the Canadians were liable for the man's death.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

KCL

or it was just an accident.
    He appeared, to me, to have hit one of the walls, which would have knocked unconscious, or at least dazed him, and then the momentum of the luge, the bouncing, and the speed threw him off the track.
    Some say the track is too fast, others think it is great. This track has been used regularly for a couple of years now with no other fatalities.
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

i loved the opening ceremony.
    The designer wanted less flash, more emotion, and I think he achieved it beautifully!
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

7. The Following User High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

I just heard that they will reopen the run today or tomorrow with a higher wall in that turn and now will start from the Women's starting point on the track so they speed s will be a lot less.

Hopefully the morons will put some padding on those supports also. I could not believe they were just I beams.

That is a lawsuit just asking to happen. Not that hitting a padded I beam at 90 would not have killed him but maybe he could have survived although a cripple.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

A fence is what is needed so a body can not fly off the track. At those speeds I wonder if padding would of saved his life, it would of at least gave him a chance.

Its one of those videos and stories that just sticks with you.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I know with the accident it was a horrible way to start. That being said as a Canadian and a member of the Canadian Military I had a huge sense of pride watching the opening of the games last night.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    I know with the accident it was a horrible way to start. That being said as a Canadian and a member of the Canadian Military I had a huge sense of pride watching the opening of the games last night.
    Thanks to you for your service to your country.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Mario Fuchs in the snowboarding
    LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

Great final then in the snowboarding.
    LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

USA Men's hockey team beats Switzerland 3-1 in prelims...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...cap?gameId=838

I'd really like to see them medal in this year's games...

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Curling is my favorite sport!

Stupid USA women had a 4-1 lead after 5 frames and ended up losing 9-8 against Japan

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Curling is my favorite sport!

Stupid USA women had a 4-1 lead after 5 frames and ended up losing 9-8 against Japan
    I've enjoyed Curling ever since the GB Women led by Rhona Martin won gold at the Olympics in 2002.

GB men got off to a poor start losing 6-4 to Sweden.
    Last edited by Jaws; 02-17-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Curling is interesting. And the US women's team is hot.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information