Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Various draft news and notes

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default Various draft news and notes

any random stuff that doesn't need its own thread can go here. . .

Mayock: Suh and McCoy are easily draft's top two players
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 22, 2010 8:28 PM ET

Most draft analysts don't inspire confidence, but Mike Mayock of NFL Network has consistently proven to be ahead of the competition. When he bangs his fist on the table for a player, we listen.

On Friday, he said that defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh (Nebraska) and Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma) are the draft's top two prospects. By a lot.

The names aren't surprising, but Mayock's belief in McCoy is noteworthy. He sees Suh and McCoy as equally valuable and doesn't see a quarterback as a candidate for the top pick.

"I think it's a big reach,'' Mayock said. "The logical guy is [Sam] Bradford. I'm not a big [Jimmy] Clausen fan. No way in the world in my mind; that's today, I've still got a lot more work to do on Bradford. Those two players [Suh and McCoy] just dwarf the quarterback issue.''

Mayock's words were transcribed by MLive.com in Detroit, where the Lions hold the second pick. If Mayock is right, Jim Schwartz should be a very happy coach.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jason Paul-Pierre to be riser this draft season?

CBS' Charley Casserly predicts that USF DE Jason Paul-Pierre will be the "fastest riser" during the pre-NFL Draft process.

Mock drafters take note. Ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah also predicted on Twitter late in the week that Paul-Pierre would be a top-five pick. The consensus All-Big East first-teamer only played one year at the D-I level, but led the Bulls in tackles for loss and sacks. Paul-Pierre has a whopping 81-inch wingspan and can do a back flip in full pads. At 6'6/265, look for him to run a sub-4.6 forty-yard dash at February's Scouting Combine.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Jason Paul-Pierre to be riser this draft season?

CBS' Charley Casserly predicts that USF DE Jason Paul-Pierre will be the "fastest riser" during the pre-NFL Draft process.

Mock drafters take note. Ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah also predicted on Twitter late in the week that Paul-Pierre would be a top-five pick. The consensus All-Big East first-teamer only played one year at the D-I level, but led the Bulls in tackles for loss and sacks. Paul-Pierre has a whopping 81-inch wingspan and can do a back flip in full pads. At 6'6/265, look for him to run a sub-4.6 forty-yard dash at February's Scouting Combine.

I heard thats the guy we are looking real hard at.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:

If he fell to Denver...and we end up losing Doom...I think it would be a no-brainer to draft him

7. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If he fell to Denver...and we end up losing Doom...I think it would be a no-brainer to draft him
    Well, what did Mayock say about Ayers last season?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    Well, what did Mayock say about Ayers last season?
    Mayock said in two or three years Ayers may turn out to be this draft's best defensive player.

Again, that's in two or three years.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I like Ayers, but regardless of what he turns into...I wouldnt mind having another one on the other side.

12. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I'm not a fan of Ayers at all. I think what's the most disappointing thing of him for myself is there are plays he just doesn't work very hard.

I long for the days when Denver can actually use the draft to improve the team, as opposed to filling significant holes they lose after the season due to players not meching with the team or whatever reason.

One of the biggest problems Denver seems to have is lack of stability. At some point "building something" needs to be an improved work of progress.

14. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Looks like Jonathan Crompton has drawed some attention at the Texas vs. The Nation Challenge in El Paso, Texas this week. Game is this coming Saturday.

While the Dow falls, Crompton's stock rises

Before and after every practice, Crompton is quickly whisked away from the padded group of all-stars on the Sun Bowl turf to spend time with several National Football League general managers, pro scouts and draft insiders.

"Very good quarterback," said Joel Turner, Crompton's agent. "That's what the majority of NFL teams are saying about him. I was told by one NFL team's director of player personnel that 90 percent of the teams have come here for one reason, Jonathan Crompton. A lot of the teams like him, but about a dozen teams really love him."

The Crompton Camp has already met with the Dallas Cowboys, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos, St. Louis Rams, New Orleans Saints, Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers and several other teams, including the Jacksonville Jaguars, who sent its entire scouting staff along with its general manager to watch the former Vols' QB.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Mayock said in two or three years Ayers may turn out to be this draft's best defensive player.

Again, that's in two or three years.

-----
    He also said "may".

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Looks like Jonathan Crompton has drawed some attention at the Texas vs. The Nation Challenge in El Paso, Texas this week. Game is this coming Saturday.
    really? i haven't watched tennessee since early in the year-- when'd he turn into a good QB?

smiley, report!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

19. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    really? i haven't watched tennessee since early in the year-- when'd he turn into a good QB?

smiley, report!
    he played really well this season . . but i cant recall but for what i remember a lot of his stats came from far lesser opponents this year
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    He also said "may".
    Right. The poster asked what Mayock said about Ayers, and I responded with what Mayock said about Ayers . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Brandon Spikes Quietly Prepares for NFL Draft
    By Jeremy Fowler
    Orlando Sentinel
    February 6, 2010

GAINESVILLE — While Tim Tebow monopolizes the NFL draft headlines, the other star Florida Gator who returned for a senior season last year now quietly prepares for the pros.

That's what Brandon Spikes does best — stay quiet. Spikes hardly conducted interviews during his senior season at Florida, and his recent play didn't exactly electrify college football.

Spikes had his worst season in 2009. He missed two games to a groin injury, one to a suspension for an eye-gouging incident against Georgia and finished with a pedestrian 52 tackles while fighting through heel tendinitis. Teammate Ryan Stamper outplayed him at linebacker.

Still, the Gators defensive captain says he has no regrets as he looks toward his "dream" of playing in the NFL. Spikes is expected to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis from Feb. 24 to March 2.

"I'm anxious to get started," said Spikes, one of 10 Gators expected to appear in Indianapolis. "Hopefully, I can go to the league and grab it by the neck."

Since his sophomore year in 2007, Spikes earned a reputation as a menacing defensive presence that placed fear in the eyes of running backs. At 6-foot-3, 258 pounds with dreads spilling out of his helmet, Spikes is a great open-field tackler while serving as the team's vocal leader.

Those attributes will serve him well at the next level, but he faces challenges that didn't exist at Florida, where his talent could take over.

Spikes must prove he has the closing speed to play on Sundays.

"How he runs at the combine is very important to him," said Rob Rang, director of NFLdraftscout.com. "He has the build, the makeup, the ferocity to be a consistent linebacker in the league, but he doesn't look fast on film. If he stays in shape and runs a respectable 40 time, that can go a long way."

Spikes' legacy at UF transcends draft positioning. With Spikes in the middle the last two years, the Gators went 26-2 and came one ugly Southeastern Conference championship game from a chance at back-to-back national titles.

His production dipped drastically each year — from 131 tackles in 2007 more than 30 tackles less in each of his next two years — but he was always there to make the big play for Florida. Four of Spikes' six career interceptions went for touchdowns.

Next year's Gators must regroup without Spikes, Tebow, Stamper, receiver Riley Cooper and five early NFL draft entrants.

Spikes says he's eager to see how Florida develops

"Those younger players know what we started and the legacy we have here," Spikes said. "They just want to keep it going. I say it all the time to my younger group, the linebacker corps, those guys are talented. The sky's the limit for those guys. If they continue to work and buy into the program, they'll have the same success."

Adopted Bronco:

spikes will be a beast inside in the 3-4. . . love to see him run a bad 40 and drop. . . .
    - John Elway

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information