Page 277 of 575 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 275 276 277 278 279 287 327 377 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 8615

Thread: The Official Colorado Rockies thread--Now with extra awesome!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Two things from today's game.

Has a team ever scored five runs, all on solo home runs and those five hits be their only five hits?

Has any pitcher given up only five hits, all solo home runs in one game?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Colorado Rockies' early season coming apart at the seams

CINCINNATI — After their first win in a week, music replaced sighs as the Rockies' clubhouse soundtrack Wednesday. There was some Justin Bieber, a little Chris Brown. Players smiled, if not exhaled. It was a brief diversion from the cold reality. The uncomfortable truth is that the Rockies aren't very good and haven't been for a long time. They entered the weekend with just 89 wins since the 2011 season began, seventh-worst in baseball, an indictment of missed draft picks, injuries and underachievers.

The Rockies unraveled this month, winning just four of their first 20 games, a result largely of decisions made over the winter. When general manager Dan O'Dowd and owner Dick Monfort decided during the offseason to go with an unproven rotation, they knew the staff would be a work in progress. They just didn't know it would implode.

The pitching staff's 5.70 staff ERA in May is the worst in baseball, as is the starters' 6.11 ERA.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...apart-at-seams

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

This is the quote from the same article that raised my eyebrows,

"It's hard when you are out there standing around forever," said outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, a former Gold Glover who has struggled in the field. "It seems like since opening day we score a lot of runs on a lot of nights, and the other team comes right back with runs. Especially early in the game. When we get a lead and the pitcher doesn't blow it, it's totally different. You play better baseball overall."
    Read more: Colorado Rockies' early season coming apart at the seams - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...#ixzz1w7Ew9Mwi
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

It's not exactly throwing the pitching staff under the bus, but it's pretty close to it. It's also deserved, BUT the offense hasn't been anything to write home about either, Carlos.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:

From article:

"It's hard when you are out there standing around forever," said outfielder Carlos Gonzalez,

I wonder if he was referring to the same thing, which the Rockies' announcers stated earlier in the week, which I posted:

"On Tuesday, Drew Goodman was talking on the fan, and he said that him and Jeff Husted figured up in the game the day before that between the 2nd and 3rd innings, the Rockies were on defense for 52 minutes, which is not good, as being out in the field that long messes them up when they come to the plate. Interesting thought."

Also, being in the field for that long, they may lose their concentration on defense - both Cargo and Tulo have had errors, which is unlike both of them.
    Last edited by Denver Native (Carol); 05-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

David Ortiz called a team meeting and reportedly threw the pitching staff under the bus and reamed them a new one.

Tulo, CarGo...yes it's time.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Crazy game, but Rockies win! THAAAAAAAA Rockies win!

Starting pitching is still just atrocious. Nicasio was so erratic. He struck out the side in, I think, the second, and was all over the place other than that. Wandy Rodriguez was bad too, thankfully. Betancourt with a great 9th.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Astros gave the Rockies a bunch of extra outs. You hate to do that to a pitcher at Coors where outs are so precious. Fielding miscues were the difference in the first game. The DH continues in a couple of hours.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Every team should schedule a Memorial Day doubleheader. This is too cool. How better to honor our country than with a couple of baseball games?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default Jamie Moyer designated for assignment by Rockies; likely done with Colorado

The Rockies' feel-good story ended prematurely as they designated left-handed pitcher Jamie Moyer for assignment on Wednesday.

The 49-year-old made history on April 17 vs. the Padres, becoming the oldest major-league pitcher to win a game.

But he was hit hard in his part two starts, leaving the club to go in a different direction.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...es-likely-done

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

That's a shame, but it was probably inevitable. He has nothing to be ashamed of. Great career Jamie!
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

12. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Was just listening to sports on local Fox, and Ron Zappolo just said - Moyer was not the problem - there should have been others fired before Moyer.

I totally agree with what Zappolo said.

Tracy Ringolsby was just talking about it, and said that the rest of the starters were the problem - if they had kept up what they needed to do, and not put such pressure on the bullpen, Moyer pitching every 5th day would not have made a difference.
    Last edited by Denver Native (Carol); 05-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Moyer was not the problem but part of it. Even as a 5th starter he had nothing left, over the last month his ERA was 8.64.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Was just listening to sports on local Fox, and Ron Zappolo just said - Moyer was not the problem - there should have been others fired before Moyer.

I totally agree with what Zappolo said.

Tracy Ringolsby was just talking about it, and said that the rest of the starters were the problem - if they had kept up what they needed to do, and not put such pressure on the bullpen, Moyer pitching every 5th day would not have made a difference.
    I would have liked to see Moyer moved to the bullpen as a long reliever. He is good the first time through a rotation.

16. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

So I present Dan O'Dowd Unplugged.

http://www.850koa.com/pages/krieger....ticle=10163155

Best quote of the article:

“I know it looks like crap. I just think we’re positioned really well. I think the Pomeranzes and the Whites and the Friedrichs and the Nicasios, I think a year from now we could have one of the best starting rotations in our division and it could last for a long time. If I don’t survive, then whoever’s going to take my job is going to be in a really good situation.”

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The truth is the Rockies are 20 years into existence and still haven't figured out how to sustain pitching quality for more than one season, either by free agency, trades or developing their own prospects. Until they figure out how to do this, they'll never be more than occasional contenders.

IMO, the only way they'll ever accomplish this is to build their staff almost entirely on flamethrowers and sinkerballers because they are the least affected by the altitude. But, then again, Harrell is a sinkerballer and look what happened to him last night versus last week in L.A. when he beat Kershaw.

IMO, Moyer is exactly the wrong type of pitcher for that ballpark and so would anyone who relies on movement to get batters out. I thought Kile and Neagle would have taught that lesson to anyone who hadn't yet understood.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information