Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here is hoping...

Default Here is hoping...

In my very small town there is not really any opportunity to use the training I have had in web design and software programming.

To this point I figured I would either have to move...or try and start a small company selling my work online.

For the first time that I have ever seen jobs in my field have been advertised in this area.

A new company in town is advertising several positions, including entry level web designer and an entry level programmer. I technically can do both of these positions.

I just got done emailing in my resume and am very hopeful for an interview and hire.

I don't care about making a ton of money, at 33 years of age I just want to be able to do something I enjoy.

Wish me luck!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Best Wishes to you Rick - hopefully, you get both positions, if that is something you would want, and it would be feasible for you to do both. Of course, the company would be ahead, as they would be paying one person to do both positions - of course, they would need to make the pay right for you.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

3. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

First step out of the way...

They must have liked atleast some of my resume as they asked me in for interview on Tuesday.

God if all I have to do the rest of mylife is sit in front of computer and code...I will be in heaven.

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

They must have liked atleast some of my resume as they asked me in for interview on Tuesday.

God if all I have to do the rest of mylife is sit in front of computer and code...I will be in heaven.
    I am in a similar situation just due to the nature of the job market. I do web design/graphic design and some coding (HTML, CSS, Flash, XTML probably not nearly on the level you do! ) but mostly design. I was not able to find a good job in Denver because of my lack of experience, so I started doing freelance. After a year or so, I finally just had my second interview today with a non-profit that needed a marketing/web/graphic design person. I start next week! Got my own office with a view of the parking lot and everything!

Sometimes its good to keep you head down and trudge forward and you will do what you love. All of my friends do stuff that have nothing to do with their degree, I'm glad I stuck to my guns. The best part is my freelance took off so much it supplements my income so well that it all goes into savings.

Good luck on the job, and if you haven't already bid on projects at elance.com. They have tons of stuff for web designers!

7. The Following 9 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

How did your interview go today?

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Good Luck!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Congrats Shake, and Good Luck Rick.

What languages are you proficient in Rick?
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Congrats Shake, and Good Luck Rick.

What languages are you proficient in Rick?
    I can write C#, HTML, CSS, getting fairly good at database(MS SQL, MYSQL, Access) and javascript, have been working a good bit on XNA. Have some books in java just need to get down and study them more indepth just haven't yet as I just prefer writing for windows so no need for anything other than C#.

As far as the interview went...wife and I had talked and with the state of the economy and the fact I have been at my current job 8 1/2 years we decided it was best i not move on to a new job at this time.

So I told the interviewers I was only interested in part time or internship at this time, which we will do at a later time as they did not have a time table to do that right now but defnitly want to later.

So was good I got foot in door as job would have been mine if i wanted it. Just a little hard to take a gamble right now when I currently have a ton of job security.

12. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I can write C#, HTML, CSS, getting fairly good at database(MS SQL, MYSQL, Access) and javascript, have been working a good bit on XNA. Have some books in java just need to get down and study them more indepth just haven't yet as I just prefer writing for windows so no need for anything other than C#.

As far as the interview went...wife and I had talked and with the state of the economy and the fact I have been at my current job 8 1/2 years we decided it was best i not move on to a new job at this time.

So I told the interviewers I was only interested in part time or internship at this time, which we will do at a later time as they did not have a time table to do that right now but defnitly want to later.

So was good I got foot in door as job would have been mine if i wanted it. Just a little hard to take a gamble right now when I currently have a ton of job security.
    You ever try Lynda.com for software tutorials? I learned HTML and CSS on there and am currently reviewing PHP and Java just to understand it more. Its really good video tutorials and exercises.

Good luck with your search! I agree about the economy right now, its hard to take risks. I'm scared to death most days...
    Last edited by MasterShake; 02-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Adopted Bronco:

Would there be anything you could do for them from home? That would benefit you, as you could keep your job, and also for them, as they would not need to worry about giving you benefits.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Would there be anything you could do for them from home? That would benefit you, as you could keep your job, and also for them, as they would not need to worry about giving you benefits.
    For sure. As I mentioned before there are TONS of freelance opportunities available for someone of that skill set. I just landed a $1000 contract with a non-profit at risk youth assessment center to do a new web site for them. I am almost done with the site (took me about 20 hours total) and I just worked on it at night when I was bored. Good way to supplement income.
    Last edited by MasterShake; 02-13-2010 at 08:32 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Good luck, bud...

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    For sure. As I mentioned before there are TONS of freelance opportunities available for someone of that skill set. I just landed a $1000 contract with a non-profit at risk youth assessment center to do a new web site for them. I am almost done with the site (took me about 20 hours total) and I just worked on it at night when I was born. Good way to supplement income.
    so you are a prodigy ?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

If you know C#, Java should be no problem for you.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

21. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    For sure. As I mentioned before there are TONS of freelance opportunities available for someone of that skill set. I just landed a $1000 contract with a non-profit at risk youth assessment center to do a new web site for them. I am almost done with the site (took me about 20 hours total) and I just worked on it at night when I was bored. Good way to supplement income.
    Thank you for the site. I took a look last night. Definitly going to have to bid on some projects

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information