Thread: (College) Prospect watch: Colt comes out firing

Default (College) Prospect watch: Colt comes out firing

Something KC might wanna consider ... draft Brennan and get his coach, Jones, as the offensive coordinator. Let's see a high powered offense from KC again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns

Prospect watch: Colt comes out firing

By John Murphy, Yahoo! Sports
    September 4, 2007

Hawaii senior quarterback Colt Brennan rolled out the first of what could be many unbelievable statistical performances last weekend against Northern Colorado.

He passed for 416 yards and six touchdowns, while completing 34 of 40 passes, including two or three drops, in the first half of a 63-6 win. Coach June Jones might have tried to call off the dogs, but at this pace Brennan will surpass 60 touchdown passes on the season to go along with roughly 5,000 yards.

He has a quick release, excellent arm strength and puts most of his balls right on the mark. Negatives are that he is somewhat slim-framed and isn’t playing in a pro-style attack. NFL teams will wonder what type of footwork he will have under center and if he can be an effective deep-ball passer at the next level.

Brennan is using his final year of eligibility to work on his leadership and intangibles. Fellow players say he is now a more vocal leader and has very good command of the huddle. He might still be seen by NFL evaluators as a product of the Hawaii system, but Jones considers him the best QB he has ever coached. There is a chance that some NFL team will try to draft Brennan and bring Jones with him as offensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Something KC might wanna consider ... draft Brennan and get his coach, Jones, as the offensive coordinator. Let's see a high powered offense from KC again.

Yeah!!!!! They should totally get the guy that CU ditched for sexually atacking a co-ed!
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

I am sorry to say but I do not think a spread attack would work in the NFL.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    I am sorry to say but I do not think a spread attack would work in the NFL.
    Well, some people argue that the west coast offense of Walsh is an offspring (or was influenced by) of the run-and-shoot, just like the spread is. The objectives are pretty similar in that it's about spreading the offense to create one on one mismatches. (from the footballoutsiders mini-camp articles) So it's not like it's a brand new offense; it's more of a variation, but the principles are similar.

Bobby Petrino was hired in Atlanta to implement such a scheme. We'll see just how successful it will be.

One of the main weaknesses of a spread (or run-and-shoot) approach, is that the quarterback has to get rid of the ball very fast, since he won't have as much protection. If a QB holds on to the ball too long, he could get hurt. One thing going for this offense in today's league, is that the rules are skewed so much in favor of the quarterback's safety that he wouldn't take as much punishment as he would've in, say, the 80's or 90's, when the run-and-shoot had some popularity in the NFL.

I think it could definitely work, and if protection is a big issue, a spread focussed on running the ball will not only protect the QB, but open up the defense for a pass, just like a bootleg/designed rollout would.

hes playing against nobody teams....

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN View Post
    hes playing against nobody teams....
    Well, last season, they beat Arizona State in the Hawaii Bowl. Arizona State was ranked preseason by 2 publications in the mid teens and mid 20s, so they aren't exactly nobodies. Colt scored 5 TDs and 500+ yards on them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I don't bad talk Brennan, but a couple of things to keep in mind is that he doesn't play in powerhouse conference, and with kind offense Jones runs he going put gaudy numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I don't bad talk Brennan, but a couple of things to keep in mind is that he doesn't play in powerhouse conference, and with kind offense Jones runs he going put gaudy numbers.
    You're right, that should seriously affect his draft placement. The Eagles seemed impressed with Kolb, even though he did come from a similarly weak conference. Also, Delhomme has done pretty well, considering he came from an even weaker conference, so who knows?

what is all this college football??

________
    Wiki Vaporizer
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Well, some people argue that the west coast offense of Walsh is an offspring (or was influenced by) of the run-and-shoot, just like the spread is. The objectives are pretty similar in that it's about spreading the offense to create one on one mismatches. (from the footballoutsiders mini-camp articles) So it's not like it's a brand new offense; it's more of a variation, but the principles are similar.

Bobby Petrino was hired in Atlanta to implement such a scheme. We'll see just how successful it will be.

One of the main weaknesses of a spread (or run-and-shoot) approach, is that the quarterback has to get rid of the ball very fast, since he won't have as much protection. If a QB holds on to the ball too long, he could get hurt. One thing going for this offense in today's league, is that the rules are skewed so much in favor of the quarterback's safety that he wouldn't take as much punishment as he would've in, say, the 80's or 90's, when the run-and-shoot had some popularity in the NFL.

I think it could definitely work, and if protection is a big issue, a spread focussed on running the ball will not only protect the QB, but open up the defense for a pass, just like a bootleg/designed rollout would.
    I get what you are saying but it is still an adaptation of it and not a true spread. You don't see players that run spread attacks(The QB's) make much of an impact in the nfl.

I just think the size and speed at the NFL level would eat up a spread that focused on running the ball. Good example is Philly, with the passing game Reid loves to use to try and set up the run game in the end it still comes down to getting production out of the running game, its to easy for NFL defenses to sit back when a team is throwing like 50 times. Philly has gotten solid production out of the offense but it is still not a true spread.

You look at the whole situation in ATL it was all focused on you know who. You would have to have a very solid QB with great field awareness to run a quick decission spread attack in the NFL.

I think we are on the same page when it comes down to it, your point was stated very well by the way.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

I still think he's ridiculously overrated.

I expect him to have an awful NFL career.

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    I get what you are saying but it is still an adaptation of it and not a true spread. You don't see players that run spread attacks(The QB's) make much of an impact in the nfl.

I just think the size and speed at the NFL level would eat up a spread that focused on running the ball. Good example is Philly, with the passing game Reid loves to use to try and set up the run game in the end it still comes down to getting production out of the running game, its to easy for NFL defenses to sit back when a team is throwing like 50 times. Philly has gotten solid production out of the offense but it is still not a true spread.

You look at the whole situation in ATL it was all focused on you know who. You would have to have a very solid QB with great field awareness to run a quick decission spread attack in the NFL.

I think we are on the same page when it comes down to it, your point was stated very well by the way.
    Thanks man. You make some real good arguments there yourself.

I'm curious as to how Petrino will implement his offensive scheme in Atlanta for the NFL, specially, since as you noted, you'd need a real solid QB with great awareness, and the name Joey Harrington doesn't exactly spring to mind.

I have a good feeling, though, that if Colt landed on a pass-happy team, he could have a pretty good go in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver View Post
    I still think he's ridiculously overrated.

I expect him to have an awful NFL career.
    Mainly because of his competition and the style of offense he's in, right?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information