PDA

View Full Version : Keep Orton?

WARHORSE
12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Okay, we've heard McDaniels talk about losing the line of scrimmage with the offensive line. We know we need defensive linemen to go with what we have already, and BTW, our Dline is wearing down, but they have played above their heads all year imo. I have nothing but applause for them.

So we know we need help in the trenches, and lets understand that whether through FAgency or draft, those areas will be addressed.

But still, the most important position on the field is QB. And the question I keep asking myself is, if I were in McDs position, what do I do?

I believe there are a number of different scenarios that can play themselves out during the offseason. The Broncos will need to have multiple scenarios thought through in order to get better at the position.

Keep Orton, focus on the center and LG positions while grooming Brandstater and perhaps another raw late draft pick QB?

And if you do keep Orton, how long do you sign him for? Certainly not 5 or 6 yrs.

What happens, if Orton asks for a specific amount of money, and the Broncos balk? What happens, if Orton goes somewhere else? What happens if Orton tries to force us into franchising him? We still have BMarsh, Doom and Kuper to sign.

Orton is kind of being overlooked from a fan standpoint, we all are wondering what happens if Marshall wants the big payday. I dont believe Marshall likes this offense. But what happens if some other team is whispering sweet nothings at Orton? What if someone tries to woo him away?

Its not that I love Orton, but I just dont like the alternatives.........unless........

Is there a chance the Broncos make a play for Jimmy Clausen? All logic would say no initially.

But I believe there are two teams that are SUPER interested in Clausen: The Broncos and the Browns.

Holmgren may bring in Weis as an OC for the Browns, and then go get Clausen cause he already knows the offense.

But its the same offense the Broncos run.

Have you seen Clausen play? Id take him in a heartbeat.

Hes mobile. Smart. Poised. A leader. Durable. Strong armed. Makes good decisions. Quick release, pretty much a 3/4 release. Most of all, he gets rid of the ball quickly with quick decisions. Very decisive. That will keep him on his feet in this league.

If we dont sign Orton, will Denver be wise to move up in the draft? We already have a great LT to protect him.

If we lose Orton, who will play under center in Denver? Brandstater? Simms?(Oh Lord)

Jason Campbell? Pennington? Tavaris Jackson? Troy Smith?

I dont like Bradford for this team. His arm doesnt look that strong to me and he hasnt played much under center. I havent seen alot of him though.

Should we keep Orton?

That will be the million dollar offseason question.

Cause without him, the alternatives are, simply put.......scary.

Except Clausen.

Watch the whole thing. He makes every throw.
Check out the throw at 4:13

BTW.....anything familiar you see? Yep. Its our offense. Only watch Clausen run it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MasterShake
12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I think we can sign Orton short term for a good price. He seems to like the opportunity he has here and I feel he got better as the year went on despite the line play.

Sign him for a few more seasons, groom Brandstater, and shore up that O-line!

I think the only other for sure contracts we need are Marshall and Doom. They are the new faces of the Offense and Defense.

Elevation inc
12-29-2009, 02:15 PM
i think we can actually trade orton for solid value to a team like the bills.....get some picks draft a future QB...lol

im sure this will go over well...HAHA

broken12
12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
i say trade him. everyone On this board knows He's a great qb. So lets trade him for some offensive linemen and d linemen we can probably get a bunch for a no turnover franchise qb like him. maybe trade him for julious peppers and one of their running backs and a draft pick. The panther are a qb away from being a contender and we got one. With so many weaknesses along our o line and d line we can get a bunch for him. My vote trade him. Hershel walker style.

Elevation inc
12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
i say trade him. everyone On this board knows He's a great qb. So lets trade him for some offensive linemen and d linemen we can probably get a bunch for a no turnover franchise qb like him. maybe trade him for julious peppers and one of their running backs and a draft pick. The panther are a qb away from being a contender and we got one. With so many weaknesses along our o line and d line we can get a bunch for him. My vote trade him. Hershel walker style.

i was thinking more along the lines of trading orton and berger for shane lechler...:lol:

broncofaninfla
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
This ones tough because I don't know who will be available. If a good one is out there, I'm all for improving over Orton. I've went back and forth with Orton all season long but my opinion is now that he played ok given the poor play calling. Mcd didn't stretch defenses enough, played it too safe and just wasn't very effective in the passing game play calling. I would like a Qb with a better scrambling ability and bigger arm but until one is available I'm ok with Orton. Maybe Brandstater can step up next season? I've lost all hope in Simms though.........

T.K.O.
12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
he did'nt set any nfl records but, he did play well considering injuries and the fact that it was his 1st year with a new offense and all new players around him.i think it would be foolish to start all over with a new qb who has to do the same thing next year.
we should try to sign him to a 2 year deal and draft a 2-4 rnd qb (lose simms) then we would have branstater in his 2nd year with the playbook and another camp/preseason under his belt,which would have to be an upgrade from our current 2nd string qb...and 2 young guns battling for the starting spot in a year or two.

WARHORSE
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
i think we can actually trade orton for solid value to a team like the bills.....get some picks draft a future QB...lol

im sure this will go over well...HAHA

Cant trade him unless we franchise him. Dont see anyone paying that for him.

Northman
12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
It all depends on the direction that McD will go. If he doesnt shore up the line's he will need to find a QB who is more of a playmaker or a quicker decision maker ala Manning, Brady, etc. But since there are very few QB's who are NFL ready that would mean you would have to groom one which takes a couple of years. If your going to shore up the lines, then you lock up Orton for a couple of years and let guys like Brandstater or another young QB sit and learn.

Elevation inc
12-29-2009, 02:36 PM

am i wrong in thinking that he will be a RFA with no cba???? as of right now no CBA means no CBA so i think he is restricted which means we can tender him and trade him if a team wants him....same with doom, marshall, kuper and sheff if im not mistaken, under the current set-up they all are RFA's since no what ifs count since no CBA has been approved...

WARHORSE
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
am i wrong in thinking that he will be a RFA with no cba???? as of right now no CBA means no CBA so i think he is restricted which means we can tender him and trade him if a team wants him....same with doom, marshall, kuper and sheff if im not mistaken, under the current set-up they all are RFA's since no what ifs count since no CBA has been approved...

If theres no CBA, yes, hes a RFA.

He would be tradable then.

Elevation inc
12-29-2009, 02:40 PM

exactly and right now there is no cba so he is restricted.....so give me some shane lechler with a draft pick....lol;)

CoachChaz
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM

See: Matt Cassel

CoachChaz
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM

There will be a CBA. Count on it

Elevation inc
12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
There will be a CBA. Count on it

many league sources, pundits and officals feel otherwise.....who knows def will be a entertaining off-season...

missingnumber7
12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I think we keep Orton, Brandstater and McD drafts someone late. Orton is learning the system. We pick up some Oline help and the O is taken care of. Use the rest of the money available to fix D issues, read aging secondary, and let a young QB learn the system for next year and the quicker he comes along the sooner Orton becomes a clipboard holder.

camdisco24
12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I really think Orton will do better with more protection. I say we sign him, bring up Brandstater and draft quality late round QB. Orton is a QB that needs a little time, if we fix the O-line I think it will solve alot of our offensive problems.

I dont think anyone would argue that Orton is the long term solution for us, but he is not the reason we have lost 7 games this year. I think next year will be a good one for Orton.

ikillz0mbies
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I do think Orton should be kept. He will have a year of experience under this offense plus he would make a good back up for the future. I honestly think McDaniels will consider drafted a QB in the mid-rounds rather than the late round. But if he really likes Brandstater and can groom him into a good QB, then he will probably draft a QB in the late rounds or none at all. If Orton is kept, I hope that McDaniels can open up the play book next season instead of a conservative one.

Grover
12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I think Orton is playing hurt. If you look at him in games, he grimaces noticably, gets sacked with very little pressure, and won't run twelve feet for a first down.
The ankle sprains he suffered weeks ago are still affecting his play and limiting his mobility. (Just like what happened when he was in Chicago).

And because of this, I think we should look for another QB no later than the 3rd round, and groom him to play sooner rather than later.

sneakers
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I think to bring in another qb at this time would be a step backwards.

topscribe
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
It all depends on the direction that McD will go. If he doesnt shore up the line's he will need to find a QB who is more of a playmaker or a quicker decision maker ala Manning, Brady, etc. But since there are very few QB's who are NFL ready that would mean you would have to groom one which takes a couple of years. If your going to shore up the lines, then you lock up Orton for a couple of years and let guys like Brandstater or another young QB sit and learn.

Sign Orton. Whatever else happens, happens. But sign Orton.

-----

topscribe
12-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I do think Orton should be kept. He will have a year of experience under this offense plus he would make a good back up for the future. I honestly think McDaniels will consider drafted a QB in the mid-rounds rather than the late round. But if he really likes Brandstater and can groom him into a good QB, then he will probably draft a QB in the late rounds or none at all. If Orton is kept, I hope that McDaniels can open up the play book next season instead of a conservative one.

McDaniels probably will a little more if he can get to where he feels he can trust the pass protection . . .

-----

broncophan
12-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Sign Orton......I don't want a new qb every other year around here......that would not be good........and his veteran leadership is good to have.

camdisco24
12-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I think Orton is playing hurt. If you look at him in games, he grimaces noticably, gets sacked with very little pressure, and won't run twelve feet for a first down.
The ankle sprains he suffered weeks ago are still affecting his play and limiting his mobility. (Just like what happened when he was in Chicago).

And because of this, I think we should look for another QB no later than the 3rd round, and groom him to play sooner rather than later.

You know... thats a good point. He wasn't going down as easy early in the season. You very well could be right. After all, the same thing did happen to him last year...

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Sign Orton. Whatever else happens, happens. But sign Orton.

-----

I don't like Orton. but he isn't a bad QB for now while we're searching for our next mainstay, but I do think if you're going to bring him back you need to consider what his value is.

If he wants a long term deal, it better be more than reasonable, and back ended to be cap friendly. If he wants big time money, see ya. If he just wants to stay in Denver, you sign him to a reasonable offer.

He is not the kind of QB you pay big bucks for, but he would be ideal for bringing a young guy along, like Brandstater.

And please God say no to Jimmy Clownsen.

topscribe
12-29-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't like Orton.

NOOOOOooooooo :eek:

:D

-----

LoyalSoldier
12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Unless an amazing QB opens up on the market, Orton is the best option we have. So we will have to keep him for at least a year.

I may be a critic of Orton, but man he is a lot better than some of the other QBs we could find.

bcbronc
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I voted sign Orton and draft a mid to late QB, but I'd be okay with taking one in the first. if he was BPA and McD felt he was a better fit for his system than Orton it's a pick that makes sense. But I'd still want Orton to be the starter next season (unless the unlikely scenario of the rook winning the job in TC).

part of the reason is the value of where we'll be picking. it's looking like Chicago will be giving us a pick somewhere in the 10-12 range. depending on how you rate our needs, our biggest needs likely won't be considered there (OG, C). It makes no sense to take a RB, WR, or TE here, nor an OLB assuming Doom gets re-signed. ILB maybe, but it shouldn't be a top priority. I also think McBath and Bruton showed enough that I don't look at S in the first.

that leaves OT, which isn't a bad idea. Harris's durability has to be questioned now, seeing he was hurt when he was drafted and couldn't finish this season. I'd prefer to give Harris one more season before investing a top 15 pick on a RT, but it's conceivable anyway (I'm not a drafnik and don't really pay any attention to prospects until much closer to the draft).

The most likely position to be drafted imo is CB or DL. both tend to represent good value in the 10-12 range, and both are areas of need. our secondary needs to get younger, our DL needs to get better. but if the board shakes out so that a QB they've given a top 5 grade slips, then you do it. I wouldn't give extra assets to move up for a QB, but I have no problems taking one in the first (even with Cutler instead of Ngata still ringing bitterly in my ears).

bcbronc
12-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't like Orton. but he isn't a bad QB for now while we're searching for our next mainstay, but I do think if you're going to bring him back you need to consider what his value is.

If he wants a long term deal, it better be more than reasonable, and back ended to be cap friendly. If he wants big time money, see ya. If he just wants to stay in Denver, you sign him to a reasonable offer.

He is not the kind of QB you pay big bucks for, but he would be ideal for bringing a young guy along, like Brandstater.

And please God say no to Jimmy Clownsen.

I see it the other way. better to have it a heavily front-loaded contract. it's a pretty safe bet that if Orton is re-signed he'll be the starter for at least next year, if not the next couple. but (hopefully) by then Orton will have been surpassed on the depth chart.

put the quaranteed money in the first two years of a deal and then when there is a better option it's easy to cut ties or renegotiate a deal appropriate for a veteran back-up.

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I see it the other way. better to have it a heavily front-loaded contract. it's a pretty safe bet that if Orton is re-signed he'll be the starter for at least next year, if not the next couple. but (hopefully) by then Orton will have been surpassed on the depth chart.

put the quaranteed money in the first two years of a deal and then when there is a better option it's easy to cut ties or renegotiate a deal appropriate for a veteran back-up.

Yea, I stated it like the back end of his contract would be cap friendly, meaning it would be loaded at the front.

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
NOOOOOooooooo :eek:

-----

Yes!!

He's officially my most hated starting QB Denver has had since I've been a fan which was Elway's rookie year.

broncophan
12-29-2009, 08:47 PM

lol.....nothing like "hopeing" your team's starting qb gets surpassed on the depth chart..:D;)

broncophan
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes!!

He's officially my most hated starting QB Denver has had since I've been a fan which was Elway's rookie year.

even Hugh Millen?????.....I think he started for a while...:confused:

Day1BroncoFan
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I think we give Orton another year. If he doesn't step up then we look elsewhere or maybe by then Brandstater will be ready.

I don't think there is a lot of choices here and since Orton is already here why pick up another QB through FA or some other means.

Simms has to go. :nod:

broncophan
12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I think we give Orton another year. If he doesn't step up then we look elsewhere or maybe by then Brandstater will be ready.

I don't think there is a lot of choices here and since Orton is already here why pick up another QB through FA or some other means.

Simms has to go. :nod:

Yea....the contract we signed Simms to is a :confused:..........

Day1BroncoFan
12-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Yea....the contract we signed Simms to is a :confused:..........

Did we sign him to a 6 mil 2 year contract or is there something I don't know about?
I mean, that is bad enough but I hope it isn't worse. :shocked:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Orton has played very well learning a complicated system on the go with a dislocated finger, sprained ankle and poor line play - let's not forget an extremely inconsistent running game. Oh yeah and he's got a defense that plays lights out in big games and then gets full of themselves and ****s around.

A playcaller that thinks a playbook full of screens is the holy bible and constant media scrutiny.

Given what kyle orton does under these circumstances I think it's safe to say Quarterback is not our weakness at the moment. I know we've seen no true representative of what Brandstater could be but he's got perfect size and I just have a really good gut feeling about the kid.

So, that said, We need some new guards, a young center and a power back for short yardage situations who can trick the D on play action or pound it in between the tackles while moreno makes explosive plays on first and second down.

Quarterback is not our problem if you ask me, and as far as personnel we have less weaknesses than alot of squads.

cuzz4169
12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Jimmy Clausen is the second coming of jay cutler he is a BIG DOUCHEBAG!!! there were a lot of talk that teammates didnt like him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Jimmy Clausen is the second coming of jay cutler he is a BIG DOUCHEBAG!!! there were a lot of talk that teammates didnt like him.

Wow, I'm actually kinda surprised to hear that. Then again look on any roster usually the biggest ******* is the quarterback and the most respectful and humble are the dt's and de's. What an odd sport it is.

cuzz4169
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Wow, I'm actually kinda surprised to hear that. Then again look on any roster usually the biggest ******* is the quarterback and the most respectful and humble are the dt's and de's. What an odd sport it is.

Only reason I know this is because we have a Notre Dame high school where i live..I work for the head football coach and i know his son. They go to all the notre dame camps and have connections because they are wealthy but anyways. They told me hes a douchebag and teammates didnt like him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Only reason I know this is because we have a Notre Dame high school where i live..I work for the head football coach and i know his son. They go to all the notre dame camps and have connections because they are wealthy but anyways. They told me hes a douchebag and teammates didnt like him.

Well that's unfortunate for the team that decides he'll be their future. He'll probably hold out for more money and talk alot of shit if that's true.

Buff
12-30-2009, 12:33 AM
I think we can sign Orton short term for a good price. He seems to like the opportunity he has here and I feel he got better as the year went on despite the line play.

Sign him for a few more seasons, groom Brandstater, and shore up that O-line!

I think the only other for sure contracts we need are Marshall and Doom. They are the new faces of the Offense and Defense.

I agree that we keep him around for a good price--mostly due to the lack of a better option... I don't think there are any free agents who would be able to step in and significantly improve that position. Any rookie will need to be brought along slowly.

But I think he has regressed as the year has progressed, not gotten better.

Also, he has GOT to work on his mobility. I'm not sure what he can do at this stage of his career. But I hope he emphasizes speed and mobility in his off season workout regimen. It's just painful to watch him when the pocket breaks down.

topscribe
12-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree that we keep him around for a good price--mostly due to the lack of a better option... I don't think there are any free agents who would be able to step in and significantly improve that position. Any rookie will need to be brought along slowly.

But I think he has regressed as the year has progressed, not gotten better.

Also, he has GOT to work on his mobility. I'm not sure what he can do at this stage of his career. But I hope he emphasizes speed and mobility in his off season workout regimen. It's just painful to watch him when the pocket breaks down.

I'm sure it's painful for him, too . . .

-----

Ziggy
12-30-2009, 12:42 AM
D. None of the above: Sign Orton to a 1 year deal and draft Sam Bradford.

Buff
12-30-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm sure it's painful for him, too . . .

-----

Well maybe that will serve as an incentive for him to evade the pass rush once in a while next year.

SM19
12-30-2009, 12:44 AM
We shouldn't be looking at this from the perspective of what's most likely to help us next year. If we can resign Orton at a fair price, for a short term, understanding that he's only here until we can get someone better, then do it. But if we'd have to overpay for him, I'd rather save our money and suffer through a losing season next year with Simms and/or whatever rookie we draft.

I don't quite understand the poll options though. Are we assuming Clausen is the only quarterback who won't be a "late pick"?

ursamajor
12-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Okay, we've heard McDaniels talk about losing the line of scrimmage with the offensive line. We know we need defensive linemen to go with what we have already, and BTW, our Dline is wearing down, but they have played above their heads all year imo. I have nothing but applause for them.

So we know we need help in the trenches, and lets understand that whether through FAgency or draft, those areas will be addressed.

But still, the most important position on the field is QB. And the question I keep asking myself is, if I were in McDs position, what do I do?

I believe there are a number of different scenarios that can play themselves out during the offseason. The Broncos will need to have multiple scenarios thought through in order to get better at the position.

Keep Orton, focus on the center and LG positions while grooming Brandstater and perhaps another raw late draft pick QB?

And if you do keep Orton, how long do you sign him for? Certainly not 5 or 6 yrs.

What happens, if Orton asks for a specific amount of money, and the Broncos balk? What happens, if Orton goes somewhere else? What happens if Orton tries to force us into franchising him? We still have BMarsh, Doom and Kuper to sign.

Orton is kind of being overlooked from a fan standpoint, we all are wondering what happens if Marshall wants the big payday. I dont believe Marshall likes this offense. But what happens if some other team is whispering sweet nothings at Orton? What if someone tries to woo him away?

Its not that I love Orton, but I just dont like the alternatives.........unless........

Is there a chance the Broncos make a play for Jimmy Clausen? All logic would say no initially.

But I believe there are two teams that are SUPER interested in Clausen: The Broncos and the Browns.

Holmgren may bring in Weis as an OC for the Browns, and then go get Clausen cause he already knows the offense.

But its the same offense the Broncos run.

Have you seen Clausen play? Id take him in a heartbeat.

Hes mobile. Smart. Poised. A leader. Durable. Strong armed. Makes good decisions. Quick release, pretty much a 3/4 release. Most of all, he gets rid of the ball quickly with quick decisions. Very decisive. That will keep him on his feet in this league.

If we dont sign Orton, will Denver be wise to move up in the draft? We already have a great LT to protect him.

If we lose Orton, who will play under center in Denver? Brandstater? Simms?(Oh Lord)

Jason Campbell? Pennington? Tavaris Jackson? Troy Smith?

I dont like Bradford for this team. His arm doesnt look that strong to me and he hasnt played much under center. I havent seen alot of him though.

Should we keep Orton?

That will be the million dollar offseason question.

Cause without him, the alternatives are, simply put.......scary.

Except Clausen.

Watch the whole thing. He makes every throw.
Check out the throw at 4:13

BTW.....anything familiar you see? Yep. Its our offense. Only watch Clausen run it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clausen was getting rid of the ball quickly, but the worst defense in the history of the NFL is a million times better than Hawaii's. That was disgusting.

I wasnt impressed with Clausen in HS, Im still not that impressed with him. His deep ball hangs too much. You can get away with that in College. Not in the Pros.

ursamajor
12-30-2009, 01:53 AM
I cant remember the Kid's name-I think he is a freshman. The QB for SMU. That Kid is going to be a monster.

broncophan
12-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Did we sign him to a 6 mil 2 year contract or is there something I don't know about?
I mean, that is bad enough but I hope it isn't worse. :shocked:

I think that was it......:confused:

SOCALORADO.
12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I cant remember the Kid's name-I think he is a freshman. The QB for SMU. That Kid is going to be a monster.

Kyle Padron. Hes just a freshman. And yeah, hes gonna be really good.
Shoot, he already is really good!!!

I also dont understand the poll. This is a heavy QB class, and the Qb situation can be addressed without having to draft "jimmy" Clausen.
Waay overrated as a QB, and not only do i think he'll be there at # 10, i think Clausen makes it to MIN at the end of the 1st round.
Really this combine all comes down to if Mallett declares which many think he will if he has a good bowl game, and if Sam Bradford goes to the combine. If Bradford looks good, he will be taken high, but if Mallett goes to the combine, i think he will be the highest rated QB. Hes just a physical freak.
The whole Weis/MCD connection is waaay overrated.
Actually, a healthy Bradford fits the current offense better than Clausen ever could. He has a better arm, better accuracy, is smarter, makes better decisions, has had much more success, and isnt a moron off the field.

Superchop 7
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
A+ for mechanics.

Very fluid, great release, good arm strength and accuracy, very polished for a young kid.

weazel
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
It all depends on how much money he commands. If it's a lot, use someone else. Paying him a ton of money and missing the playoffs again is absurd.

underrated29
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
that pass at 4:20 was incredible. Thats what I want ORton to do, but he wont. Throw the ball before the WR is open.

On that play the wr was double covered, but the QB threw the ball to the outside end of the endzone and guess what by the time the wr made his break the ball was there and it was a TD.

Orton waits for people to get open, then he passes the ball. Thats why imo we are so unsuccessful in short yardage or when teams drop 8 or play zone.....Orton needs to see an open wr. He struggles when he has to make a timing throw or fit it in a small box on the move.

This qb looked good at that. I dont know what round he is projected to go. Infact, the only QB i have heard solid evaluations about is Sam Bradford. I dont know what a mallett is. And only seen a 1/2 clip of highlight on him. But i would go with the thought of signing orton for a year and draft bradford or mallett--if he is good. Lets get ourselves a top 10 QB now and build the lines around him later in the draft and next year.......

Think about this- How many games did we lose by like 7 pts or less this year....Several, and several more that came down to the wire. We were really only blown out a couple times. Had we scored more points in the beginning of those blowouts the outcome might have been different. The defense kept us in more games....lets get a top QB to keep us in games, every game.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm for resigning Orton if a better QB isn't available but nothing long term.

topscribe
12-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm for resigning Orton if a better QB isn't available but nothing long term.

Considering that about the only QB in whose instance a better one doesn't
exist is Peyton Manning, I believe that's true of about any of them, isn't it? :)

-----

broken12
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
i just hope its not bradford! reminds me of chris chandlerlier

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2009, 02:38 PM
This is a heavy QB class, and the Qb situation can be addressed without having to draft "jimmy" Clausen.

How is this a heavy QB class? The best QB with pro potential didn't even declare this year in Locker, and the majority of the rest of the class are all QB's that play in gimmick spread offenses suitable for college and usually don't translate to the NFL well.

I've actually been hearing this is not a very good QB class at all, and could be one of the worst in some time.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
i just hope its not bradford! reminds me of chris chandlerlier

Sam Bradford = spread offense QB that makes all his audibles and reads, has a big arm, can make every throw on the field with ease, has good mobility and great awareness. He even called his own plays a good majority of his career. Would have been the #1 QB taken if he came out last year.

Chris Chandler = play action game managing QB that is very limited on his throws, doesn't move well at all, is a game managing QB that has no special dimension.

The 2 QB's couldn't be more different.