Page 389 of 575 FirstFirst ... 289 339 379 387 388 389 390 391 399 439 489 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,835 of 8615

Thread: The Official Colorado Rockies thread--Now with extra awesome!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Rosenthal's speculation...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...senthal-110713

But let's start with Tulo, who along with teammate Carlos Gonzalez is quite unavailable, according to Rockies owner Dick Monfort.

“The plan is to keep them. Next year, yes. And my plan is to always keep them,” Monfort told the Denver Post. “Is that the smartest thing in the world to do? I don’t know. But for our fans, I think it’s the best thing to do.”

Actually, the idea of keeping Tulowitzki and Gonzalez together is not at all dumb, no matter how much Cardinals fans drool over Tulo and Mets fans slobber over CarGo.

Tulowitzki is 29, Gonzalez 28. Third baseman Nolan Arenado is 24, as is catcher Wilin Rosario, who could move to the outfield if the Rockies sign free agent Carlos Ruiz. Those are four stars or future stars in their prime or pre-prime. Outfielder Corey Dickson, 24, could become a fifth. And first baseman Michael Cuddyer, 34, just won the National League batting title.

The Rockies can afford both Tulo and CarGo; if anything, their contracts grow more reasonable by the day. Tulo will average $18.6 million over the next seven years, CarGo $15.9 million over the next four. Keep 'em healthy, surround 'em with better pitching and who knows? The team might actually contend.

OK, but there is another side. An appealing other side. A side that would enable the Rockies to turn one player into four or five, add additional talent with their savings and build a better, more complete team.

Here is my suggestion: Tulo to the Cardinals.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

If Red Sox can't keep Steven Drew they can offer more for Tulo than Cards.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

On one hand, one of the very few things this franchise deserves credit for is locking up Tulo and Cargo for the long haul. On the other hand, if keeping those guys means that we will never assemble a competitive pitching corps, then whats the point?

4. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Carlos Ruiz offered two-year deal with option by Rockies, but competition exists

The Cardinals would have to give the Rockies a reason to trade all-star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. He fits their needs, but the Rockies aren’t pursuing a deal. They are only willing to take the call, and any traction will depend on the Cardinals’ willingness to include elite young pitchers like Michael Wacha, Trevor Rosenthal and Carlos Martinez (perhaps two of them) as the center of any deal that would also have to involve a position player.

Talking to multiple people with direct knowledge of the Rockies’ thinking late Monday night, nothing has changed. They will listen because they would be remiss if they didn’t. There’s been no traction at this point. The Cardinals have other options, linked to free agent Stephen Drew, and, in trades rumors, to Cleveland’s Asdrubal Cabrera, Baltimore’s J.J. Hardy and the Rangers’ Elvis Andrus and Jurickson Profar.

For now, the Cardinals landing Tulo exists as a longshot.
    rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/...eats-up/15938/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

On one hand, one of the very few things this franchise deserves credit for is locking up Tulo and Cargo for the long haul. On the other hand, if keeping those guys means that we will never assemble a competitive pitching corps, then whats the point?
    Plus the FO would **** up the trade anyway.

:ubaldo:
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Plus the FO would **** up the trade anyway.

:ubaldo:
    Yeah - that was a complete disaster and there is absolutely no reason to believe that our front office could effectively identify solid pitching prospects.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

So who is excited about our newest 40+ year old free agent acquisition?!?!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    If Red Sox can't keep Steven Drew they can offer more for Tulo than Cards.
    No one is loaded with top young pitching like STL is. I would have to assume that the Rox would want ML ready pitching and so I'd give them the edge in that deal. Matt Adams is under control for awhile and can replace Helton at first and the Cards have entertained other trades involving Shelby Miller. Put those two in a deall with 2 more mid-level prospects and the Rox would be fools turn it down. Get out from the remaining 7 years of the Tulo contract...add cheap, controllable players with ML success. Where do I sign up? I think STL is a much better trade partner than Boston is considering the needs involved.

But...it wouldnt really shock me to see Boston add another 19 mil a year to their payroll

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default LaTroy Hawkins agrees to one-year deal with Rockies to serve as closer

Looking to shore up their beleaguered bullpen, the Rockies are bringing back right-handed reliever LaTroy Hawkins. He will be given the opportunity to be the club's closer.

Major-league sources confirmed Monday night that Hawkins has signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract to pitch for the Rockies in 2014. The contract includes a buyout of $250,000 on a club option for 2015.

The deal is pending Hawkins' passing a physical that has been scheduled for Thursday.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...s-serve-closer

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Why is Rex Brothers not named closer already? Hawkins over Brothers?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Hawkins needs to survive spring training. Competition is always a good thing, especially with a young BP arm like Rex.

That being said, I haven't been paying attention to whats going on. Been focused on work.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

14. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Brothers was pretty good when he was in the closer role, wasn't he? Why pay a guy to replace him?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I'm just preparing for another offseason of watching every significant free agent sign with other teams while the Rockies do things on the cheap. The next phase comes in a couple of months when ownership tries to explain how they've put the pieces in place for a championship run. The final phase comes when they battle the Padres for last place again and ownership promises that next year will be different.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

18. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I'm just preparing for another offseason of watching every significant free agent sign with other teams while the Rockies do things on the cheap. The next phase comes in a couple of months when ownership tries to explain how they've put the pieces in place for a championship run. The final phase comes when they battle the Padres for last place again and ownership promises that next year will be different.
    I wouldnt count on that. The Padres have a really good farm system right now. If a few of those guys make the ML roster and succeed, the Padres could be in pretty good shape this year. The Rox have a few solid players they are developing as well...but I think they are all still another year or two away. That's why I think making a deal with STL for Tulo would be a good idea. It's not like Troy is going to play much more than 100 games anyway...and you get to add some young talent. Trvor Story could be ready to make the move to the bigs and that would give the Rox a nice left side of the infield. Then imagine a rotation in 2 years with a guy like Miller added to Gray and Butler. Good things are in store for the Rox if they play it smart. Getting out from Tulo's contract would be a smart move

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Brothers was pretty good when he was in the closer role, wasn't he? Why pay a guy to replace him?
    They still want Brothers to be the closer - but they had to tell Hawkins that they'd give him first crack at the role to make our offer more appealing. I expect Brothers to be closing by year-end assuming he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I wouldnt count on that. The Padres have a really good farm system right now. If a few of those guys make the ML roster and succeed, the Padres could be in pretty good shape this year. The Rox have a few solid players they are developing as well...but I think they are all still another year or two away. That's why I think making a deal with STL for Tulo would be a good idea. It's not like Troy is going to play much more than 100 games anyway...and you get to add some young talent. Trvor Story could be ready to make the move to the bigs and that would give the Rox a nice left side of the infield. Then imagine a rotation in 2 years with a guy like Miller added to Gray and Butler. Good things are in store for the Rox if they play it smart. Getting out from Tulo's contract would be a smart move
    I don't think the Padres are ready to take the next step just yet. I also think Tulo to the Cards is a media-fabricated fantasy. We prefer the status quo and 40+ year old pitchers in the twilight of their careers. No sense in building a contender when you fill the stadium with a perennial loser.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information