PDA

View Full Version : Denver has decisions to make on Walker, Henry, Gold

MyBroncosFootball
02-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Harsh decisions are possible for the likes of receiver Javon Walker, running back Travis Henry and outside linebacker Ian Gold. All are expected to be offered for trade, but any deal must be consummated quickly.

Henry's $6 million option bonus is due Feb. 29. Walker has a $5.4 million bonus due March 4. Gold has a $500,000 bonus due March 3.

Stargazer
02-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Henry's $6 million option bonus is due Feb. 29. Walker has a $5.4 million bonus due March 4. Gold has a $500,000 bonus due March 3.

Dump all three.

TimBuff10
02-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Before they dump any of the three they better be able to figure out who they will be replacing them with.

Winning will fix the Walker problem 100%.

In order to win we better be able to run the ball though. I wouldn't mind seeing them dump Henry if they could be sure to get one of the top 2 or 3 backs in the draft.

As for Gold, he sure isn't the best but if we are going to put a 6th round pick or some guy off the street in his position, I would rather him stay.

None of it matters though if they don't get some run stoppers on D. A big Defensive Tackle may be the key to turning the team around.

Lonestar
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Before they dump any of the three they better be able to figure out who they will be replacing them with.

Winning will fix the Walker problem 100%.

In order to win we better be able to run the ball though. I wouldn't mind seeing them dump Henry if they could be sure to get one of the top 2 or 3 backs in the draft.

As for Gold, he sure isn't the best but if we are going to put a 6th round pick or some guy off the street in his position, I would rather him stay.

None of it matters though if they don't get some run stoppers on D. A big Defensive Tackle may be the key to turning the team around.

It is not just who they would replace them with but more so the reason they are all salary cap hogs..

Unless they can drop these salary inefficient clowns they will kill us.

If they were producing the numbers that their cap numbers imply, keep them all but they are mill stones around mikey neck..

Not one of them produced 25% of what their cap numbers should have..

HolyDiver
02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Dump all three.

Took the words right out of my mouth................Let's start our youth movement right now..............Walker is 29......Gold is 30................Henry is almost 29 as well...............Gold won't start anyway.............

Hoshdude7
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I think if we can just get a couple draft picks for those 3, it will be a steal.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I think we need at least 3 more of this exact same thread before we can really address in the appropriate manner.

Retired_Member_001
02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Dump all three.

Yep. There's not a real decision to make.

jhns
02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
This is just speculation from stuff that has been said so far in the offseason. I don't think there is any cap friendly way to get rid of those 3 at once.

Unless Walker just refuses to play here, I don't really want to see him go. He does have health concers but we are not going to find another receiver that good if he leaves. That is mostly because I believe that even if CJ and Moss both leave their teams, we don't have much of a shot at them. If he comes back healthy, he will get some balls and love playing here again.

Retired_Member_001
02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
This is just speculation from stuff that has been said so far in the offseason. I don't think there is any cap friendly way to get rid of those 3 at once.

Unless Walker just refuses to play here, I don't really want to see him go. He does have health concers but we are not going to find another receiver that good if he leaves. That is mostly because I believe that even if CJ and Moss both leave their teams, we don't have much of a shot at them. If he comes back healthy, he will get some balls and love playing here again.

Unless he gets injured, and goes off whining like a little girl again.

jhns
02-18-2008, 06:55 PM

I would rather have a whining playmaker than a quiet average guy. It isn't like he has problems with anyone in the locker room. I don't see him as a big distraction, which means I can pretty much ignore his complaining.

Retired_Member_001
02-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I would rather have a whining playmaker than a quiet average guy. It isn't like he has problems with anyone in the locker room. I don't see him as a big distraction, which means I can pretty much ignore his complaining.

The problem is he will always be injured. There are some players who are just plagued to a career of being stuck on the sidelines and with the trainer, Javon is one of the guys and he whines like a little girl in the process.

pnbronco
02-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Wook I actually hope Walker can come back and stay healthy but you really make me laugh, thanks....:laugh::laugh:

broncosfanscott
02-18-2008, 11:26 PM
The problem is he will always be injured. There are some players who are just plagued to a career of being stuck on the sidelines and with the trainer, Javon is one of the guys and he whines like a little girl in the process.

I hope he realizes it and comes to his senses. He has a damaged ego from being injured and watching Marshall do what he wanted to be doing and time in Atlanta may fix it.

arapaho2
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM

thats not entirely true...walker was injured in preseason, and was nothing but positive, walker had a cleanup surgury in camp and was nothing but upbeat, walker had surgury in the season and wanted nothing but to get back on the field, never complaining

it wasnt until the end of the season when in his last games he was virtually overlooked and had no timeing with cutler ..at the end of the season.....since then he has apologized and hasnt been a distraction of the least bit

his problem is he wants to compete......and i think all we need is some assurences that if he's healthy he will get the ball, and his problem was at the end of the season, it didnt appear that he would even be a big piece or key in our offense...thats all he wants
i would much rather have walker back with shanny letting him know he will be a featured wr with marshell...no #1 just the two equal starters

as for henry...he faced alot of distractions last season but when he ran he ran hard....and he still would be a great back in our system without all the drug case and threat of suspension looming over his head

the way i see it gold is the only dispensible player of the three
unless someone can guarentee that we will get equal talent at rb and wr after takeing the hit from the accelerated cap compounded by the money any qualified talent would want .....which i dont see in the Fa market, and i wouldnt want to rely on a rookie in both wr and Rb as the savior of the season in those positions at the same time

TimBuff10
02-19-2008, 03:53 AM
It doesn't take much for a team to get on a roll and do something great like the Giants last year and the Steelers a few years ago. It also doesn't take much for things to fall apart or never really get going like the Broncos last year.

That being said, I really believe that the main thing that screwed us was the whole Travis Henry thing. We were doing pretty good for the first few games and then as Henry went, so did the Broncos. His distraction was too much to overcome...

Drugs, no drugs, suspension, well maybe he did but there is proof he didn't, then the injury, he's back but he isn't 100%, now he is, no wait, he isn't. No continuity with the new guys, too little, too slow, where is Mike Bell? Oh fumble in the Bears game and then the killer was the Henry fumbles in that Raider game in Oakland.

Point is, there were many that can have the finger pointed at them but to me Henry was the biggest liability this year and the one I am most inclined to get rid of if, IF, we cand find a replacement plan for the RB position.

nevcraw
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Would you all take this trade?
Walker to the skins: in return we swap 1st round picks, and get their 2nd round pick.

Restructure henry, and dump Gold..

HolyDiver
02-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Walker to the skins: in return we swap 1st round picks, and get their 2nd round pick.

No way..............I would take swapping our #1's and taking their 2nd round pick though.

Retired_Member_001
02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
thats not entirely true...walker was injured in preseason, and was nothing but positive, walker had a cleanup surgury in camp and was nothing but upbeat, walker had surgury in the season and wanted nothing but to get back on the field, never complaining

it wasnt until the end of the season when in his last games he was virtually overlooked and had no timeing with cutler ..at the end of the season.....since then he has apologized and hasnt been a distraction of the least bit

his problem is he wants to compete......and i think all we need is some assurences that if he's healthy he will get the ball, and his problem was at the end of the season, it didnt appear that he would even be a big piece or key in our offense...thats all he wants
i would much rather have walker back with shanny letting him know he will be a featured wr with marshell...no #1 just the two equal starters

Yes and the reason Javon Walker was happy in the pre-season is because he still thought he would be the no. one guy. In fact Brandon Marshall pissed off the Coach in training camp so Javon must have thought he was going to be the big thing. However when he saw there was another big time WR in town he became one big girl again.

The reason he was overlooked in the last few games is because he either was coming back from injury or he sucked.

Don't take me as a Javon Walker hater, I had high hopes for him before the season and I thought he would become a top 10 receiver. He was one of my favourite non-Bronco players when he was in Green Bay, heck I even adopted him as my adopt a Bronco. However I just don't think his attitude is right, he has been a little girl in Green Bay and now in Denver.

If Javon can come back next season and be healthy, and happy not being the guy who gets 100 receptions a season, then great. I will be over the world because our WR corps will be elite. However I just don't see it happening.

Retired_Member_001
02-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Come on!

You know we can rob the Skins better than that.

:laugh:

arapaho2
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes and the reason Javon Walker was happy in the pre-season is because he still thought he would be the no. one guy. In fact Brandon Marshall pissed off the Coach in training camp so Javon must have thought he was going to be the big thing. However when he saw there was another big time WR in town he became one big girl again.

The reason he was overlooked in the last few games is because he either was coming back from injury or he sucked.

Don't take me as a Javon Walker hater, I had high hopes for him before the season and I thought he would become a top 10 receiver. He was one of my favourite non-Bronco players when he was in Green Bay, heck I even adopted him as my adopt a Bronco. However I just don't think his attitude is right, he has been a little girl in Green Bay and now in Denver.

If Javon can come back next season and be healthy, and happy not being the guy who gets 100 receptions a season, then great. I will be over the world because our WR corps will be elite. However I just don't see it happening.

he made one...one statment about not being right in denver...other then that nothing...and you call him a little girl?... and yes when a person resorts to name calling as a way to belittle someone it does sound like hate....seems like he did nothing more then plummer saying it was his last game and he wouldnt be a bronco no more either..was he a crybaby also

fact of the matter is with his cap amount accelerated if cut....where are we gonna find a person with his talent and still fit the cap...this amounts to paying him to leave and paying another wr to come in

Retired_Member_001
02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
he made one...one statment about not being right in denver...other then that nothing...and you call him a little girl?... and yes when a person resorts to name calling as a way to belittle someone it does sound like hate....seems like he did nothing more then plummer saying it was his last game and he wouldnt be a bronco no more either..was he a crybaby also

fact of the matter is with his cap amount accelerated if cut....where are we gonna find a person with his talent and still fit the cap...this amounts to paying him to leave and paying another wr to come in

Sorry but from what I saw in the video, he was crying like a little girl. First of all I disagree with running to the media with things like that. Second of all he wasn't respectfully saying " I think I'm the wrong fit for this team", he was saying "I'm not getting the ball, so bye team and teammates but I'm a selfish egomaniac".

It happened in Green Bay and now Denver.

As I said before, I'd love it if he could come back, be healthy and happy not being the #1 guy, but I don't see it happening.

Rick
02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
It doesn't take much for a team to get on a roll and do something great like the Giants last year and the Steelers a few years ago. It also doesn't take much for things to fall apart or never really get going like the Broncos last year.

That being said, I really believe that the main thing that screwed us was the whole Travis Henry thing. We were doing pretty good for the first few games and then as Henry went, so did the Broncos. His distraction was too much to overcome...

Drugs, no drugs, suspension, well maybe he did but there is proof he didn't, then the injury, he's back but he isn't 100%, now he is, no wait, he isn't. No continuity with the new guys, too little, too slow, where is Mike Bell? Oh fumble in the Bears game and then the killer was the Henry fumbles in that Raider game in Oakland.

Point is, there were many that can have the finger pointed at them but to me Henry was the biggest liability this year and the one I am most inclined to get rid of if, IF, we cand find a replacement plan for the RB position.

I don't believe for a minute that the Henry drug thing was why we fell apart. We fell apart because we could not score nor stop others from scoring, not because of drugs.

Before Henry's drug thing we scored 15, 23, 14, 20, and 3.

That trend was pretty much the same all year, as from start to finsh we were ran over by running backs and could not play consistant offence at all.

Fan in Exile
02-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Sorry but from what I saw in the video, he was crying like a little girl. First of all I disagree with running to the media with things like that. Second of all he wasn't respectfully saying " I think I'm the wrong fit for this team", he was saying "I'm not getting the ball, so bye team and teammates but I'm a selfish egomaniac".

It happened in Green Bay and now Denver.

As I said before, I'd love it if he could come back, be healthy and happy not being the #1 guy, but I don't see it happening.

You are completely wrong about Walker, both in Denver and in Green Bay. This has been explained and backed up so many times I don't know why people are so hard on him.

BOSSHOGG30
02-19-2008, 07:02 PM
You are completely wrong about Walker, both in Denver and in Green Bay. This has been explained and backed up so many times I don't know why people are so hard on him.

Sure it has.

Lonestar
02-19-2008, 07:17 PM

He was not happy in GB because his QB did not back him up about wanting a new contract.. he held out on his team and his fans..

He got hurt here after good but not great season the year before..

Thought he'd be the cats rear end here because it was an old guy and an almost rookie he was competing with.

When Jay got on a roll with Brandon and Brandon with him on the bench and then when he came back in and was not in sync with the QB.... the pissing and moaning started..

In the last game he "told Jay to throw to Brandon so he could get his records". Sure I believe that about as far as I could throw him..

He went on the offensive again about not being the right place for him.. On the record..

then a few days alter tried to smooth it over by a half assed retraction on the air..

Sorry but unless she is willing to take less and restructure his contract with incentive built in I say do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out..

ikillz0mbies
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
For the Walker situation, it is pretty much his pride. The Broncos and Walker simply both want separate things. Walker isn't going to change, and with Marshall, the Broncos aren't going to change. Walker wants to be the number one guy in Denver and NOTHING less, then he got injured and Marshall took advantage and proved to be MORE than what was expected of him. Marshall is the Broncos number one guy, not Walker. It doesn't mean Walker is a crybaby or what not, it's just his pride. Broncos are going towards a direction, Walker doesn't want to go where they're going.

As for Travis Henry, I'm just tired of all this wait until the next year, the off-field distractions, etc. I get enough off-field distractions in sports with my Sacramento Kings and Ron Artest. Henry wasn't able to play the full 16 games for the Broncos due to injury and the off the field issues. I know health is an uncontrollable and unpredictable factor with it comes to sports, but he does have a history. Like Walker, they have health concerns. What raises a question to me is how the Broncos have to go after guys that have a history with injuries? I know when Walker played his first season in Denver, he was amazing, health was not a concern, but you KNOW that it was going to come back. Why keep Henry if you know that an injury will get him again? Why not draft a running back? Or sign Turner? Henry has become a liability or was headed in that direction when he got signed. There is no doubt that Henry is talented, but why should the Broncos have another inconsistency at running back due to injury? Thats just my two cents on this whole Walker/Henry deal.