Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Avs trading

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    It's not stupid. We needed to shore up our D and we needed some grit. With all of the injuries we've had this year, it most certainly won't hurt us by signing Foote. We also got Salei and he's pretty badass. Those moves were low risk with a potential big reward. Foote and Salei have the grit we were missing and if Forsberg can play at 80% of what he used to, he's still better than 90% of the players in the game.
    I have no problem with the Salei move.

I do have a problem with the Avs trading a 1st round for Foote...especially when he is either a RFA or FA after this season. I like Foote, I believe that he is a good/tough defensive player. But he is old. It seems like the Avs refuse to learn that you shouldn't get rid of young prospects or draft picks.

I think 80% is a very optimistic view on Forsberg. I disagree that he is still better than 90% of the players. I love Foppa...but age/injuries have caught up to him. I hope he proves me wrong, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I think the Avs should have pushed more for offensive players. While they did need at least one strong defensive player (Salei), I think they need players to put the puck in the net more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    A first for foote is a bummer but we need him. Big time.

as far as a mirror image- dont forget ROY- thats the biggest difference betweent he two teams is the goaltending.

I played for my highschool in '03 and went to some tourneys, but none were inthe springs so i doubt i skated against you folk.
    You'd know if you skated against me.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

3. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Besides inconsistent play in the net. The avs have solved most of their pressing needs. DEFENSE!

Offense doesnt need as much as one might think, esp. with fopa. Their are only two real needs on offense for the avs and i rank them like this.

1. Person in front of the net to screen the goalie and tip shots-aka ricci, konowalchuk.

2. Power forward- some big ass hard nose guy who just pounds you in the corner and always drives HARD to the net.

Forseberg was that guy, now he is old and hurt, but still has all the skill to control the puck and do his best attribute set up the sweet pass without looking to a wide open man.

If we can get a person to make a camp right in front of their net i promise we will score more goals.

Also i dont like the play calling on the powerplay but thats a whole other subject.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have no problem with the Salei move.

I do have a problem with the Avs trading a 1st round for Foote...especially when he is either a RFA or FA after this season. I like Foote, I believe that he is a good/tough defensive player. But he is old. It seems like the Avs refuse to learn that you shouldn't get rid of young prospects or draft picks.

I think 80% is a very optimistic view on Forsberg. I disagree that he is still better than 90% of the players. I love Foppa...but age/injuries have caught up to him. I hope he proves me wrong, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I think the Avs should have pushed more for offensive players. While they did need at least one strong defensive player (Salei), I think they need players to put the puck in the net more.
    Giving up a first rounder for someone who has been playing in the NHL since 1989 is a little steep, but the Avs are LOADED with young talent between Chris Steward, Nigel Williams, TJ Hensick, and other youngsters that we've drafted that are playing college hockey. The Avs have never really been a team to draft defenseman. Aside from Liles and Foote, I can't really think of any stand-out defensive players that played their first years with the Avs. Sandis Ozolinch (sp?) was good when he played for us, but after he left he flopped. We've always picked up our big name d-men through trades or free agency (Bourque, Blake, etc). I think Salei will do good things for us. He'll match up well with the opposing team's top line while Clarke is out with his separated shoulder.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Besides inconsistent play in the net. The avs have solved most of their pressing needs. DEFENSE!

Offense doesnt need as much as one might think, esp. with fopa. Their are only two real needs on offense for the avs and i rank them like this.

1. Person in front of the net to screen the goalie and tip shots-aka ricci, konowalchuk.

2. Power forward- some big ass hard nose guy who just pounds you in the corner and always drives HARD to the net.

Forseberg was that guy, now he is old and hurt, but still has all the skill to control the puck and do his best attribute set up the sweet pass without looking to a wide open man.

If we can get a person to make a camp right in front of their net i promise we will score more goals.

Also i dont like the play calling on the powerplay but thats a whole other subject.
    Our two power forwards that call in front of the net home are Smyth and Bruno and they're both awesome at it.

Theo has really stepped up his play over the past couple of months and with all of the good things my dad has told me and the good things I've read, I really think he is our guy for the future.

As far as Peter goes, he can also play on the wing. He's tried it with CO before and wasn't as productive, but he takes significantly less abuse. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on a line centered by Stats with Hejduk on the opposite wing. That would probably bump Svatos down to the third line with Arnasson and Bruno (assuming the first line would be Sakic, Smyth, Wolski...you could substitute Wolski and Svatos, but one of them will have to go back down to the third line) and Hensick back to the minors, but that's fine with me.

We're loaded at the forward position. I don't necessarily like being so heavy, but it's a good problem to have.

Our two power forwards that call in front of the net home are Smyth and Bruno and they're both awesome at it.

Theo has really stepped up his play over the past couple of months and with all of the good things my dad has told me and the good things I've read, I really think he is our guy for the future.

As far as Peter goes, he can also play on the wing. He's tried it with CO before and wasn't as productive, but he takes significantly less abuse. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on a line centered by Stats with Hejduk on the opposite wing. That would probably bump Svatos down to the third line with Arnasson and Bruno (assuming the first line would be Sakic, Smyth, Wolski...you could substitute Wolski and Svatos, but one of them will have to go back down to the third line) and Hensick back to the minors, but that's fine with me.

We're loaded at the forward position. I don't necessarily like being so heavy, but it's a good problem to have.

Yep i agree. However Bruno letely in our system has been more behind the net guy. But thats our system. Smyth is still good and no doubt a net crasher, but once again our system imo doesnt quite play to his strenghts.

We seem to be running a lot of corner, dot ,slot on our PP. Which is cool, but i would prefer we moved to more of a corner,net, high slot.

With peter back on the team and brunos, symth,wolskis ability to control the puck no matter who is on them i think that system would work better and open things up a bit more. And of course allow more goals and tips in front. But thats me and i am no coach. But if i could tell Q 1 thing that would be it.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Jose has played well in net lately, I think getting solid defense in front is huge and actually getting offense back and healthy will make a huge difference.

I still think that people do not get the NHL draft, they are viewing it as a NFL 1st round pick, big difference folks. SR and I have said it Avs have some talent depth at the moment so a 1st for Foote was a move to push this team towards the post season this year.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Mike, my son loves your avatar. He was just sitting on my lap while I was reading this page and he kept pointing to it and mumbling some nonsense.

10. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yep i agree. However Bruno letely in our system has been more behind the net guy. But thats our system. Smyth is still good and no doubt a net crasher, but once again our system imo doesnt quite play to his strenghts.

We seem to be running a lot of corner, dot ,slot on our PP. Which is cool, but i would prefer we moved to more of a corner,net, high slot.

With peter back on the team and brunos, symth,wolskis ability to control the puck no matter who is on them i think that system would work better and open things up a bit more. And of course allow more goals and tips in front. But thats me and i am no coach. But if i could tell Q 1 thing that would be it.
    If our first powerplay unit could be Liles and Salei on the points (Salei has a hell of a shot and a big time mean streak) with Peter, Joe, and Hejduk, the other team's coach will be sweating bullets just like they used to even if Peter is only 80%.

If our first powerplay unit could be Liles and Salei on the points (Salei has a hell of a shot and a big time mean streak) with Peter, Joe, and Hejduk, the other team's coach will be sweating bullets just like they used to even if Peter is only 80%.

IM ALREADY GETTING THE CHILLS!
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

smyth = total cherrypicker

do they not play sakic at the point on the PP anymore?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Mike, my son loves your avatar. He was just sitting on my lap while I was reading this page and he kept pointing to it and mumbling some nonsense.
    He must be a good ol red blooded American boy.

I bet it is really nice to get back home to him. I go TDY for 2 weeks and start missing my little girl. I can't imagine what it would be like to deploy. Glad to hear you got back safe.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Both Sakic and Smyth have been hurt. Injuries more than anything have hurt the Avs this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Smyth is a winger, so his job on defense is to cover the opposing team's defense when they're in the offensive zone. If he can see the play coming out of the defensive zone and he leads out, it's not cherry picking. If he's out hanging around at the center ice line while the play is down in the corner, he's cherry picking and I've never seen him do that.

And yes, when Sakic is healthy he plays the point on the PP.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek "aaarrruuuuuu" Wolfe

It was great to see Footer walk from the locker room to the bench....when he got there, the first couple of players didn't notice and had did the double take when they looked at him.....he haden't even met any of the other players yet, and there he is on the bench getting prepared to go in.....hahalolhahalolhaha

Go Av's!!!

PEACE!!!
    SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO

^Thanks MasterShake^

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information