Thread: Rate My Fantasy Team!

Default Rate My Fantasy Team!

Hey guys, last night about 18 of us gathered in our Hall's lounge to do a fantasy football draft. It's an 11 team league, so some of us paired up. I thought I did very well, considering I got my starting quarterback in the seventh round, and ended up getting some quality back-ups as well. Without further adieu. . .

Quarterbacks: Philip Rivers (Starter) David Gerard (Reserve)

Running Backs: Laurence Maroney (Starter) Clinton Portis (Starter) Marion Barber III (Reserve) Tatum Bell (Reserve)

Wide Receivers: Tory Holt (Starter) Javon Walker (Starter) Anquan Boldin (Starter) Bernard Berrian (Reserve) Brandon Marshall (Reserve)

Tight Ends: Kellen Winslow, Jr. (Starter) Daniel Graham (Reserve)

Kicker: Jason Elam

Defense: Green Bay

With such key reserve players, I'm looking to find another impact player at receiver or perhaps running back to make room for an extra defense or kicker for when the bye week comes. Otherwise, I feel I have a really powerful team.

The only thing that worries me are Portis and Holt coming off of surgery, but they should be great if they are healthy.

Laurence Maroney is going to be a G, and Marion Barber III has a nose for the end zone and will likely do more than Julius Jones this year. Tatum Bell is a C.O.P guy, but he'll get a lot of takes as Kevin Jones is sidelined with injury.

I think having Walker, Holt and Boldin is fantastic. I even have Bernard Berrian, another #1 as a reserve - and Brandon Marshall is expecting to do big things this year. I got him really late, so I was very happy. One team ended up getting Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith, but I think my group is a little more explosive. They lack a quality back-up.

Winslow gets a lot of yards, and I think will get a lot of touchdowns and looks this year with the unstable situation at QB in Cleveland. A great tight end is a young quarterbacks best friend, so I look for Winslow to make some big strides this year. Having Daniel Graham as a back-up isn't necessarily a bad deal. There aren't many quality tight ends in the league, so I thought it was fortunate to get him with one of my last picks as a back-up.

Nothing much to say about Elam, he's just a solid performer - and Green Bay's defense actually is a fantasy defense to have because of the turnovers and touchdowns. They give up a lot of points, but they also make up for it. Not too bad for one of my last picks as well.

So, what do you think!?

Adopted Bronco:
    darrell jackson!!

not to bad of a team..
    I am also on a team on the computer,its so hard picking a T.E.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Not a bad team but not the best I've seen. It looks like a team that could sneak into the playoffs as the 4 seed, 3 seed at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Hey guys, last night about 18 of us gathered in our Hall's lounge to do a fantasy football draft. It's an 11 team league, so some of us paired up. I thought I did very well, considering I got my starting quarterback in the seventh round, and ended up getting some quality back-ups as well. Without further adieu. . .

Quarterbacks: Philip Rivers (Starter) David Gerard (Reserve)

Running Backs: Laurence Maroney (Starter) Clinton Portis (Starter) Marion Barber III (Reserve) Tatum Bell (Reserve)

Wide Receivers: Tory Holt (Starter) Javon Walker (Starter) Anquan Boldin (Starter) Bernard Berrian (Reserve) Brandon Marshall (Reserve)

Tight Ends: Kellen Winslow, Jr. (Starter) Daniel Graham (Reserve)

Kicker: Jason Elam

Defense: Green Bay

With such key reserve players, I'm looking to find another impact player at receiver or perhaps running back to make room for an extra defense or kicker for when the bye week comes. Otherwise, I feel I have a really powerful team.

The only thing that worries me are Portis and Holt coming off of surgery, but they should be great if they are healthy.

Laurence Maroney is going to be a G, and Marion Barber III has a nose for the end zone and will likely do more than Julius Jones this year. Tatum Bell is a C.O.P guy, but he'll get a lot of takes as Kevin Jones is sidelined with injury.

I think having Walker, Holt and Boldin is fantastic. I even have Bernard Berrian, another #1 as a reserve - and Brandon Marshall is expecting to do big things this year. I got him really late, so I was very happy. One team ended up getting Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith, but I think my group is a little more explosive. They lack a quality back-up.

Winslow gets a lot of yards, and I think will get a lot of touchdowns and looks this year with the unstable situation at QB in Cleveland. A great tight end is a young quarterbacks best friend, so I look for Winslow to make some big strides this year. Having Daniel Graham as a back-up isn't necessarily a bad deal. There aren't many quality tight ends in the league, so I thought it was fortunate to get him with one of my last picks as a back-up.

Nothing much to say about Elam, he's just a solid performer - and Green Bay's defense actually is a fantasy defense to have because of the turnovers and touchdowns. They give up a lot of points, but they also make up for it. Not too bad for one of my last picks as well.

So, what do you think!?

Well, I think you have some problems. Alot depends on your scoring system though. Are you a TD league? 6pts for all TDs, 1 pt every 20 yds rush/rec. Are you a yardage league? 1 point every 10 yards rushing/receiving, 4 point passing TD? Do you count QB sacks, turnovers against you? Can you play a flex? How many WRs are required, 2 or 3?

QB
    Regardless, Rivers has the toughest passing defense schedule in the NFL this year. He's relatively safe to a degree, but he's not going to put up big numbers. I do like Garrard, I think he will put up big numbers and could be a huge boost if you're in a yardage league due to his scrambling. Jags have a pretty easy schedule too.

RB
    Maroney is a risk. His shoulder could become injured at any moment, but the bigger concern is that NE will use Heath Evans at the goal line and Kevin Faulk on 3rd downs. They are going to have to rest Maroney extensively to get him through the season. IF Evans doesn't vulture GL carries, and IF Brady doesn't just pass for TDs to his stellar WR corps, then Maroney could be a legit #1 stud. As it stands, he's a risk. Portis is boom or bust. It all depends on his knee. We know Washington is going to take it easy with him for the first quarter of the season. We know Betts could be better than Portis in that system, though Betts sucks in the red zone. If you're in a TD league, Portis has more value. Another risky pick though. Marion Barber has a ton more value in TD leagues, but is good depth. I'm not sure how much Tatum will play in Detroit. Jones will be back relatively soon, and Duckett has looked much better throughout the preseason then Bell.

WR
    Great WR depth if Holt's knee is okay. You're really solid there. Too bad WR is not as important as RB and possibly QB.

TE
    Winslow is fine, a risk, but fine. Need better backup then Graham. There are a ton of sleepers such as Heath Miller, Marcedes Lewis, Eric Johnson, Bo Scaife, and David Martin that were likely not even drafted in your league. I'd put them over Graham at this point in time at least.

K
    Elam is ok, he's losing some of his range, but he's pretty consistent. I don't like snow kickers though if I can help it. Crazy weather in fantasy playoff time can really **** things up, might have to swap him out by then.

DEF
    GB is a good sleeper defense. The snow will help them in fantasy playoff time.

Overall, I don't like your team because you might have the most injury risk team I've ever seen. Top two RBs, Top TE, Top WR....ouch. However, if none get injured and return to form, you have a great team. I hate risk though, I like to insure I get into the dance at the end. Especially, if money or bragging rights are on the line.

So basically you're a 5/10 or a 8/10 depending on injuries. One makes the playoffs, one does not.
    Last edited by topscribe; 09-09-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: profanity

Not a bad team IMO. You seem to have a similar strategy I do. Get 1 star RB and then get a few good WR's and get quality RB's for backups and a QB in a later round. Pretty solid team though.

But its wierd how its an 11 team draft.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
    Not a bad team IMO. You seem to have a similar strategy I do. Get 1 star RB and then get a few good WR's and get quality RB's for backups and a QB in a later round. Pretty solid team though.

But its wierd how its an 11 team draft.
    No, with Maroney and Portis he probably took RBs with his first 2 picks, which is how it should be done. I still believe that going after WRs early is a horrible strategy. It's the most inconsistent position in fantasy football and there are always good ones available in the 5th or 6th round. To me, the best way to bulid a team is to get your 2 stud RBs with your first 2 picks, take the best QB on the board in the 3rd, then get your WRs in the next 2 rounds. I've won roughly 4 championships with this strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Well, I think you're ******. Alot depends on your scoring system though. Are you a TD league? 6pts for all TDs, 1 pt every 20 yds rush/rec. Are you a yardage league? 1 point every 10 yards rushing/receiving, 4 point passing TD? Do you count QB sacks, turnovers against you? Can you play a flex? How many WRs are required, 2 or 3?

QB
    Regardless, Rivers has the toughest passing defense schedule in the NFL this year. He's relatively safe to a degree, but he's not going to put up big numbers. I do like Garrard, I think he will put up big numbers and could be a huge boost if you're in a yardage league due to his scrambling. Jags have a pretty easy schedule too.

RB
    Maroney is a risk. His shoulder could become injured at any moment, but the bigger concern is that NE will use Heath Evans at the goal line and Kevin Faulk on 3rd downs. They are going to have to rest Maroney extensively to get him through the season. IF Evans doesn't vulture GL carries, and IF Brady doesn't just pass for TDs to his stellar WR corps, then Maroney could be a legit #1 stud. As it stands, he's a risk. Portis is boom or bust. It all depends on his knee. We know Washington is going to take it easy with him for the first quarter of the season. We know Betts could be better than Portis in that system, though Betts sucks in the red zone. If you're in a TD league, Portis has more value. Another risky pick though. Marion Barber has a ton more value in TD leagues, but is good depth. I'm not sure how much Tatum will play in Detroit. Jones will be back relatively soon, and Duckett has looked much better throughout the preseason then Bell.

WR
    Great WR depth if Holt's knee is okay. You're really solid there. Too bad WR is not as important as RB and possibly QB.

TE
    Winslow is fine, a risk, but fine. Need better backup then Graham. There are a ton of sleepers such as Heath Miller, Marcedes Lewis, Eric Johnson, Bo Scaife, and David Martin that were likely not even drafted in your league. I'd put them over Graham at this point in time at least.

K
    Elam is ok, he's losing some of his range, but he's pretty consistent. I don't like snow kickers though if I can help it. Crazy weather in fantasy playoff time can really **** things up, might have to swap him out by then.

DEF
    GB is a good sleeper defense. The snow will help them in fantasy playoff time.

Overall, I don't like your team because you might have the most injury risk team I've ever seen. Top two RBs, Top TE, Top WR....ouch. However, if none get injured and return to form, you have a great team. I hate risk though, I like to insure I get into the dance at the end. Especially, if money or bragging rights are on the line.

So basically you're a 5/10 or a 8/10 depending on injuries. One makes the playoffs, one does not.
    It's Yahoo, so you get points for touchdowns (6) and points per yards for each individual player (when applicable.) Quarterback interceptions count against you, and if your defense allows a lot of points, that hurts you as well. There are all sorts of factors.

It's really a mix. I was drafting #4 to begin with and I took a risk with Maroney, I think he can have a big year. Him, Portis and Holt were all risks, but the value was there for them and if they're healthy this team will blow the others out of the water. It was 11 teams, so it was pretty tough.

Also, I wanted Miller as a back-up, but he was snagged right before I picked. I was pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    No, with Maroney and Portis he probably took RBs with his first 2 picks, which is how it should be done. I still believe that going after WRs early is a horrible strategy. It's the most inconsistent position in fantasy football and there are always good ones available in the 5th or 6th round. To me, the best way to bulid a team is to get your 2 stud RBs with your first 2 picks, take the best QB on the board in the 3rd, then get your WRs in the next 2 rounds. I've won roughly 4 championships with this strategy.
    Its not a horrible strategy. Everyone has thier own strategies. I score the most points in my league usually every year by the way I do things. The thing that always gets me is I play a team with a career week against me in the playoffs and lose 120-115 or something like that. NOw that sucks.

Last year I got Larry Johnson and then I got Mike Bell in like the 8th round. And ended up getting Jones-Drew at the very end of things.

I always end up getting RB's who produce late rather then WR's. Although last year I got J-walk in the middle rounds. My Wr's were Chad, Torry, and Javon and my RBs was Larry and Jones-Drew. Bulger at the QB and Gates for the TE.

and that was in a 12 team league.

Everyones different though and I agree that most people LOVE to get the RBs with the first 2 picks. But I would rather get a Great WR who I know will produce in the 2nd round rather then a RB who I dont know what he is going to do. Because ALL the Good RBs are taken early and I'm left with players who might get 45 percent of the carries or Rookies so then I wait on it and try to get them later. Plus in my league we start 3 WR's and 2 Rb's so I dont have a need for 2 RBs as badly as other leagues.

And yea he could have gotten Portis in the 3rd round Maybe. I wanted Portis but he was taken. Hes my favorite RB in the league but I'm not sure if hes worth having any more. Hes not even happy in Washington. I did get Betts just in case.

So dont call my strategy horrible lol
    I'm a contender every year in every league in which I am available for my live draft. Everyone thinks RB, RB, RB and get all excited. Not to mention I can always trade. Hell one year(your going to think I'm crazy) But I drafted 3 QBs with my first 3 picks. LMAO! Then I traded them all to people with a WR for a decent RB. and did that to a few teams. I ended up with an alright season but that was one year where I was trying things different.

I like to experiment with things(and no I'm not Gay or Bi) But the RB,WR,WR strategy has worked out best for me.

Sorry for ruining your day.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You got VERY lucky nabbing Jones-Drew with that late pick. Had he not panned out you would've had no RB depth. To each his own though!

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    You got VERY lucky nabbing Jones-Drew with that late pick. Had he not panned out you would've had no RB depth. To each his own though!
    Well it wasnt the last pick but it was near the end of picks 8)

I'm good with my rookie RBs that I seem to draft.

I drafted Portis in his rookie season.
    Cadalac in his rookie season.
    Jones-Drew in his rookie season.

There was one more I had to but I forgot and he wasnt as great.

But I seem to do good drafting a 2nd RB late.

so until I fail at it I will continue my strategy lol
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information