PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Need To Get Tough

WARHORSE
02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
:salute:Broncos need to get tough up front
By Mike Klis
Denver Post (mklis@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Broncos need to get tough up front)
Article Last Updated: 02/16/2008 12:48:30 AM MST

An NFL television analyst was asked about the Broncos.
"What the Broncos need to do is they have to go get some men," he said.
The definition of a football man is different from the worldly definition. Football men play on the line of scrimmage, exchange bruising collisions in the trenches, on every play.
They are the manliest of men.
"Name one stud the Broncos had up front this year," the analyst said.
Let's see. Tom Nalen was injured. Does he count? Matt Lepsis is now retired. Elvis Dumervil can rush the passer, but at 250 pounds, he's more of an outside linebacker in a three-point stance. Montrae Holland is strong. They don't make guards much stronger than Montrae . . .
"You took too long," the analyst said.
The first-round AFC playoff game between the San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans featured six Pro Bowl players up front. The Broncos haven't had an offensive lineman make the Pro Bowl since Nalen in 2003 or defensive lineman since Trevor Pryce in 2002.
The most pivotal segment to the Broncos' 2008 season occurs during these next three weeks. Having gone 16-16 while missing the playoffs the past two seasons, the Broncos will tinker with status quo.
The trading and free-agency period opens at 10 p.m. MST Feb. 28. The opportunity to secure impact players will pretty much close a week later. The draft isn't until late April, but almost all the Broncos' picks, with the exception of the No. 12 selection, are about the future.
For the 2008 season, the time is now.
Top priority this offseason must be fortifying the front.
On offense, expect the Broncos to bring in at least one tackle, maybe two. Decisions are trickier on the defensive front after the Broncos allocated 75 percent of last year's draft to their defensive line. Expect at least one more veteran defensive tackle, one veteran end, and maybe two of each.
But nothing would bolster the Broncos' defensive line in 2008 more than if Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas mature from NFL kids to men.
"The young guys on that D-line have to develop," Broncos safety John Lynch said. "That's a key to me. Everyone who ever won a championship in this game, you've got to be able to rush the quarterback. That's been a struggle for us for a long time. You thought last year when we brought in 17 guys, just by strength in numbers we would get it. But at the end we let those young guys play and I think that was important. I think a huge part of the success of the Broncos' organization is: "How fast can those young guys develop and become big-time players?"
Lynch's comment turned prophetic, as it came two days before Super Bowl XLII, when a ferocious pass rush became the primary reason the New York Giants stunned the otherwise more offensively talented New England Patriots.
Broncos coach Mike Shanahan and his staff will spend these next two weeks finalizing their offseason plan. Step one is determining which of the current players must go.
Harsh decisions are possible for the likes of receiver Javon Walker, running back Travis Henry and outside linebacker Ian Gold. All are expected to be offered for trade, but any deal must be consummated quickly.
Henry's $6 million option bonus is due Feb. 29. Walker has a $5.4 million bonus due March 4. Gold has a $500,000 bonus due March 3.
Even Lynch's agonizing decision on whether to retire will be made no later than March 4, when he is due a $1.12 million bonus.
Decisions on these players may create the biggest headlines, but they won't carry the greatest importance on the Broncos' chances of returning to the postseason. The Broncos have acquired more than their share of headliners in the past two years. What they need for 2008 are a few more good men.

Hobe
02-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Ya' thats what we need, the manliest of men! Good post WH.

Zimmerman never talk to the press, so you can guess what he was thinking from the way he played. He played like a manly man.

Npba900
02-16-2008, 12:43 PM
That NFL Analyst, needs to understand that with the exception of acquiring a LT via FA to protect Cutler's blind-side, and perhaps the FA DT from Greenbay...... Denver needs to look for mean manly men in the "DRAFT" in 2008 and 2009 to find the answers to their woes at D-line and at Line backer!!

Broncolingus
02-16-2008, 12:50 PM
If by 'manly' that means a more physical presence then I 100% agree...that's been a missing component for years now it seems, and something that must change for Denver to be successful in the postseason.

Npba900
02-16-2008, 01:07 PM
If by 'manly' that means a more physical presence then I 100% agree...that's been a missing component for years now it seems, and something that must change for Denver to be successful in the postseason.

Yep I agree! I recall during training camp last season, Gradishar was there on a few occassions and came a way with the comments of how much harder and intense training camp was when he was a player compared to what he saw the current Broncos training camp regimen. "CLUB MED" anyone???

shank
02-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Yep I agree! I recall during training camp last season, Gradishar was there on a few occassions and came a way with the comments of how much harder and intense training camp was when he was a player compared to what he saw the current Broncos training camp regimen. "CLUB MED" anyone???

definitley. players today are so pampered. even the guys that are "tough guys" today probably wouldn't last a single game without crying in the 70s.

'don't tackle like that'

'hey! don't touch the qb! what are you thinking?'

you're tired? ok, come over to the bench, get a blanket, some oxygen, and pierre will make you a latte...

Bronco9798
02-16-2008, 01:47 PM
It don't take toughness to execute. The 97/98 Broncos executed and just played good football. The only real tough physical guy was Romo. There was a lot of finesse with those teams, same as the Rams Championship team.

shank
02-16-2008, 01:51 PM
It don't take toughness to execute. The 97/98 Broncos executed and just played good football. The only real tough physical guy was Romo. There was a lot of finesse with those teams, same as the Rams Championship team.

i agree with you, but it really seems like our team lacks mental toughness. how many times this season did people question the teams motivation or effort this season? i think it's really more a matter of heart than toughness, but they often go hand in hand.

ChampWJ
02-16-2008, 04:00 PM
It might be just me, but I think to say we need to get more "manly men" is a total joke. How about we get some good football players?

dogfish
02-16-2008, 04:02 PM

atwater, stink, howard griffith, eddie mac, nalen. . . .

Bronco9798
02-16-2008, 04:06 PM

Sure, there were a few. I was just saying, those teams weren't known for toughness overall as a team. They had some tough guys, and some good hitters, but overall those teams will never be known as a tough physical teams.

We finessed people more then we overpowered them. It was a well perfected team that executed with precision. Those teams never resembled teams like the 85 Bears. Just saying.................

dogfish
02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Sure, there were a few. I was just saying, those teams weren't known for toughness overall as a team. They had some tough guys, and some good hitters, but overall those teams will never be known as a tough physical teams.

We finessed people more then we overpowered them. It was a well perfected team that executed with precision. Those teams never resembled teams like the 85 Bears. Just saying.................

i agree that they weren't overpowering teams, and they were definitely more of a high-scoring squad than a defensive power-- and they obviously weren't the biggest team physically. . . . but they still had a bunch of hard-nosed dudes-- they were way tougher, both physically and mentally, than the sorry-ass pansy squads we've run out there the last few years. . . our past two teams have been freakin' SOFT, and i hate it. . . . . :mad:

Bronco9798
02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
i agree that they weren't overpowering teams, and they were definitely more of a high-scoring squad than a defensive power-- and they obviously weren't the biggest team physically. . . . but they still had a bunch of hard-nosed dudes-- they were way tougher, both physically and mentally, than the sorry-ass pansy squads we've run out there the last few years. . . our past two teams have been freakin' SOFT, and i hate it. . . . . :mad:

The past few years resembles mediocrity at it's best.

nevcraw
02-16-2008, 04:15 PM

That team was loaded with tough, physical guys..
Romo was just more overt about it in self promotional kind away. The only thing that was remotly close to finesse was the way they flawlessly executed the zone blocking scheme, but even that is stretch. Anything that utlizes cut blocking as common practice is not really finesse like.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM

...Zim, Habib, Neil Smith...

Scarface
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Don't be fooled. The 97-98 teams were tough as hell and punished people with the running game. When I think finesse I think early 90's Bills. The Broncos didn't let anyone outphysical them even though the O-Line was small compared with the D-Lines they faced.

Broncolingus
02-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I think Offensive Line for the SB teams were probably the one most physical (not the 'largest' per sey) units in team history...those guys CONTROLLED practically EVERY d-line they went against and were rarely pushed back for an entire game.

Bronco's most physical Defensive Line period is even easier to call - 70s with the Orange Crush.

broncosfanscott
02-16-2008, 09:17 PM
As it has be stated before........we need an identity on defense.

On the other hand with a better O-line the defense won't be on the field too much. Hopefully after the draft we will be closer to solving both lines.

mclark
02-17-2008, 12:26 AM
We need men in the offensive and the defensive line. I have to agree.

mclark
02-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't be fooled. The 97-98 teams were tough as hell and punished people with the running game. When I think finesse I think early 90's Bills. The Broncos didn't let anyone outphysical them even though the O-Line was small compared with the D-Lines they faced.

Nobody pushed us around. We pushed other teams around. Green Bay was going to manhandle us with their size. But we manhandled them.

You can be smaller if you play meaner. If every guy on our offensive line played with the mentality of Tom Nalen, we'd be a nasty offensive line.

dogfish
02-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Nobody pushed us around. We pushed other teams around. Green Bay was going to manhandle us with their size. But we manhandled them.

You can be smaller if you play meaner. If every guy on our offensive line played with the mentality of Tom Nalen, we'd be a nasty offensive line.

and now, we get pushed around by the freakin' san diego super sparklers. . . . :mad:

:frusty:

Watchthemiddle
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM

Don't forget Zim. He is not going into the HOF for nothing. Not too many people know this about him, but his work ethic on and off the field were second to none.

I heard Alfred Williams talking about him the other day. No one wanted to go up against Zim...whether it be in a game or practice.

Throw in Nalen, Jones, and Shlereth and that line was sick. Underrated, undersized line that were beasts.

They set the tone for the rest of the team. Not dirty players, but worked well as a unit and bullied opposing teams d-lines.

Boy do I miss those days.

Stargazer
02-17-2008, 03:47 AM
I'd like to see more talent in Denver.

Npba900
02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Point is here, why did the Broncos QUIT on so many games they played in 2007? Was it due to lack of intensity and heart (that started in training camp) or was it due to a covert rebellion b/c the team lost faith and did not believe in the coaches schemes on both the Offensive and Defensive side of the ball?

topscribe
02-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Traylor, Perry, TD . . .

-----

Lonestar
02-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Don't forget Zim. He is not going into the HOF for nothing. Not too many people know this about him, but his work ethic on and off the field were second to none.

I heard Alfred Williams talking about him the other day. No one wanted to go up against Zim...whether it be in a game or practice.

Throw in Nalen, Jones, and Shlereth and that line was sick. Underrated, undersized line that were beasts.

They set the tone for the rest of the team. Not dirty players, but worked well as a unit and bullied opposing teams d-lines.

Boy do I miss those days.

One thing you have to remember at the time we were just about the only team to run the ZBS. So most teams either had never seen it or had limited exposure to it..

Now there are at least 5-6 teams doing it to some degree so DC have plenty of tape on it and alot have made adjustments on how to defeat it or limit it..

We never used to have an issue inside the 20. Now we do what is the reason for that.. The Dc are willing to give space and then inside the 20 toughen up?

Or is it we just do not have the beef to sustain 15 play drives..

I'm open for suggestions here I know part of this last years problem was no continuity on the OLINE.. But we have not had that completive edge inside the 5 for nigh on a decade..

gobroncsnv
02-18-2008, 12:10 AM
You can't factor out the lack of continuity. We don't have the talent that we once had, by any means. But as critical as we ALL know that line play is, the only other place where 5 guys HAVE to be on the same page like the Oline is in hoops (or USED to be, anyway). Our guys last year had to be reintroduced because of the revolving door we had going on. For the circumstances, they were pretty good.
THAT said, we still need some better players. We have a good quarterback to protect, and a top 10 run game is cool, but I want us to be top 3 in that. Will just make Jay that much better. We need to OWN the LOS to have the success we used to have.

Scarface
02-18-2008, 03:22 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/Gary%20Zimmerman/1782847.jpg

EddyMac87
02-18-2008, 04:23 AM
We need to get another stud at left tackle to protect Cutlers blind side.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Traylor, Perry, TD . . .

-----

Perry wa awful. He cost us a chance at 3 straight.

Medford Bronco
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Traylor, Perry, TD . . .

-----

tralor and TD yes

but Michael Dean Perry was a big stiff top

he was long gone before we won Super bowls.
How about a young Trevor Pryce :salute:

MOtorboat
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
tralor and TD yes

but Michael Dean Perry was a big stiff top

he was long gone before we won Super bowls.
How about a young Trevor Pryce :salute:

Not to be argumentative, but Perry started nine games in the first Super Bowl season. I can't remember who started in the Super Bowl, but didn't he play?

nevcraw
02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Not to be argumentative, but Perry started nine games in the first Super Bowl season. I can't remember who started in the Super Bowl, but didn't he play?

Mmmmm. I though they dumped him after 96.

MOtorboat
02-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Mmmmm. I though they dumped him after 96.

No, we kept him 'til 97...but I just looked at his game logs...he played in 10 of our games, then played for KC for the last game of the season. That's when we must have cut him.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Shoulda cut him the second he got the too many men on the field penalty vs jacksonville...on 4th down...when they were gonna punt. But I'm not bitter.

claymore
02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Shoulda cut him the second he got the too many men on the field penalty vs jacksonville...on 4th down...when they were gonna punt. But I'm not bitter.
I was thinking the exact same thing. SOB. Im still mad about that.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. SOB. Im still mad about that.

You have no idea. There is still a hole in my parent's basement wall about the size of my fist from that debacle.

claymore
02-18-2008, 11:17 AM
You have no idea. There is still a hole in my parent's basement wall about the size of my fist from that debacle.That was one of the most painful losses I can remember.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 11:18 AM
I wanted to go thru my TV and KILL MDPerry.

NightTrainLayne
02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
If I ever see Michael Dean Perry in person I'm gonna punch him in the face. It might be the last thing I accomplish on this earth, but it'll be worth it.

Medford Bronco
02-18-2008, 11:24 AM

I thought Denver cut him,
I was wrong then and do apoligize

They have Alfred Williams, Trevor Pryce and Neil Smith on the line with Keith Traylor filling in, from what I can remember:confused:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
If I ever see Michael Dean Perry in person I'm gonna punch him in the face. It might be the last thing I accomplish on this earth, but it'll be worth it.

If I see anything about this on the news, I will post your bail...or donate money to the charity of your choice in your memory.

MOtorboat
02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
That sucked, but the phantom PI at the beginning of the game, when we were pretty much in control, is what gets my blood boiling.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
That sucked, but the phantom PI at the beginning of the game, when we were pretty much in control, is what gets my blood boiling.

but at least that was out of our control. All MDP had to do was jog. Not even run...just anything quicker than his walk off the field.

SoCalBronco
02-18-2008, 11:55 AM

THAT attitude was pure Alex Gibbs. That SOB looked like a cross between Lombardy & Popey with a serious potty mouth on the sideline.
"That's why I want Him CUT! CUT the Mother F______ DOWN!!"

Tell you this much. No Alex Gibbs, No Superbowl victories in 97 & 98.

roomemp
02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I thought Denver cut him,
I was wrong then and do apoligize

They have Alfred Williams, Trevor Pryce and Neil Smith on the line with Keith Traylor filling in, from what I can remember:confused:

I thought Perry was cut after training camp the first Super Bowl year.

I am pretty sure Maa Tanuvasa started at DT throughout the whole year and SB