PDA

View Full Version : Watching Craig Morton

Dreadnought
12-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I recently found (while cleaning house w/ wife prior to Thanksgiving company) my DVD of this 1979 game v. the Seahawks

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197909230den.htm

A few things I noted. The halftime show was Stone Age. Announcers had big time hair back then. Bob Swenson was a beast. And when he got a little time nobody in a Bronco uniform ever threw a better, prettier, more accurate long pass than Craig Morton.

In this game we started Norris Weese, who was going to be the next big thing, running QB of the future, yada yada yada. Time for a change, Craig was yesterday's news, etc. Weese stunk, Jim Zorn lit up our defense, and early in the 2nd half Morton trots off the bench facing a 34-10 deficit. Morton prodeeded to roast the Seahawks alive, leading the Broncs to 27 unanswered points - just brilliant! If you think Elway was the first guy to have a come from behind win...nope.

topscribe
12-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I recently found (while cleaning house w/ wife prior to Thanksgiving company) my DVD of this 1979 game v. the Seahawks

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197909230den.htm

A few things I noted. The halftime show was Stone Age. Announcers had big time hair back then. Bob Swenson was a beast. And when he got a little time nobody in a Bronco uniform ever threw a better, prettier, more accurate long pass than Craig Morton.

In this game we started Norris Weese, who was going to be the next big thing, running QB of the future, yada yada yada. Time for a change, Craig was yesterday's news, etc. Weese stunk, Jim Zorn lit up our defense, and early in the 2nd half Morton trots off the bench facing a 34-10 deficit. Morton prodeeded to roast the Seahawks alive, leading the Broncs to 27 unanswered points - just brilliant! If you think Elway was the first guy to have a come from behind win...nope.

I got the biggest kick out of Morton's comment after the game: "Nothin' to it." :lol:

The guy was a card in addition to everything else.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Morton had an absolute howitzer for an arm . . .

-----

Northman
12-30-2009, 02:46 PM
You know, i saw the coolest thing the other day. I got the DVD of the Broncos History for xmas and so Missy and I sat down to watch it. Although i have been a Bronco fan for a long time i really didnt know too much about the early history of the team. For instance i never knew that we were the first in the modern era to start a black QB in Marlin Briscoe. Thing is, he didnt look half bad but then again i never saw those games back then. Maybe the old man Top can shed some light on that. :)

topscribe
12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
You know, i saw the coolest thing the other day. I got the DVD of the Broncos History for xmas and so Missy and I sat down to watch it. Although i have been a Bronco fan for a long time i really didnt know too much about the early history of the team. For instance i never knew that we were the first in the modern era to start a black QB in Marlin Briscoe. Thing is, he didnt look half bad but then again i never saw those games back then. Maybe the old man Top can shed some light on that. :)

Briscoe couldn't make it as QB for the Denver Broncos for one reason: Lou Saban was a bigot.

At least, that is my opinion. But then, ol' Lou had a lot of problems. He fired Floyd Little. :lol:

BTW, the Broncos had the first black field-goal kicker in pro football, too: Gene Mingo.

But now back to my second favorite QB, Larry Craig Morton . . .

P.S. You'll find this (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19690808&id=DuQTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RAUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7234,4899677) interesting. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Dreadnought
12-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Wow - the Bengals signed Paul Robinson to a new $50,000 contract after his 1026 yard rookie year :lol:

topscribe
12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow - the Bengals signed Paul Robinson to a new $50,000 contract after his 1026 yard rookie year :lol:

That was real money back then. I remember when David Thompson raised some
eyebrows back in the mid-'70s by signing a $100,000 contract with the Denver
Nuggets. :eek:

-----

broncofaninfla
12-31-2009, 09:50 AM
When Morton had time he was as accurate as anybody, he was horrible under pressure though. Loved Norris Weese's ability to scramble but not a very accurate passer and mad bad decsions. Then we traded for Matt Robinson from the jets, boy did he suck! I liked DeBerg, he was solid for us but enter the Duke of Denver Elway and the rest is History!

Dreadnought
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
When Morton had time he was as accurate as anybody, he was horrible under pressure though. Loved Norris Weese's ability to scramble but not a very accurate passer and mad bad decsions. Then we traded for Matt Robinson from the jets, boy did he suck! I liked DeBerg, he was solid for us but enter the Duke of Denver Elway and the rest is History!

May we never again see a Bronco QB as bad as Matt Robinson.

I kind of liked DeBerg, too. He played very well in 83 when Elway got benched during his rookie year (Elway was almost as bad as Matt Robinson his first year.) We rattled off 4 straight wins before he got hurt, and we were again stuck with a rookie Elway the rest of the season. Elway at one point had lost 6 starts in a row, and his QB rating that year was an amazingly bad 54.8. The lights went on for Elway in '84.

claymore
12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
May we never again see a Bronco QB as bad as Matt Robinson.

I kind of liked DeBerg, too. He played very well in 83 when Elway got benched during his rookie year (Elway was almost as bad as Matt Robinson his first year.) We rattled off 4 straight wins before he got hurt, and we were again stuck with a rookie Elway the rest of the season. Elway at one point had lost 6 starts in a row, and his QB rating that year was an amazingly bad 54.8. The lights went on for Elway in '84.

I will never forget the Hoopla when Elway was aquired in 83. Man it was crazy. Even Kubiak was berated with interviews and questions about Elway.

FanInAZ
01-01-2010, 02:23 AM
# 7 of the Broncos may have been retired with Elway's name on it, but Morton will always be the "original" Broncos #7 to me. He was the man when I first started watching Football in the mid-70s. I believe that it was during Elway's rookie season that my dad said that Morton was, "the best pure passer that Denver ever had." In other words, Morton may have been as mobile as a brick wall, but his skills as a passer were second to none. At least that was the case up to Elway's rookie season. None of the QBs that we have had since don't deserve to be mentioned in this conversation.

pnbronco
01-01-2010, 03:21 AM
I was not a Bronco fan back in 1977. Grew up in small town in Southern Colo and was working in a gift shop for the summer. Red Miller and his wife came into the shop. I didn't know who he was so I asked what he did, he kind of laughed and said he was the Coach for the Denver Broncos, I laughed and said sure you are. Then his wife started laughing. They were really nice and bought a bunch and went on their way.

That fall I saw a program about the Broncos and went, oh my he was telling the truth...:eek:

LordTrychon
01-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Who?

:P

Wish I could see it. :beer:

Edit.... seriously? No :P smiley?

Dzone
01-01-2010, 04:49 AM
great history...would like to see some of that video of morton

titan
01-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Marlin Briscoe was one of the most exciting players for the late 60's broncos. He was small but one of the best scramblers I've ever seen and he had a good arm for a little guy. Problem was the Broncos had invested too much in Steve Tensi (2 #1's) so Briscoe was shipped out of town. Tensi had a good arm but was a statue in the pocket - not a good recipe for success with the Broncos shaky offensive line. Briscoe at least could make plays with his feet.

titan
01-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Morton had the 2nd best arm of any Bronco qb (next to Elway).

If I had to pick one past bronco quarterback Kyle Orton reminds me of it would be Steve DeBerg. DeBerg was solid but not spectacular, and the Broncos could only go so far with him before Elway came on the scene.

topscribe
01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
# 7 of the Broncos may have been retired with Elway's name on it, but Morton will always be the "original" Broncos #7 to me. He was the man when I first started watching Football in the mid-70s. I believe that it was during Elway's rookie season that my dad said that Morton was, "the best pure passer that Denver ever had." In other words, Morton may have been as mobile as a brick wall, but his skills as a passer were second to none. At least that was the case up to Elway's rookie season. None of the QBs that we have had since don't deserve to be mentioned in this conversation.

Well, with three playoff seasons in a row and the single season franchise
passing record in yards, I feel comfortable in mentioning Plummer's name
there.

Nonetheless, had Elway never come along, Morton would have been the best
QB the Broncos ever had . . .

-----