PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 4

sneakers
12-30-2009, 06:39 AM
They are working on it already?

http://www.examiner.com/x-32507-Minneapolis-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m12d29-Playstation-4-may-not-include-cell-processor

Playstation 4 may not include cell processor

Sony has announced that they are already working to develop the Playstation 4 console, but may be scrapping the cell processor used in the PS3. They are considering several options, including the traditional PC multi-core processor.

Sony is also looking at modifying the cell processor or using Intel's Larrabee chipset. With the PS3 being originally planned as a 10-year project for Sony, the earliest possible release of the PS4 will be 2012. For a system to go from the planning process into full production usually takes two years.

The cell processor has many advantages over the competing systems, but many of the third party programmers are having difficulty programming for it at this time. Sega's recent release of Bayonetta is a good example, having to constantly load between screens or when a lot of enemies are on screen at once. Sony wants to be more developer-friendly in the future with their next console.

MasterShake
12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
They are working on it already?

http://www.examiner.com/x-32507-Minneapolis-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m12d29-Playstation-4-may-not-include-cell-processor

Yup. I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft are well into at least the planning phases on their new systems, too. As the article mentioned, the lifespan of a console is 6-10 years and after one comes out the research and development on the next starts almost immediately.

The best example I can think of on this is shortly after the SNES started to decline and Sega had the Sega CD, Nintendo was developing a CD based game system with Sony. Nintendo's CEO decided to scrap the CD console in favor of a cartridge based system (the N64) and Sony kept developing the CD console and made the Playstation. Not only did Nintendo lose a neat console, they also lost Square and Final Fantasy to the newer, more powerful Playstation. The rest is history, as they say! :lol:

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2009, 10:18 AM
It's funny, but the Blue-Ray and Cell Processor were the selling points for me to go with the PS3 vs the Xbox360.

I love the Blue-Ray, but it's dissappointing that the cell processor system and its power seem too complicated for software designers to take advantage of.

MasterShake
12-30-2009, 10:57 AM
It's funny, but the Blue-Ray and Cell Processor were the selling points for me to go with the PS3 vs the Xbox360.

I love the Blue-Ray, but it's dissappointing that the cell processor system and its power seem too complicated for software designers to take advantage of.

Not only that, but you can buy a Blu Ray player for around $100 that blows away the PS3 blu ray. I just got one that streams Netflix wirelessly and has a movie ordering service and YouTube for $140.

The other sad thing (like you said) is that the PS3 should theoretically blow away the XBOX 360 in terms of graphics but no one can tap the power. I still like Sony, but they are even losing their exclusives. The only games that I'm missing out on are Metal Gear and God of War 3. Might have to rent those...

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Not only that, but you can buy a Blu Ray player for around $100 that blows away the PS3 blu ray. I just got one that streams Netflix wirelessly and has a movie ordering service and YouTube for $140.

The other sad thing (like you said) is that the PS3 should theoretically blow away the XBOX 360 in terms of graphics but no one can tap the power. I still like Sony, but they are even losing their exclusives. The only games that I'm missing out on are Metal Gear and God of War 3. Might have to rent those...

You can stream Netflix on the PS3 now too in HD (on available movies). I've been doing that quite a bit. . .much better than hooking up the laptop to the tv or watching on the laptop. Also Sony has the movie renting/ordering capability on the PS3 now too.

It's amazing how everthing is getting so integrated. Really cool too.

honz
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I want to play Uncharted 2. That's the only reason I wish I had a PS3.

MasterShake
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
You can stream Netflix on the PS3 now too in HD (on available movies). I've been doing that quite a bit. . .much better than hooking up the laptop to the tv or watching on the laptop. Also Sony has the movie renting/ordering capability on the PS3 now too.

It's amazing how everthing is getting so integrated. Really cool too.

Yeah, I know. My xbox has the Netflix as well. I was just saying for the price! :lol:

Shazam!
12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I always preferred the 360 to the PS3, and now it's even more apparent because I own both.

The PS3 never gained the momentum Sony thought it would've, and Bluray discs haven't taken over the market as the next medium the same way of the VHS when DVDs came out and went mainstream. BRD holds less than 10% share of the market, they have to compete against PPV, Netflix, less expensive DVDs, upscaling DVD players, etc. The XBox 360 is still going strong after 5 years. The Wii is the overall leader in the marketplace, but their library is largely abysmal and full of shovelware, they don't move as many games as they should for leading the market. Even with top-titles like Madworld and Dead Space not generating anything, and their version of two year old CoD4 was an absolute trainwreck. It proves that the Wii isn't suited for games like this, and is a more family-friendly, casual audience. I hate using 'casual' but I don't know what else to use.

With the 360 and PS3 duking it out for the HD gamer market, and Sony lost a lot of users, publishers, and reputation with them taking far too long to deliver top titles. Not to mention third party titles are inferior and PSN can't compare to LIVE.

Sony said themselves that the PS3 will have a life of over 10 years. To be talking of it's successor less than 4 years in if they come out with a new one too soon spells disaster. Reminds me of when Sega was moving away from their consoles that were saturated into the market for newer ones, and gamers were pissed and felt betrayed and never forgave them.

Broncogator
01-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Yup. I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft are well into at least the planning phases on their new systems, too. As the article mentioned, the lifespan of a console is 6-10 years and after one comes out the research and development on the next starts almost immediately.

The best example I can think of on this is shortly after the SNES started to decline and Sega had the Sega CD, Nintendo was developing a CD based game system with Sony. Nintendo's CEO decided to scrap the CD console in favor of a cartridge based system (the N64) and Sony kept developing the CD console and made the Playstation. Not only did Nintendo lose a neat console, they also lost Square and Final Fantasy to the newer, more powerful Playstation. The rest is history, as they say! :lol:

I had that Sega Cd thing...reminded me of the old Dragons Lair, but the Sega had some pretty good longevity..nothing touched it till the PS1

Benetto
01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Sony should focus on selling more PS3's and developing games for its 3 year old console....Not start making plans for a PS4.

Makes me a little upset its been 3 years, and Devs are still trying to master the Cell processor. On the bright side though, it took scientists years to harness the power of plutonium after it was discovered..

Shazam!
01-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Sony should focus on selling more PS3's and developing games for its 3 year old console....Not start making plans for a PS4.

Makes me a little upset its been 3 years, and Devs are still trying to master the Cell processor.

One problem I think is with the releases of Metal Gear Solid 4 and God of War 3, many of their key exclusives have been maxed out. With others like Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry and GTA available for 360 too, a lot of key games that sold consoles are done already. I think they should've waited a little while longer with these titles, and offered better games than Lair and Heavenly Sword.

On the bright side though, it took scientists years to harness the power of plutonium after it was discovered...

lol not even in the same league man.

Benetto
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
LOL...What are you talking about man? You didn't know...The state of Oregon's electricity is powered by three networked Cell processors? :coffee: