PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat when drafting QB's

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Does college experience really matter when it comes to drafting a NFL QB?

40 seems like the magic #... take a look at QB's with over 40 starts and QB's with under 30 starts in their college careers.

Over 40:
Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler, Cade McNown

Under 30:
Charlie Batch, Michael Vick, Quincy Carter, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, JP Losman, Marques Tuiasosopo

Dean
02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Does college experience really matter when it comes to drafting a NFL QB?

40 seems like the magic #... take a look at QB's with over 40 starts and QB's with under 30 starts in their college careers.

Over 40:
Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler, Cade McNown

Under 30:
Charlie Batch, Michael Vick, Quincy Carter, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, JP Losman, Marques Tuiasosopo

I don't see this as a definite cause and effect situation. Probably the reason that those QB's had over 40 college starts was because they had NFL type ability. More of them went on to succeed in the NFL because of that abiltiy. Experience in a pro-style offense would be a definite plus but personally I don't see it as the number 1 deciding factor.

Lonestar
02-17-2008, 12:50 AM
While I agree with Dean,

I would almost like to think that if they are second string on the college team for a year or more they are most likely going to be backup QB in the pro's.

Do not think I'd invest and number one on one of them.. Especially not a top 10 pick..