PDA

View Full Version : Who is this Phillip Merling guy?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-16-2008, 11:03 AM
OK, so I've seen a few mocks lately w/ us taking Phillip Merling. I know he's a very good DE out fo Clemson who played DT as a sophomore, but what about him has him rising the draft charts? NFL Network just did a rundown of the AFC West and selected him for Denver as well.

Anyone? Anyone?

BOSSHOGG30
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I think the people that have him going to Denver are on crack... he is probably better suited in a 3-4 defense... but hey... I thought the same thing about Jarvis Moss....shows you what I know. He is a good run defender... still needs to improve on getting to the QB. This is probably why mocks have Denver selecting him because everyone and their grandma knows we can't stop the run.

BOSSHOGG30
02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
This is what Scout Inc says about him:

Strengths: Has above-average initial quickness for size and can beat blockers to the point of attack. Moves well laterally and keeps head up when scraping down the line of scrimmage. Takes excellent pursuit angles, plays with a good motor and has above-average range. Has problems shedding bocks when lets blockers lock onto frame but plays with a mean streak and flashes a powerful punch. Wraps up upon contact and is reliable open field tackler that can deliver the big hit. Uses hands to protect legs, shows good balance and can fight over cut blocks though is somewhat inconsistent in this area. Flashes the ability to turn the corner and is a relentless pass rusher. Athletic enough to redirect inside after starting outside and flashes an effective swim move. Stays alert, has long arms and gets hands up when isn?t going to get to the quarterback. Has experience lining up at defensive tackle, has experience dropping into coverage and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Has good size for a defensive end but stands up too much, plays with a narrow base and gets driven back at times. Doesn?t have great instincts and takes too long to locate the ball at times. Lacks elite closing speed for an end and is going to have a harder time turning the corner at the NFL level. Relies on quickness and athletic ability too much and isn?t much of a bull rusher at this point. Overaggressive, gets caught too far upfield and is vulnerable to delayed handoffs. Turns shoulders and creates running lanes too much. Doesn?t always rush outside in and lets quarterbacks break contain too much.

Overall: Merling doesn?t have the speed of a dominant edge rusher or the size of an every-down defensive tackle. However, he?s big enough to develop into an effective run stuffer at end and quick enough to get to the passer when lined up at defensive tackle so he projects as a second round pick.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Charles Davis at NFL Network said he had a knack for blowing up OTs, and even if he doesn't get to the QB, he gets himself in the backfield to gum up the works...not his exact words.

If he is truly a 2nd rounder, he sounds great for us. Match him w/ Crowder on run downs...slide him inside on pass downs to make room for Elvis and Moss. Not sure about #12 overall though.

BOSSHOGG30
02-16-2008, 12:47 PM
He shouldn't make it to the 2nd round, but you never know. He is one of the bigger DE's in the draft so that will help his stock. I don't see why Denver would go DE in the first round or two... that would be very surprising.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-16-2008, 01:29 PM
He shouldn't make it to the 2nd round, but you never know. He is one of the bigger DE's in the draft so that will help his stock. I don't see why Denver would go DE in the first round or two... that would be very surprising.

It'd pretty much state they're giving up on Moss more or less. We have Crowder who can groom into a good DE; Moss has potential and Dumervil is another sack artist.

Heck, we can spend a mid-round pick on a guy if we need a run stopping DE. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I definitely don't see DE as a huge need either, but if it can help the run D AND the pass rush on 3rd down, then I can't say I'd be too upset if we landed a guy like this.

Scarface
02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
OK, so I've seen a few mocks lately w/ us taking Phillip Merling. I know he's a very good DE out fo Clemson who played DT as a sophomore, but what about him has him rising the draft charts? NFL Network just did a rundown of the AFC West and selected him for Denver as well.

Anyone? Anyone?

Mayock has him rated as his #3 DE even though he says he's probably the best all around DE in the draft. Scott Wright compared him to Trevor Pryce.

Watchthemiddle
02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Mayock has him rated as his #3 DE even though he says he's probably the best all around DE in the draft. Scott Wright compared him to Trevor Pryce.

Not a bad comparison.

atwater27
02-17-2008, 03:18 AM
He could be a guy who plays both DT and DT. Depending on who is available, I wouldn't mind us picking him. I just get the feeeling we should trade down a few if we have him in our sights.

Simple Jaded
02-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Hell! Jimmy Wilkerson is good against the run, and there is numerous others just like him in free agency if all you want is a DE that's good against the run.

Why waste a No1 pick on a Jimmy Wilkerson?

You can have him for the veteran minimum......