Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mark McGwire Comes Clean On Steroids Use

Default Mark McGwire Comes Clean On Steroids Use

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

The article is too long to post, so just check the link for those who haven’t seen/read yet, but it's worth a look/read/listen...

Personally, I'm still on the fence on this. I guess I want to believe Mac is sincere and stepping up to the plate (no pun intended), and I guess he comes across that way - at times - during his sit down with Costas, but also seems like a lot of thinly veiled excuses that aren't so easily brushed off - 'lied to protect people,' 'don't care about Hall,' and so on...plus, I didn't really feel sorry for him during his 'emotional' moments.

...I don't know...I think I 'believed' Canseco more.

Maybe I'm just too old and too of a cynic…

(apologies if this was started somewhere else...I didn't see in my quick look around the forum...)

2. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

this is shocking news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

baseball is a pathetic sport in so many ways.

the sport itself is boring as hell
    the 'good ole-boy' quality MLB has is retarded
    steroids run rampant
    special preseason camps have to be set up to help the retarded drunk "athletes" get back into shape
    the revenue sharing/salary cap issue alone makes the sport a total joke
    i cant even put together a complete list of the game's suckiness.... its too big of a topic for one person to cover.

5. The Following User High Fived lewik For This Post:

this doesn't change my opinion, either way. Personally, I say just let them use steroids, because without it, this sport is going to die. It was that home-run battle that SAVED this sport, and it was the steroids that provided it.

Baseball has WAyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many 'purist'... they need to realize that in order to save this boring game, they need something exciting. BIG hits are what people want to see.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I thought this quote was the best from SI's Jon Heyman on Twitter:

If you lie for 10 years, and everyone knows you're lying, what's the value of finally telling the truth?

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Let it die!!!

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Let it die!!!
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

12. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Agreed, who cares at this point. He has not played a game in like 8 years I think?

I never hated Bonds due to steriods. It was due to him being an arrogant sob.
    His talent stands alone and to me even before his steriod use or guess on steriod use, he was one of the best players of all time.

Also in this regard I hold Ken Griffey Jr in high standards because it appears that he never did this and does have 636 hrs and was an awesome cf back in the day with Seattle in that ugly ball park.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Agreed, who cares at this point. He has not played a game in like 8 years I think?

His talent stands alone and to me even before his steriod use or guess on steriod use, he was one of the best players of all time.

Also in this regard I hold Ken Griffey Jr in high standards because it appears that he never did this and does have 636 hrs and was an awesome cf back in the day with Seattle in that ugly ball park.
    The Kingdome was a pit!!

16. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Remember...Bonds REALLY never did steriods.

Anyway, couldn't agree more - Bonds is a total POS.

On that note, couldn't stand Joe Morgan blowing over him (whether he was calling a Giants game or not) every friggin time he'd call a game...

Thought that was important to get off my chest and share...

18. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Baseball, the GAME, is what fans enjoy. The chess match that ensues on a diamond. You can call it boring or full of cheaters or a dead sport or whatever. Doesnt matter to those that truly appreciate it for what it is.

Do cheaters need to be dealt with? Yes. But let's define a cheater.

Taking steroids...most of the people we're hearing about did this when there was no drug testing and steroids were not an illegal part of the game. So at the time, one could argue it wasnt really cheating. They are a perfoemance enhancer...much like amphetamines were in the 50's, 60's and 70's. but no one wants to go back and blame the stars of that era for cheating...why is that?

Cheating or doing things to gain an advantage occurs in all sports. How many NFL receivers would be as good as they are if not for the modern evolution of tackified gloves? Think they dont help tremendously? Put some on and find out. Yeah, you can call it the evolution of equipment, but if that's the case, then a corked bat should be held in the same regard.

Do i appreciate the accomplishments of a Griffey more than a McGwire? Sure...but I'm not ready to throw McGwire under the bus like baseball has done with Pete Rose. IMO, these guys are probably more valuable to the game today than ever. How helpful will it be to have a guy like McGwire teaching young guys the negatives of using PED's and how to do it the right way? How valuable would a guy like Pete Rose, who despite his gambling, played the game the way it should be played and could coach the young prima donnas to do the same?

Baseball is beautiful in my eyes and while bad people will always be a part of it and so-called "fans" will walk away from it when a few players act stupid...the game is still the same and will always survive. it supposedly died in '94, then Ripken came along and broke a record in '95 and supposedly saved the game. Then McGwire and Sosa supposedly saved it again in '98. Every year someone or something is supposedly saving the game. but attendance stays solid and players keep making money. That has to come from somewhere and it's certainly not coming from fans walking away from a "dead" sport.

20. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I'll always like baseball because I grew up on it. The uneven power distribution in the league is far more upsetting to me than any PED controversy.

I think they need a cap and a floor. And a DH in both leagues. All of my gripes center around leveling the playing field for everyone. I'd argue in favor of allowing PEDs, even though that would never fly...

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I'll always like baseball because I grew up on it. The uneven power distribution in the league is far more upsetting to me than any PED controversy.

I think they need a cap and a floor. And a DH in both leagues. All of my gripes center around leveling the playing field for everyone. I'd argue in favor of allowing PEDs, even though that would never fly...
    Selig is actually forming a committee to discuss DH rules and whether to eliminate it, incorporate it in the NL or just leave things alone. Honestly..I like the 2 different sets of rules.

But I agree. MLB needs a cap...but more importantly needs a floor. The cap would affect 1 to maybe 3 or 4 teams. The floor affects about 10.

As far as PED's...like I said. if it's not amphetamines, it's steroids. if it's not steroids, it's HGH. And something new will come along later as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    this doesn't change my opinion, either way. Personally, I say just let them use steroids, because without it, this sport is going to die. It was that home-run battle that SAVED this sport, and it was the steroids that provided it.

Baseball has WAyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many 'purist'... they need to realize that in order to save this boring game, they need something exciting. BIG hits are what people want to see.
    Lol.....baseball is going to die without roids???.........o.k......

McGwire's "sorrow" means nothing when he waits this long to "come clean"....imo
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

I agree about Bonds......

I always enjoy watching him hit.......his "eye" at the plate and smooth swing always was amazing to me....but yea.......what a sob.....
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

26. The Following User High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information