PDA

View Full Version : Communication Sparks Comeback

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9710

PHILADELPHIA -- The first half of Sunday's 30-27 loss at Lincoln Financial Field served as the Broncos' 30-minute warning.

With a 10-win team on the opposing sideline and a 13-point deficit on the scoreboard, the visitors used their 12-minute halftime hiatus to shift their battle with the Eagles from lopsided to long-standing.

Trailing 20-7 at the break, Denver's comeback had little to do with making adjustments and plenty to do with patching up its base of communication.

"It was just one of those situations where we tried to regroup as a defense," captain Mario Haggan said. "We told ourselves that it was all or nothing today and we just had to keep fighting. In the first half, we gave up some things that we shouldn't have."

After snatching a turnover on the Eagles' opening drive via an Elvis Dumervil forced fumble, the Broncos allowed points on each of their next four defensive stands. Most glaring in that sequence was a 47-yard touchdown catch by TE Brent Celek, with no white jerseys in sight.

Once inside the locker room, Darrell Reid said the focus was on burying those breakdowns and buying in to the original gameplan.

"Once we settled into the game, there were no adjustments at halftime at all," Reid said. "It was just us settling into the game. It's unfortunate that it took us so long to settle in."

A key element to that sense of settlement was providing pressure on Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. After escaping the first half with few scars beyond Dumervil's 13-yard sack-and-forced-fumble combo, McNabb's second pass of the second half was intercepted by Champ Bailey in Eagles' territory.

After that miscue was converted into a 33-yard Matt Prater field goal, McNabb responded, finding wide receiver Jason Avant for a 15-yard touchdown. That score was supported by a touch of awareness on Avant's part. Victim of a deflection by Renaldo Hill, the ball bounced off Avant's fingertips, before he controlled possession and fell backward into the end zone for seven points.

"It was just one of those games for us," said Vonnie Holliday of Avant's acrobatic grab. "We really dug a hole for ourselves early in the game. You've got to admire the way the guys rose together and fought back, giving ourselves a chance to win."

That rise proved to be a quick one. With 3:57 remaining in the third quarter, Philadelphia's lead stood tall at a 27-10 margin. But in a span of three minutes, that 17-point edge was trimmed to a field goal.

After an Eagles three-and-out at their own 1-yard line and a penalty on their punt, Kyle Orton and the offense took advantage of favorable field position at the Philadelphia 25-yard line. Orton completed four consecutive passes to three different receivers, capped by Jabar Gaffney's second touchdown of the game on a 7-yard crossing route.

Special teams then took over the reins of the revival, as Reid delivered a blistering hit on Eagles kick returner Victor Harris' ensuing runback. The ball popped loose and rookie Robert Ayers pounced on it, putting Orton and the offense in line for another score at the Eagles' 16-yard line.

Orton completed another pair of passes for another seven points, with the second landing in the hands of Knowshon Moreno for a 16-yard receiving touchdown. Reid credited Wesley Woodyard with running the 'chip' call to perfection.

"They do a great job every week," Reid said. "He kind of chipped my guy and got me free. I was able to make a play."

The Broncos turned in their share of plays over the game's final 16 minutes, sacking McNabb three times and holding him to 3-of-9 passing for 40 yards. But the third completion proved to be a backbreaker, as his 27-yard connection with rookie Jeremy Maclin set up David Akers' game-winning 28-yard field goal.

While their postseason fate is no longer in their hands, the Broncos' Week 17 home date with the Chiefs can serve multiple purposes. In the eyes of Holliday, growth and togetherness top that list, along with grabbing a win in the process.

"This week's going to be really big for us in terms of what we really want to accomplish as a group," Holliday said. "Continuing to build and grow as a group so that when we get into situations like this at this time of year, we know how to turn it on and keep our foot on the gas."

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Once inside the locker room, Darrell Reid said the focus was on burying those breakdowns and buying in to the original gameplan.

So, does this mean that in the first half, the defensive players were out there doing their own thing, rather than following the original gameplan??????

broncofaninfla
12-28-2009, 03:28 PM

So, does this mean that in the first half, the defensive players were out there doing their own thing, rather than following the original gameplan??????

Makes you wonder huh? I'm surprised our defense was able to suck it up and come make some plays given how ineffective our offense was which kept them on the field longer.

CoachChaz
12-28-2009, 03:35 PM
We score 17 points and people complain because the defense only gives up 20. We score 27 points and people still complain...even though the defense gave up 30

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Makes you wonder huh? I'm surprised our defense was able to suck it up and come make some plays given how ineffective our offense was which kept them on the field longer.

Or, I wonder if Nolen deviated from the original game play in the 1st half, and then went back to it in the 2nd half?

camdisco24
12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Just think how different this season would be if our Offense could turn turnovers into points even just half the times our D created the opportunity.... IMO thats been one of our biggest weaknesses this season. That comeback was amazing yesterday, but just think what could have been if our O could have taken full advantage of what the D set up for them...

Hopefully McD takes note of this because we have some holes to fill to fix this. (O-LINE)
The article shows how much fight our D has, now I want some on the other side of the ball!

NightTrainLayne
12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Or, I wonder if Nolen deviated from the original game play in the 1st half, and then went back to it in the 2nd half?

How would the Defensive Coordinator deviate from his own game-plan?

broncofaninfla
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not happy with how our run defense has weakend down the stretch but I am happy with the defense as a whole for the season. We are a much better team defensivly this season and I really like Nolan as our DC. The defense has pretty much carried this team this season.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2009, 04:25 PM
How would the Defensive Coordinator deviate from his own game-plan?

I ask the question, based on the following from the article I posted.

Was just wondering what others thought this comment meant. I ask if it meant the defensive players were just doing their "own thing" during the first half, rather than buying in to the original gameplan. And then I posted what I did in regards to Nolen, based on a response.