Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 08 Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default MLB 08 Thread

News and discussion...saw a lot of single team threads, but we need something for overall news...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=3265581

Rays' Kazmir to have MRI after feeling discomfort in elbow

Tampa Bay Rays ace Scott Kazmir left the team's intrasquad game Tuesday without throwing a pitch after feeling discomfort in his elbow, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark is reporting.

Kazmir told told the Rays he felt discomfort in his elbow on his last warmup pitch on the practice mound.

Rays spokesman Rick Vaughn told ESPN.com that Kazmir has been sent for an MRI on Tuesday afternoon, although results might not be known until Wednesday.

Kazmir, 24, led the American League in strikeouts last season with 239. Overall, he was 13-9 with a 3.48 ERA for the last-place Rays.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

Baseball will always be my biggest passion. I'll sit in this thread all day.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Baseball will always be my biggest passion. I'll sit in this thread all day.
    Think Kazmir's MRI is just a precaution, and they didn't want him to pitch without it...it could mean bad things if anything shows up...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

If he's on the shelf it puts a big dent in their thoughts of getting out of the cellar. They still have James Shields, but I don't know if he's ready to be an Ace yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

They have the best stable of young arms in the major leagues.

Excluding Kazmir, which I think it is very bad news that he walked off the mound with discomfort in his elbow. Never a good sign.

They have Matt Garza, David Price, Jake McGee, and Wade Townsend. All are STUDS!!!

By the way, I agree without Kazmir this year it makes it very unlikely they will get out of the cellar. However, the Orioles are in their division.
    [

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MHCBill View Post
    They have the best stable of young arms in the major leagues.

Excluding Kazmir, which I think it is very bad news that he walked off the mound with discomfort in his elbow. Never a good sign.

They have Matt Garza, David Price, Jake McGee, and Wade Townsend. All are STUDS!!!

By the way, I agree without Kazmir this year it makes it very unlikely they will get out of the cellar. However, the Orioles are in their division.
    Yeah...don't remind me. However, we could have a nice young team if some of our young arms pan out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

I think the O's best chance in the near term is with the offense.

Jones, Markakis, and Wieters should be three of their top four hitters for the better half of the next decade.

I'm not sold on their young arms... yet.
    [

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jones, Markakis, and Wieters should be three of their top four hitters for the better half of the next decade.

Add Luke Scott to that list...

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Luke Scott?

29 year old outfielder... dime a dozen.

Sorry, he's a stop-gap at best.
    [

Adopted Bronco:

If they are able to pick up another young outfielder in a deal for Roberts, Scott will get dealt elsewhere.

Loewen and Guthrie are solid starters...I think Penn's day has past, but Erbe, Tillman, Olson, Spoone and Liz all have a ton of potential. Maybe even add Gallagher to that list if they deal Roberts to the Cubs

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Jones has Eric Davis potential. I think he's a few years away from it, though, and has to overcome his strikeout problem first. The kid has a fast bat and can club, but he Ks way too easy. It didn't kill me to give him up (Mariners fan) since we got back Bedard in the deal, and I'm a big fan of Balentien (another M's outfielder) and the thunder in his bat. Sherrill, OTOH, is a huge blow to our pen. O's fans should love the guy. Too bad they made him shave his goatee - he looked like an angry badger with a toothache with that thing on.

I expect the Oreos to be pretty hapless for a while yet, though - gotta wait for the bats to mature and hope the young pitchers don't dislocate their arms in the meantime.

Then there's also the small problem of getting past the BoSox and Yanks...

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:

Our division is our biggest problem. Angelos could spend what those two teasm do, but in the Baltimore market, it wouldn't make sense.

All I can do is hope he sells the team to mark Cuban or something.

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Our division is our biggest problem. Angelos could spend what those two teasm do, but in the Baltimore market, it wouldn't make sense.

All I can do is hope he sells the team to mark Cuban or something.
    Good luck with that...we've been over that before of course, baseball isn't letting him in. But, hey, maybe they'll string Selig up by the balls for all this crap, and we'll get someone with some balls in the Commissioner's office.

You're right, the division is the problem for the O's. As long as New York, Boston and Toronto are spending big bucks, and Angelos is trying to be bottom-barrell, small-market guy, they won't be going anywhere. Plus, organizationally, they just don't have much in the tank right now, whereas the Rays do. (However, the Rays have to sign those guys too, and not become the AAAA team for the Yankees/Tigers/Red Sox.)

The other real problem the O's face is the fact that Boston and New York are starting to pour money into their drafts, and Latin and Asian acquisitions, strengthening their systems. Because Selig has no balls and the "slotting" system is only a recommendation, these teams can take the prospects who are going to hold out, like Portello (Although, yes, I know he went to the Tigers, but same premise).

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I'd say Angelos is your biggest problem, honestly, and it's not a money thing. The Ms basically just outwaited that nit-picky control freak to get the Bedard deal done, but he's scared off free agents and trade partners alike with his need to have everything go his way.

I'm hoping your new GM really does have the power he thinks he does, and that Peter will get more hands-off so they can get better, but Angelos has had the Anti-Midas touch (turning gold to lead) for many years now.

The Orioles are gonna have to pull a Cleveland, and seem to be trying to - sell everything they currently have, get back the right prospects and have them all grow up together into a good team.

We'll see if Angelos has the patience to wait it out or if he'll have to dip his fingers in the paint and smear it all over the walls of Camden Yards again just to feel important.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:

The O's farm system ahas improved over the last few years though. We've got some kids down there that can make some noise. I don't expect amazing things from any of them...except Wieters, but that won't happen until they move him to 1B

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information