PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do We Miss Harris at RT?

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
A post Carol or Pn made earlier today got me to thinking, and I did some research (it's been a slow day for the most part) on our performance with and without Harris starting at RT. The results are interesting.

With Harris starting at RT (eight games):

Record: 7 - 1

Net Rushing: 1,107 yards on 249 attempts, 4.45 avg.

Offensive points: 184 total, 23.0 per game

Without Harris starting at RT (seven games):

Record: 1 - 6

Net Rushing: 645 yards on 169 attempts, 3.8 avg.

Offensive points: 118 total, 16.86 per game

Obviously Harris isn't the whole story, but the difference in rushing is astounding, and undoubtedly that has an effect on the final score and the win/loss column to some degree.

The top row (with Harris starting) includes the Baltimore game which is the game he left with the injury. It also included the KC game where he came back and started the KC game (44-13, 245 yards on 45 attempts).

After the Pittsburgh game (game eight) is when Hamilton was replaced by Hochstein. In that game we only acheived 26 yards on fourteen attempts. Ugh.

I've noted all season that our only successful runs seem to be off the edges, off-tackle and outside. It would seem that without Harris at the RT we even lose that ability, and just simply can't run the ball effectively enough.

The comparison is pretty astounding. There's a whole host of other facets, but this difference is pretty hard to ignore.

Edit, I meant to include this thought in the original post:

What's very telling is the difference in our performance against Oakland,both with and without Harris.

Oakland game one with Harris: 186 yards on 37 attempts, 27 points scored

Oakland game two without: 80 yards on 28 attempts, 19 points scored

Superchop 7
12-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Harris has "it".

underrated29
12-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, he is a stud and we really really miss him.

Remember he was graded as first rd talent at LT but fell because of back surgery.

I think he has shown he was graded correctly.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
One other way to look at these numbers:

With Harris:

138 net rushing yards per game.

Without Harris:

92 net rushing yards per game.

G_Money
12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
We knew he had talent. What we wondered was whether he would hold up. It was his 2 back surgeries I was worried about, but foot surgery isn't good either. Hopefully he's back healthy next year and we don't have to start looking for a new tackle to pair with our new guard and center...

~G

GEM
12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
How much do we miss Harris......

let me count the ways!! Too many to count. :yardog:

GEM
12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
It seems funny to me that the first time I ever saw him he was fresh outta high school on True Life on MTV. Eating like a madman because he was undersize for college ball. I can't believe how much he freaking ate to put on the pounds.

shank
12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
clay isn't sold on harris yet.

broken12
12-30-2009, 08:41 PM
a whole bunch, hes probably our best run blocker! and polumbo was getting rocked last week, but harris is missed for sure!

pnbronco
12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks NTL for looking that up. Like I said I was getting a headache when I heard that and my first thought was that can't be right.

I am amazed at the difference. What I can't believe is that this has not been brought up more by the press. So yes we really, really miss him. I hope he recovers and can stay healthy in the future.

Dzone
12-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Polumbus has been a disaster. Yes, yes, he is a local boy we all wish would make good, but he has stunk up the place...How many times did he get pushed into the backfield on running plays to the right?

Canmore
12-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Polumbus has been a disaster. Yes, yes, he is a local boy we all wish would make good, but he has stunk up the place...How many times did he get pushed into the backfield on running plays to the right?

Too many. Harris is a big loss.

rationalfan
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
i've been thinking the same thing for a while. it seems too coincidental that the team's slide is parallel to harris' injury.

MOtorboat
12-30-2009, 11:07 PM
You can hide deficiency at the guard position with tackle play.

Can't do it with a deficient tackle. This has been huge and has led to the collapse.

Too bad people who only focus on skill positions can understand this.

broken12
12-30-2009, 11:23 PM
You can hide deficiency at the guard position with tackle play.

Can't do it with a deficient tackle. This has been huge and has led to the collapse.

Too bad people who only focus on skill positions can understand this.

sounds dumb to me, tom brady year in and year out has back up offensive lineman play for a period of time yet he dont seem to get sacked so much...what an idiot

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
sounds dumb to me, tom brady year in and year out has back up offensive lineman play for a period of time yet he dont seem to get sacked so much...what an idiot

Here are all the stats so far for NFL quarterbacks: Kyle has been sacked 27 times; the most - Aaron Rogers 50 times. Obviously, there must be more to a sack than a quarterback being labeled as "not mobile".

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition

broken12
12-30-2009, 11:48 PM
yeah rogers been only sacked 9 times since week ten, and was sacked 7 times in minnesota alone, rogers also gets the ball downfield more thus requiring him to hold onto the ball longer more than 50 completions for +20 and 16+40 yards, if orton was required to get the ball downfield more than yeah i would understand some of those sacks, but he isnt, its a short passing game from mcd so he shouldnt be taking so many sacks!