Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 08 Thread

Crap I thought this was about Middle Linebacker..

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Wieters is gonna be great. I really don't doubt the kid.

Radhames Liz will be fine once he learns to pitch instead of throw - we'll see how long that takes.

Rowell looks like he could be somebody eventually, but he's so young and with a massive strikeout problem that he's at least 2-3 years away even if everything goes right.

And then there's a bunch of arms - you guys definitely seem to have stocked up on arms, though several seem like strict relief arms to me.

In theory, having that many arms is good. Helps with the unavoidable injury bug. We'll see which of em turn out. I wish you luck, though - the AL East is not a division to be in without a 130 million dollar payroll.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:

Looks like the Roberts deal with the Cubs is making a little behind the scenes progress. Currently, the O's are asking for Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno and 2 prospects. From what I learned from an insider...it's the 4th guy in the deal that is currently holding up the process...at least for now. I'm sure Angelos will eventually hold things up once something is agreed upon, but I like the deal.

Sweet thread!!! Baseball is the very best

Go Rockies!!!
    "Get your ass down to first base and shut up!" -- Troy Tulowitzki

"The other sports are just sports, baseball is love." -- Bryant Gumbel

5. The Following User High Fived Snapping Turtle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=3266737

Tampa Bay Rays left-hander Scott Kazmir will be sidelined about two weeks with stuffiness in his throwing arm, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

Kazmir, the Rays' ace, felt discomfort in his arm while warming up for an intrasquad game and walked off the mound to get an MRI. "It felt like it just jammed a little bit, kind of like a hyperextension," he said, according to the report.

"It was just a little scary because I never felt it before," Kazmir said, according to the Times. "But after I talked with [team trainer Ron Porterfield] and everything and we did some of the strength tests, I felt confident it would be all right."

According to the report, Kazmir said he sensed something was wrong on his third warmup pitch and "didn't want to test it." He said there was no popping sound -- usually an indicator of a more serious question -- and that he had full range of motion and no pain afterward.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Today's ESPN Spring Training Blog...

I think this is Insider (I never can remember, because I'm always logged in...), so I'll try to post it everyday.

TIGERS SHUT DOWN RODNEY (1:14 p.m. ET)
    The Tigers were already looking for one setup man, as Joel Zumaya recovers from shoulder surgery. Now they could be searching for a second.

Fernando Rodney has been shut down with shoulder tendinitis and told not to throw for a week. Mlive.com's Danny Knobler reported Wednesday that Rodney underwent an MRI on Tuesday that confirmed he was merely suffering from inflammation. But manager Jim Leyland said Wednesday he's "more concerned than he was a week ago."

"He has plenty of time right now [to get ready for Opening Day]," Leyland said. "But if I'm sitting here 10 days from now or two weeks from now saying the same thing, then we've got issues. ... It's way too early to say he'll definitely be ready. But it's way too early to say he won't be ready, too."

With Zumaya out until at least midseason following reconstructive surgery, a major injury to Rodney would be a big blow for the Tigers. One potential option is former Diamondbacks closer Matt Mantei, who is in camp on a minor league deal. But Mantei hasn't pitched in the big leagues since 2005.
    -- Jayson Stark, ESPN.com

EPSTEIN SPOTS A 'BAD APPLE' (11:45 a.m. ET)
    Courtesy of Boston general manager Theo Epstein, the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry just took on more voltage.

According to a story in the Newark Star Ledger, Epstein called Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina a "bad apple" for belly-aching about New York's trip to Japan to open the 2004 season. Boston and Oakland open this season with a two-game series in Japan on March 25-26.

Epstein apparently was drawing a comparison between his players' embracing of the upcoming trip and some Yankees' reluctance to play in Japan.

"Kevin Brown and Mike Mussina spent the whole time bitching about it ... by the time the Yankees team got back from the trip they were all using it as a crutch," Epstein told Boston radio station WEEI last Friday, according to the Star Ledger. Mussina had a sarcastic reply. "Yeah, we used it as an excuse for winning the division. ... You need a comment from me about him calling me a bad apple? I don't have one."

The Yankees won 101 games and the AL East title in 2004, while the Red Sox went on to win the World Series for the first time since 1918.

LIRIANO ARRIVES AT CAMP(11:03 a.m. ET)
    Francisco Liriano arrived at Minnesota Twins spring training Wednesday after missing the first nine days because of visa problems in his native Dominican Republic.

The pitcher cleared up those issues Monday and hopped a Tuesday morning flight to the United States. The former All-Star is coming off Tommy John surgery and missed all of 2007.

Liriano strolled into the clubhouse shortly after 7:30 a.m. EST with a big smile on his face. He was immediately greeted by teammates eager to see the left-hander who went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA and 144 strikeouts in 121.0 innings in 2006 before developing arm problems.

"We can start now," catcher Mike Redmond shouted across the room. "Franchise is here!"
    --The Associated Press

DICE-K ADDS ANOTHER PITCH (10:20 a.m. ET)
    Daisuke Matsuzaka, already known for his wide array of pitches, has added another weapon to his arsenal: a two-seam fastball.

"It's got the action that ideally the two-seamer would provide," Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said, according to the Boston Herald. "I think it's a matter of getting the repetition where he gains more comfort and confidence in the pitch to where it becomes a more consistent weapon for him."

Matsuzaka used the pitch late last season and has committed to using it on a full-time basis. And if first impressions count for anything, his 40-pitch effort in batting practice -- including getting J.D. Drew to swing and miss at three straight pitches -- suggest that he's on his game early.

"His location was good, he missed just four pitches," Farrell said, according to the Herald. "His pitches all look to be in better shape than last year. I was most impressed with his fastball's location today. His changeup was so-so but he had a good cutter."

CREDE LOOKS GOOD IN RETURN (10:01 a.m. ET)
    Joe Crede, playing his first game since season-ending back surgery last June, appears to have recovered nicely.

During the White Sox intrasquad game, Crede charged a slow roller by minor league catcher Donny Lucy and made a quick stop and throw on the run to throw him out.

''The only thing I can control is my health,'' Crede, who is a free agent after this season and the subject of trade rumors, told reporters. ''I just want to play baseball. It's the game I love and what I want to do for a living, and I'm just happy to have a uniform and be able to do this every day."

CHAVEZ TRUSTS BEANE'S MOVES (9:51 a.m. ET)
    Eric Chavez admits that it feels weird to look around the Oakland clubhouse and see so many veteran teammates gone -- their locker stalls now occupied by young, unknown quantities.

But Chavez also understands general manager Billy Beane's rationale in trading Dan Haren, Nick Swisher and Mark Kotsay for prospects over the winter. In addition, the A's allowed Shannon Stewart to leave through free agency and are reportedly weighing offers for starter Joe Blanton.

Beane routinely points out that teams in Oakland's financial situation can't afford to simply stand still. They either have to aggressively "go for it'' or be prepared to take a step back in order to eventually move forward.

"I think it was the right move as far as the organization is concerned,'' Chavez said, "and Billy has always taken care of the organization first. For the short term, it's hard to see that. But the league is turning over, so the value of younger guys and pitchers in general is going to be tremendous in the next five years. That's what he's doing -- loading up on young pitching.

"People don't like it, especially in Oakland. But I think he had to do it. I really do.''
    -- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com

THE ROYAL TREATMENT FOR KC VETS (9:38 a.m. ET)
    Royals manager Trey Hillman plans to let veterans Mark Grudzielanek or Jose Guillen ease their way into the Cactus League schedule.

"Grud and Guillen probably won't play until the eighth or the ninth [of March]," Hillman said, according to the Kansas City Star. "They're veteran guys, and their bodies know how to get ready. I want them fresh for the start of the season."

Grudzielanek is pleased by the more relaxed approach. He thinks rushing to get onto the field led to the first of two knee injuries he suffered last season.

"The last two years they made it a big thing to play the first [spring] game. What's the big deal about that? So I was out there last year on the first day, when I wasn't close to being ready," he said, according to the Star.

NO KIDDING BILLY (9:32 a.m. ET)
    A friendly preseason exhibition between the Mets and Michigan nearly turned nasty Tuesday when Wolverines junior center fielder Kevin Cislo dared to lay down a bunt on Mets closer Billy Wagner.

Cislo swung at the next pitch, grounding out. But Wagner was not amused. "If he got that bunt down, I would have drilled the next guy," Wagner said.

Mets manager Willie Randolph didn't think that was going to happen. "He couldn't bring himself to drill the kid," he said, according to Newsday. "Nolan Ryan might have. Nolan or Roger [Clemens] may have done it, kid or not."

Michigan, fired up to beat a major-league team, was leading the exhibition 4-2 with two outs in the ninth before Anderson Machado walked and Michel Abreu homered to center. The game ended in a 4-4 tie.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

Looks like shutting Kazmir down is only a precaution. Hopefully a little rest will help.

10. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Looks like shutting Kazmir down is only a precaution. Hopefully a little rest will help.
    I was absolutely stoked for him on the fantasy side of things this year, I guess that's why I'm keeping track of it...

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I was absolutely stoked for him on the fantasy side of things this year, I guess that's why I'm keeping track of it...
    Looking for a cheap stud?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Looking for a cheap stud?
    Only for fantasy baseball.

Adopted Bronco:

Only for fantasy baseball.
    That leaves out Beef.

Take a look at Miguel Batista, John Maine, Noah Lowry, Doug Davis, Carlos Silva, Chad Billingsley, etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That leaves out Beef.

Take a look at Miguel Batista, John Maine, Noah Lowry, Doug Davis, Carlos Silva, Chad Billingsley, etc.
    Billingsly and Maine are definitely on the radar.

Hadn't thought about Lowry...Don't know about Batista. His WHIP is a little high...surprisingly enough though, he might be a better pick up than Dontrelle Willis. Willis is a sexy pick, but they have similar K/9 and Batista's WHIP is better...Now that I'm looking at names that have similar stats, I find some interesting comparisons...

Good call Coach...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

For you Coach:

JONES EASING INTO NEW ROLE WITH O'S (2:14 p.m. ET)
    After an inauspicious debut on Monday in an intersquad game in which he misplayed a ball in the outfield and got picked off the bases, new Orioles outfielder Adam Jones redeemed himself with a grand slam in the team's second intersquad game on Tuesday.

Jones, who was the key player in the trade that sent Erik Bedard to the Mariners, admitted on Tuesday that perhaps he's been pressing during his short stint in Orioles camp. The home run against Fredy Deza, a pitcher manager Dave Trembley said would start the season in the minors, seemed to ease some nerves. Jones also had a single.

"The two hits today both came off easy swings," he said. "But it doesn't count for anything."

Jones is penciled in as the Orioles' starting center fielder, though a bad spring could change those plans. Jones said he's benefited from the help of the some of the veterans, including outfielder Jay Payton, who Jones is likely to displace in the outfield.

"It's been weird," Jones said of being in a new clubhouse. "But every guy has been phenomenal."
    -- Jorge Arangure Jr., ESPN The Magazine

Best of luck to my boy Jones.

GO MARINERS THOUGH.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BABY!

Adopted Bronco:

Billingsly and Maine are definitely on the radar.

Hadn't thought about Lowry...Don't know about Batista. His WHIP is a little high...surprisingly enough though, he might be a better pick up than Dontrelle Willis. Willis is a sexy pick, but they have similar K/9 and Batista's WHIP is better...Now that I'm looking at names that have similar stats, I find some interesting comparisons...

Good call Coach...
    My fantasy team will be full of these guys. Saves a ton of cap space for my sluggers.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information