View Full Version : CBSSports.com:AFC West Preview

Skinny
09-06-2007, 11:59 AM
AFC West Preview: If loaded Chargers stumble, Broncos could steal division
Sep. 5, 2007
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

AFC West Preview
The San Diego Chargers went 14-2 last season, have virtually the entire roster back, yet there is some uncertainty about this team.

Why?

Let's start with a new head coach.

Marty Schottenheimer was sent packing after the Chargers lost to the New England Patriots in the playoffs, which brought in Norv Tuner as head coach. Turner's two previous head-coaching jobs in Washington and Oakland produced a combined 59-83-1 record.

Turner is considered one of the brightest offensive minds in the game, but his easy going approach is a far cry from Schottenheimer’s rigid ways, and that could be a big difference for this young team.

Then again, Turner has never had talent like he has now.

In running back LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers have the best back in football. The offensive line is one of the best groups and quarterback Philip Rivers plays the position like a veteran, even though 2006 was his first as a starter.

The front seven on defense is outstanding, led by Shawne Merriman, which makes it tough for teams to catch up against San Diego's explosive offense.

So why not just christen this group Super Bowl champs now?

There are a couple of reasons.

The way the Chargers players adjust to Turner and two new coordinators is vital to their success. How often do 14-2 teams have the top three spots all filled by new people?

That could have an impact.

A go-to receiver also has to emerge. Vincent Jackson was impressive in the preseason, but he has to become a 75-catch player to take some of the pressure off tight end Antonio Gates in the passing game.

The secondary has also had moments of struggle, and that unit needs to play better.

If all three of those question areas get fixed, watch out. In 2005, the Indianapolis Colts had the best record in the league and were upset in the playoffs, then won it all a year later.

The Chargers could be following that same script.

But just winning the division won't be easy. The Denver Broncos will be right there with them.

If quarterback Jay Cutler, who took over as the starter last season as a rookie, can have a Rivers-like season, the Broncos could even win the division. You know they will run the ball well with Travis Henry, and new defensive coordinator Jim Bates will get a talented defense playing better.

The Chargers, though, are the class of the division, and some might say the league.

But a new staff makes for some interesting debate as to whether they can duplicate their 14-2 season of a year ago.

That's not likely, but this might be an even better team than that one -- even with a new coach. So anything less than a Super Bowl would be a big-time disappointment for the Chargers.

They've said it already. And I agree. No ring means bad season for this group.

San Diego Chargers

Among the Chargers' few unknowns: The Norv factor. (AP)
Significant additions: WR Craig Davis, S Eric Weddle.

Significant subtractions: WR Keenan McCardell, LB Donnie Edwards, S Terrence Kiel.

Biggest offseason move: Pushing coach Marty Schottenheimer out the door and replacing him with Norv Turner. If the Chargers stumble, San Diego’s fans will let A.J. Smith have it.

Will go to the playoffs if ... they play to their expectations. This is a good football team.

Rookie to watch: Davis. On a team that needs receiver help, he has the speed to provide it.

Overview: This is a deep, talented team. There are stars everywhere. But something says the Chargers won't be as good as they were last season. There's no way they're going 14-2 again. The change in the coaching staff could be felt, even though there are some top-notch coaches on the staff. They still don't have a real go-to receiver, which showed up in the playoff loss to the Patriots. They will be in the playoff mix, but once again I think they will fall short of the Super Bowl.

Denver Broncos

Significant additions:RB Travis Henry, CB Dre' Bly, TE Daniel Graham, DT Sam Adams, DE Simeon Rice, DE Jarvis Moss, DT Marcus Thomas, WR Brandon Stokley.

Significant subtractions: QB Jake Plummer, RB Tatum Bell, T George Foster, MLB Al Wilson.

Biggest offseason move: Signing Henry. The Broncos wanted to get a better runner for their system, and they think Henry is the guy.

Will go to the playoffs if ... Cutler takes a big step up as a second-year starter.

Rookie to watch: The Broncos need to improve their pass rush; Moss gives them a real speed threat off the edge.

Overview: This is one of the many teams in the league that can be special if the quarterback goes to the next level. Cutler has the arm and the swagger, but does he have the field savvy? Probably so, but we’ll see. The defense must get a better pass rush if the Broncos are to get to the Super Bowl. Rookie defensive ends Moss and Crowder should help. The addition of Bly to go with Champ Bailey will make it tough going down the field for opposing offenses. Mike Shanahan will get the best out of Cutler, which could put the Broncos in the playoffs as a wild card.

Oakland Raiders

Can Daunte Culpepper lift this offense? (AP)
Significant additions:QB JaMarcus Russell, QB Daunte Culpepper, RB Dominic Rhodes, TE Zach Miller, FB Justin Griffin, C Jeremy Newberry.

Significant subtractions: QB Aaron Brooks, WR Randy Moss, T Langston Walker.

Biggest offseason move: Bringing in a 32-year-old head coach in Lane Kiffin, the youngest coach in the league. He is making a huge jump from college coordinator to NFL head coach.

Will go to the playoffs if ... Ken Stabler re-appears in his prime. It just isn't happening.

Rookie to watch: Miller. He is a pass-catching tight end who should be a factor in the offense. It would be Russell, but he missed too much time.

Overview: It's too bad this team struggled last year, because people missed out on a great defense. The Raiders have the making of a special unit, with a lot of young playmakers. That side will have to carry the team again in 2007. The offense, no matter who plays quarterback, will struggle. Teams will load up against them to stop the run because of the quarterback situation. Kiffin will do wonders to get this team to seven victories, maybe eight because of the defense.

Kansas City Chiefs

Significant additions:LB Donnie Edwards, WR Dwayne Bowe, LB Napoleon Harris, T Damien McIntosh.

Significant subtractions: QB Trent Green, G Will Shields, WR Dante Hall, LB Kawika Mitchell, S Sammy Knight.

Biggest offseason move: Making the decision to get rid of Green and go with Damon Huard as the starter. Green wasn't the long-term answer, but neither is Huard.

Will go to the playoffs if ... Huard plays like Green did in his best years with the Chiefs.

Rookie to watch: Third-round defensive tackle Tank Tyler is a load in the middle and will be a key contributor to the defense.

Overview: The Chiefs are kind of caught in a quandary. They have talent to win now, but they don't have the right guy to trigger the offense. They thought it might be Brodie Croyle, but he floundered in the preseason and Huard was named the starter. Is he really anything more than a journeyman? The defense should be better than a year ago, but I'm not sure the offense will be even close. Larry Johnson better get ready to take a lot of hits -- one-dimensional offenses just don't work.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10334801

SBboundBRONCOS
09-06-2007, 03:13 PM
no comment yet, i thought it was good skinny

best part was the faiders, we will go to the playoffs if . . . . hahaha

i think its gonna be a very tight race between us and the chargers,

Skinny
09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
no comment yet, i thought it was good skinny

best part was the faiders, we will go to the playoffs if . . . . hahaha

i think its gonna be a very tight race between us and the chargers,Yeah, i agree with that.

If Prisco has them (teams) listed in order that he thinks they will finish, i am a bit suprised at Oak. being ahead of K.C.

If i was a Cheifs fan, i'd be pissed!

SBboundBRONCOS
09-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, i agree with that.

If Prisco has them (teams) listed in order that he thinks they will finish, i am a bit suprised at Oak. being ahead of K.C.

If i was a Cheifs fan, i'd be pissed!

me too

thank god we were not curesed with that misfortune:pray: