Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why do QBs not throw at combine?

Default why do QBs not throw at combine?

just curious, are they afraid of throwing to receivers they dont know? alot of them only want to throw at their pro day, so wonder if they are focusing purely on the drills like 40, pro agility etc and gonna focus on throwing later?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
    just curious, are they afraid of throwing to receivers they dont know? alot of them only want to throw at their pro day, so wonder if they are focusing purely on the drills like 40, pro agility etc and gonna focus on throwing later?
    You hit the nail right on the head. The receivers. There is a lot to be said for your own receivers, timing, etc. If some receivers are out there screwing up their routes or off on their timing, or just drop balls altogether, who looks bad?

Both do, but most don't want their draft position to rely so heavily on people they don't even know.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
    Maybe it is because someone might comment on how strong an arm one of them
    has, then somebody else will come back and say, "That's not true. He is NOT
    as good as Manning."

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

4. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

They were talking about this on the radio the other day. The reason players don't throw at the combine, but do at their pro day is two-fold. Like has already been mentioned, at their pro day they can throw to receivers they're comfortable with. ALSO, at their pro day, the QBs can pick the routes the receivers will run, whereas at the combine the scouts and coaches pick the patterns. So, at the pro day the QBs can throw the routes they're most comfortable with. That's one reason why the pro day showings are typically better than the combine.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

One of the GMs/scouts said that the WRs have nothing to do w/ what the scouts look at in regards to QBs. They understand there is no chemistry. They want to see all the throws made and what the deep ball looks like...regardless of WHO it's getting thrown to.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Throwing at the combine is a big gamble. If you're a first rounder and/or a high first rounder...throwing at the combine can't really help you much. However, it can hurt you quite a bit. If some scout or scouts start to say you can't make all the throws or your footwork or throwing motion needs to be overhauled...boom you drop. At least at your pro-day...everything is focused on making you look good.

The guys who throw at the combine are the guys who can only improve their draft stock. You have to have some balls to give it a go.

I was really disapointed that Lefeavor decided not to throw. I think it would have really improved his draft position...

Sure, he'll look good at his pro-day...but, it won't have the same affect that a good showing at the combine would have had. Lefeavor is a solid 2-3 round guy...I don't think a good showing at his pro-day gives him enough ammo to move into the 1st.

Competing at the combine, whether throwing the football or running the 40...is a gamble and you have to judge what the risks are...is there upside to doing it...or does the downside outweigh the upside.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived hamrob For This Post:

I believe they are afraid to be compared to each other fearing that if some lesser named QB outshines them or is compareable at a lesser price.

I think after this next CBA when rookie contracts are clearly defined money wise there will be more QB's throwing at them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

11. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Here's the NFL Channel on this specific question:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...outing-the-QBs

13. The Following User High Fived hamrob For This Post:

These guys are all used car salesmen. They're just trying to hide the flaws until they get paid. That's smart.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

15. The Following 7 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    These guys are all used car salesmen. They're just trying to hide the flaws until they get paid. That's smart.
    I don't put too much stock into the combine!!

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

The top prospects have NOTHING to gain and everything to lose. If you are already rated a top 2 QB in the draft, proven from the play on the field, what do you have to gain by throwing the ball at the combine? Nothing. Do everything you can NOT to lower your value when its already as high as it can get.

Other guys, who's value is mid round have nothing but to GAIN... hoping to become a Jamarcus Russell. No one considered him to be a top prospect at all until the combine, and let someone as dumb as Al Davis to draft them high and give the big bucks.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Robert Ayers

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    One of the GMs/scouts said that the WRs have nothing to do w/ what the scouts look at in regards to QBs. They understand there is no chemistry. They want to see all the throws made and what the deep ball looks like...regardless of WHO it's getting thrown to.
    I love this post. Its so true. The scouts really couldnt care less if the WR catches the ball. What they are looking at is the QB's feet, how he handles the ball, and his release. This determines arm strength. Accuracy is not a big concern. THeres 2-3 years of college tape if you care about how accurate a QB is. THey wanna see how he makes all the throws in the route tree but if he misses the WR by a few yards nobody cares.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Carl For This Post:

The combine is where the rubber meets the road.

An "on the hoof" meat show where prospective buyers can get the specs, have one on one meetings with the kids, interview them and get inside their heads, get a valid wonderlich score.

Only those that have something to hide/lose do not perform unless they are cleared medically I would be hesitant to spend a top choice on one. JMHO.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Maybe it is because someone might comment on how strong an arm one of them
    has, then somebody else will come back and say, "That's not true. He is NOT
    as good as Manning."

-----
    That's the spirit! Aren't those subtle little jabs fun!

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

24. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Highly touted QB's dont throw because of agents. They do not want them to risk lowering their draft stock.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information