Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walker will be dinner topic tonight

Exclamation Walker will be dinner topic tonight

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-dinner-topic/
    by Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Originally published 12:02 p.m., February 22, 2008
    Updated 12:07 p.m., February 22, 2008

Dinner tonight involving the Broncos' front-office folks and Javon Walker's representative likely will include appetizers, a main course and a potential resolution of the wide receiver's future in Denver.

"The goal is to see what we need to do to bring an end to the situation," agent Kennard McGuire said today during a break in meetings involving the players association.

Walker, at various points, has expressed his unhappiness within a Broncos offense that's perhaps too run-oriented to satiate his desire to catch passes and also continue featuring emerging target Brandon Marshall.

Denver has a hefty investment in a player who doesn't seem to be happy and is attempting to move him before two bonuses become due March 4.

Walker is also a candidate to be released. There's only a slim chance he'll stay in Denver and virtually no shot of an agreement to restructure his contract.

Asked about his gut feeling on his client's future, McGuire responded, "I'll know after dinner."

There's also the issue of Walker's surgically repaired right knee. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said after the season the receiver might need a microfracture procedure given the accumulated damage in Walker's knee. But Walker denied he has been told such a step is in his future and that his second procedure in October was to remove a cyst.

McGuire admitted today part of his role in Indianapolis is "to put to rest any level of concern that anybody would have about his ability to play football." McGuire would not confirm or deny any trade talks nor say that Walker has told him he wants out of Denver.

Walker, 29, is scheduled to count $7.05 million on the salary cap in 2008, and the number would rise to $8 million, plus include a "non-exercise" payout north of $2 million to get rid of him.

But if the Broncos did release him, they could potentially count him as a post-June 1 exemption under the current labor agreement, allowing the club to spread the salary-cap hit over the next two seasons.

Walker missed eight games last season and finished with 26 catches for 287 yards and no touchdowns but was the club's go-to target in his initial season with Denver in 2006.

the way philip rivers likes it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Interesting. Hopefully he's wearing an NFC team's jersey next year.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

He's as good as gone...
    Agent speak is so transparent..

Hate him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by JONtheBRONCO View Post
    Hate him.
    I never would have guessed....

j/k JON...

He's burnt his bridges, let him go.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    CHAMP BAILEY

ill be at the dinner.

ill tell you guys how its goes

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I can't hate the dude. He dealt w/ some pretty severe stuff beginning day 1 of 2007. That has to be effecting his psyche on some level regarding his desire to leave Denver as a whole. I know he is a "me" type, but I wouldn't wish what he has experienced upon anyone. Maybe a fresh situation would help clear his mind a bit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I can't hate the dude. He dealt w/ some pretty severe stuff beginning day 1 of 2007. That has to be effecting his psyche on some level regarding his desire to leave Denver as a whole. I know he is a "me" type, but I wouldn't wish what he has experienced upon anyone. Maybe a fresh situation would help clear his mind a bit.
    Sorry, but that's an excuse. I'm NOT harping on the guy - he went through a lot - but it is time to move on.

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

Maybe the Broncos and JW will finally settle this whole thing. If he stays......cool, however if we trade him I hope we get something good in return. Regardless of what happens let's get this done with so the organization can move on and find a replacement should the case be.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Maybe Glenn Martinez will become the next Rod.

Yeah, he did go through some pretty bad stuff, with the death of Darrent. I'm not denying that. Had to be very tragic and hard for him.

As for Javon being a Denver Bronco. Forget it. He's a ME, ME, ME guy. Doesn't care about his team, his supporters, anybody except Javon. He wants his money and his receptions, if he doesn't get what he wants, he turns sour, like a baby... He's a baby. Never been a fan of selfish guys, and Javon is indeed, a selfish *****.

13. The Following User High Fived JONtheBRONCO For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew25 View Post
    Maybe Glenn Martinez will become the next Rod.
    And maybe pigs will fly out of my butt.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Buff_bronc_fan View Post
    And maybe pigs will fly out of my butt.
    Hmmm. I guess we haven't known each other long enough. I will wait until training camp to scold you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew25 View Post
    Hmmm. I guess we haven't known each other long enough. I will wait until training camp to scold you.
    Is that because my Wayne's World reference wasn't up to snuff, or because you're a hopeless Glenn Martinez fan?

I hope it's the former, or I don't think this can work...

Actually, I think either of those are dealbreakers... I reference Wayne's World at least 3 times a week.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Buff_bronc_fan View Post
    Is that because my Wayne's World reference wasn't up to snuff, or because you're a hopeless Glenn Martinez fan?

I hope it's the former, or I don't think this can work...

Actually, I think either of those are dealbreakers... I reference Wayne's World at least 3 times a week.
    I love Glenn. Not returning punts though. He runs good routes.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information