Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35

Thread: 2008 Combine News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    Not many safeties in the league play at 225. See above for other thoughts.

Being fast and being good in coverage are not always the same thing. Paymah was fast and was lost in coverage for 3 years before he started to catch on a bit.
    very true, and i don't know. but from what i saw at the combine, he can definitley move like a safety, so if he was bad at coverage i would guess it's not because he's physically unable... he looked great in indy, that's all i got lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    I keep seeing Jared Allen doing a spot during some commercial breaks.
    have you ever seen a more ridiculous haircut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

2. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Depends how fast and how well he can play in pass coverage. Straight line speed is just part of the equation. Can he cover well enough? He started as a safety and was moved to linebacker. I'm not sure if he was moved because his team needed help at linebacker or because he had trouble in coverage.
    Not many safeties in the league play at 225. See above for other thoughts.

Being fast and being good in coverage are not always the same thing. Paymah was fast and was lost in coverage for 3 years before he started to catch on a bit.
    He is a natural safety he moved to LB because he was a great athlete and they needed him there.. took one for the team. Character, team oriented something we could use..

If I remember correctly Smith and Atwater were in the 220+ range and not particularly burners the Atwater wannabe we had several years ago and is in DET now played in the 220 range.. Again I could be wrong here but I think it is correct..

4. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

220 + is great size for a SS.... He will do awesome there.... Guys like Roy Williams and Sean Taylor are beast at SS... the only thing is you have to try to keep them off of speedy wideouts. With our cornerbacks and if we can add a FS like Madieu Williams we would be fine having a big SS to cover the tightend and help in the running game as well as blitz like Atwater use to do.

G Money has had him on his list for 6 months, I think. But that was when he was measuring 212, if I remember right.

I think Woodyard is a lot like Derrick Dogget at Oregon State, who played linebacker this year at 215 and was one of the best defensive players in the conference.

Great players. But where do they play in the NFL?

I agree with GMoney: teams will pass on Woodyard early because of this question? I'm not even sure if Dogget gets drafted. I'd love for us to take him late if he's around -- because he would be a hell-raiser on special teams and maybe he could learn to play safety. Dogget is currently listed as a 5th round prospect at outside linebacker.

Woodyard? I thought he'd be around in the fourth. I don't think so now. I'd think third or late second.
    Last edited by mclark; 02-27-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Grade: B-
    12 – RClady, OT, Boise State – excellent
    41 – ERoyal, WR, Virginia Tech – not a value?
    104 – KLichtensteiger, C, Bowling Green – excellent
    115 – JWilliams, CB, Kent State - not a value
    139 – RTorian, RB, Arizona State - not a value
    148 – C Powell DT, Virginia Tech – journeyman type?
    183 – S Larsen, ILB, Arizona – excellent value
    220 -- J Barrett, S, Arizona State – excellent value
    227 -- P Hills, FB, Arkansas – excellent value

Free Agent: love the Woodyard signing.

Atwater was close:

Stephen Dennis Atwater
    Position: DB
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 218 lbs.
    Born: October 28, 1966 in Chicago, IL
    College: Arkansas

Smith was not close:

Dennis Smith
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 200 lbs.
    Born: February 3, 1959 in Santa Monica, CA
    College: USC

However, Atwater played college at safety, not linebacker. What will keep teams from picking Woodyard will be that question of whether he is really a safety or a linebacker. And he might be drafted as a linebacker. If a team has 2 big linebackers and a big effective defensive line, then a small weakside linebacker might not be a problem -- in fact, a fast, agile weakside linebacker could be a huge asset.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    220 + is great size for a SS.... He will do awesome there.... Guys like Roy Williams and Sean Taylor are beast at SS... the only thing is you have to try to keep them off of speedy wideouts. With our cornerbacks and if we can add a FS like Madieu Williams we would be fine having a big SS to cover the tightend and help in the running game as well as blitz like Atwater use to do.
    Playing safety is a lot different than playing linebacker. Roy Williams and Sean Taylor learned to play safety in college and perfected playing safety through experience. Woodyard doesn't have that experience.

I think Woodyard will be drafted as a linebacker by some team that wants more speed in their linebackers.

Playing safety is a lot different than playing linebacker. Roy Williams and Sean Taylor learned to play safety in college and perfected playing safety through experience. Woodyard doesn't have that experience.

I think Woodyard will be drafted as a linebacker by some team that wants more speed in their linebackers.
    Woodyard played safety in college... why wouldn't he be able to play safety in the NFL?

10. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Atwater was close:

Stephen Dennis Atwater
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 218 lbs.
    Born: October 28, 1966 in Chicago, IL
    College: Arkansas

Smith was not close:

Dennis Smith
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 200 lbs.
    Born: February 3, 1959 in Santa Monica, CA
    College: USC

However, Atwater played college at safety, not linebacker. What will keep teams from picking Woodyard will be that question of whether he is really a safety or a linebacker. And he might be drafted as a linebacker. If a team has 2 big linebackers and a big effective defensive line, then a small weakside linebacker might not be a problem -- in fact, a fast, agile weakside linebacker could be a huge asset.

You may be correct But will say it again I do not think he will be around in teh 4th. If he is he would make a great safety project with alot of upside..

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

The more I look at Woodyard, the more I don't care where he plays. I had him pegged at SS when he was about 215. He moves great, is fast and fluid and instinctual on the field, a leader and a great citizen.

But he put on 10-15 pounds and didn't slow down AT ALL. So can he put on 10 more pounds and still keep that 4.5 speed?

If he can do that then all of a sudden he's John Mobley. Not big... but no longer skinny. And with his speed, his ability to play in space, and his sure tackling, he can play the weak-side for me. He, like Mobley, would be a guy who just makes plays then.

But whether I have him take off 10 pounds from where he is now to play safety or put on 10 pounds to stay at LB, he can play for me.

I still want to move DJ back to the Will. If we keep him at the Mike, though, then I'll take Woodyard at the Will with no complaints.

And even as a fan of his I didn't think I would be saying that a couple of months ago.

But the damn kid just keeps impressing the hell outta me.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

My top OT's...

1A. Jake Long
    1B. Ryan Clady
    3. Gosder Cherilius
    4. Chris Williams
    5. Jeff Otah
    6. Sam Baker
    7. Tony Hills
    8. Anthony Collins
    9. John Greco
    10. Duane Brown

15. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    The more I look at Woodyard, the more I don't care where he plays. I had him pegged at SS when he was about 215. He moves great, is fast and fluid and instinctual on the field, a leader and a great citizen.

But he put on 10-15 pounds and didn't slow down AT ALL. So can he put on 10 more pounds and still keep that 4.5 speed?

If he can do that then all of a sudden he's John Mobley. Not big... but no longer skinny. And with his speed, his ability to play in space, and his sure tackling, he can play the weak-side for me. He, like Mobley, would be a guy who just makes plays then.

But whether I have him take off 10 pounds from where he is now to play safety or put on 10 pounds to stay at LB, he can play for me.

I still want to move DJ back to the Will. If we keep him at the Mike, though, then I'll take Woodyard at the Will with no complaints.

And even as a fan of his I didn't think I would be saying that a couple of months ago.

But the damn kid just keeps impressing the hell outta me.

~G
    The best thing about Woodyard is that he's a player. Regardless of the situation, he has a high motor and an amazing attitude on the field. Whenever the team needed a big play on defense, he stepped up and gave it to them. So not only is he big, strong, smart and fast...he's also a leader. Hard to believe some people still have him going in the 4th.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information