Page 422 of 575 FirstFirst ... 322 372 412 420 421 422 423 424 432 472 522 ... LastLast
Results 6,316 to 6,330 of 8615

Thread: The Official Colorado Rockies thread--Now with extra awesome!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

You know who else knew the organization inside and out? Dan O'Dowd.

I wish they'd quit selling us on that point. I want someone who hasn't the slightest idea about this dumpster fire of an organization because they've been succeeding elsewhere.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Bridich replaces O'Dowd as Rockies GM

from article:

The list of GMs is short in the 22-season history of the Rockies. Bob Gebhard held the job from the franchise's formative years through the 1999 season, when O'Dowd was hired.

Bridich, 37, is being promoted from senior director of player development, a title he has held since September 2011. He joined the Rockies in 2004 as manager of Minor League operations, and in 2006 became senior director of baseball operations -- a job that entailed contract issues, player transactions, payroll management, financial and statistical analysis and rules administration. During that period, Bridich was also instrumental in the team's strategy in arbitration cases.

Before joining the Rockies, Bridich worked in the Commissioner's Office from 2001-04 in the department of Minor League contracts and transactions.
    full article - http://m.rockies.mlb.com/news/articl...-as-rockies-gm

I am willing to see what Bridich can do. O'Down was hired off the street in 1999 as GM. At that time, he had no knowledge of the Rockies, and we know how that worked out.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Ownership fails the Rockies again. Don't get your hopes too high, Carol.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.....

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    One step forward, two steps back. Why do you promote someone from within a failing organization? This is the guys who oversaw a farm team that couldn't develop a single pitcher? Happy O'Dowd and Geivett are out, but wouldn't be surprised if it's more of the same under the new guy.
    Nothing changes until the ownership changes.

Sad but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:

from another article:

The official spoke to USA TODAY Sports only on the condition of anonymity because an official announcement isn't scheduled until Wednesday afternoon. O'Dowd and assistant Bill Geivett officially resigned, and were not fired, according to Fox Sports, which first reported the transactions.
    full article - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...kies/16907435/

According to this, neither O'Dowd or Geivett were fired, but resigned. If that is true, let my imagination run wild. Did they have a sit down with Monfort, and they both stated how they felt the Rockies should be handled going forward, as what has happened in the past did not work, and Monfort did not agree to that????????? I may be wrong, but my gut feeling is that all decisions were made by Monfort ONLY It is hard to think they both just resigned for no reason at all.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I imagine they all went to dinner last night and Monfort told them to resign by morning or be fired.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I imagine they all went to dinner last night and Monfort told them to resign by morning or be fired.
    That's a possibility also. Unless one of them talks, guess we will never know.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:

from another article:

The highlight of O'Dowd's tenure came in 2007, when the Rockies rode the wave of winning 21 of 22 games all the way to the World Series, where they were swept by the Boston Red Sox.

But O'Dowd's power began to dwindle in recent years with the rise of Geivett, who was promoted to senior vice president of baseball operations in August 2012.

Geivett was given an office in the clubhouse, which at times made things a little uncomfortable for players and coaches. Geivett began focusing on roster management, particularly as it related to the pitchers, and evaluating the coaching staff and the rest of the players.
    full article - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ger-15-seasons

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Oh please. That would imply Monfort has a backbone. He probably gave them nice golden parachutes and offered them jobs elsewhere within the organization.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

At the end of the day, they need someone that completely understands that there are certain advantages to playing in Denver that can become disadvantages while on the road. The team needs to be constructed of versatile players that aren't affected by power outages and players that are resilient and can fight through an injury or two. As far as pitching goes...they need guys that can be reliable to give a quality start more often than not. Sounds obvious, but I don't think it is to the organization and most of the fan base. People have become enamored by the Tulo's, CarGo's, Bichette's, Castilla's, Walker's and Galarraga's. What has that ever got this team? If they want a pure power guy, it should be someone like an Adam Dunn type. Yeah, he'll strike out a ton, but when the power disappears, at least he can still get on base.

First thing I would do is find buyers for Tulo and CarGo. Get back a return of young players and pitchers that can be groomed to win games without relying on the home run. Almost need to take the moneyball approach.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    At the end of the day, they need someone that completely understands that there are certain advantages to playing in Denver that can become disadvantages while on the road. The team needs to be constructed of versatile players that aren't affected by power outages and players that are resilient and can fight through an injury or two. As far as pitching goes...they need guys that can be reliable to give a quality start more often than not. Sounds obvious, but I don't think it is to the organization and most of the fan base. People have become enamored by the Tulo's, CarGo's, Bichette's, Castilla's, Walker's and Galarraga's. What has that ever got this team? If they want a pure power guy, it should be someone like an Adam Dunn type. Yeah, he'll strike out a ton, but when the power disappears, at least he can still get on base.

First thing I would do is find buyers for Tulo and CarGo. Get back a return of young players and pitchers that can be groomed to win games without relying on the home run. Almost need to take the moneyball approach.
    Yeah, arguably they constructed the roster with the exact wrong approach. They tried to build a team that would thrive at Coors Field, and what they really got is a team that's completely incapable of winning on the road.

I would argue, however, that the owner is more enamored by star hitters than the fans are. Most people have been advocating for better pitching for years now. If we could trade Tulo and Cargo for legit starting pitching tomorrow, I'd be on board in a heartbeat.

14. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Pitching, pitching and pitching.

Then get some more pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

16. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Yes...pitching is a need. But it will have to be developed. You aren't going to get too many prime FA's to commit to playing there. What they need is a few more Johnathan Gray types. Physical strikeout/groundball pitchers that can fight through the tough games and give them innings.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Yes...pitching is a need. But it will have to be developed. You aren't going to get too many prime FA's to commit to playing there. What they need is a few more Johnathan Gray types. Physical strikeout/groundball pitchers that can fight through the tough games and give them innings.
    Which is why I hate this GM hire - we've been completely unable to develop any pitching whatsoever... So they promote the guy who has been in charge of it.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information