PDA

View Full Version : My 2/15/08 Mock...what do you think?

lex
02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Might as well put this out there. Im kind of coming around on the idea of trading down a little bit. Id really like McFadden or Mendenhall but someone pointed out that Charles might be quite serviceable if he were to put on 10 pounds. Ive thought about it and I agree. I think he was just beginning to scratch the surface at Texas and at 6'1", I think he could put on 10 pounds without it really slowing him down that much if at all.

(1)29. RT- Gosder Cherilous (traded #12 to SF for 29th and 39th; 1150 pts for 1200)
(2)39. MLB-Curtis Lofton
(2)42. RB-Jamaal Charles
(3)72. DT-Trevor Laws (traded Foxworth and Walker to Buffalo who has back to back 3rds)
(4)104. S-Wesley Woodyard
(4)113. WR-Jordy Nelson (traded with Minnesota for #140 and 2009 4th)
(4)115. DT-trade for Shaun Rogers with Detroit
(5)129. OLB-Jordan Dizon
(7)202. WR-Paul Raymond
(7)209. CB-Brian Witherspoon

...thoughts?

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Very nice Lex. What do you think the 49ers would want to move up to 12 for? Just curious.... Very good draft for the Broncos if that was to happen.

lex
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Very nice Lex. What do you think the 49ers would want to move up to 12 for? Just curious.... Very good draft for the Broncos if that was to happen.

Either a QB (ie Brohm...and yes I know they signed Hill) or a LT (ie Clady).

Requiem / The Dagda
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I actually like that.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Either a QB (ie Brohm...and yes I know they signed Hill) or a LT (ie Clady).

They might move up for a QB.. that makes sense. I'm not 100% sure if they are ready to give up on Alex Smith, but with Mike Martz being there, they will probably focus on offense.

underrated29
02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
well i really like it. I dont know who quite a few of them are, but i promise we will take a LB and a WR before the 3rd is over. Not sure if those guys are or are not.

Only other thing is (i have yet to read all the reports on jamaal charles) but i dont think he is the type of RB we need. From what i hae read he is more like young and hall. We need another bigboy to push through some guys. So I would take another back there. But all the rest is great!!

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I think we might have a chance to trade with Dallas. McFadden's slock is dropping and Mendenhall's is on the rise. I wonder if McFadden falls to us if Cowboys would be interested in trading up to 12?

lex
02-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I think we might have a chance to trade with Dallas. McFadden's slock is dropping and Mendenhall's is on the rise. I wonder if McFadden falls to us if Cowboys would be interested in trading up to 12?

If thats the case, Id take Cherilous one pick earlier and trade down with Dallas' earlier pick. I really like Lofton and Mayo and would gladly take either in the early 2nd. Id prefer Lofton though. But tradiing the earlier Dallas pick should allow us to move into the 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
If thats the case, Id take Cherilous one pick earlier and trade down with Dallas' earlier pick. I really like Lofton and Mayo and would gladly take either in the early 2nd. Id prefer Mayo though. But tradiing the earlier Dallas pick should allow us to move into the 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

yeah, you put together a solid draft... I like it. Good work, all smart picks... no real reaches... good value

Slick
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Am I a moron for not knowing who Curtis Lofton is? I had to look him up.

Did you use him in your mock because you think Mayo will be gone by then?

I like the draft you put together. Nice work.

I'd love to see a FB somewhere. It's no secret I've got wood for Schmitt, but a comment Dream made in another thread about this team not having use for a FB of that caliber, as much as I hated it, rang true.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
well i really like it. I dont know who quite a few of them are, but i promise we will take a LB and a WR before the 3rd is over. Not sure if those guys are or are not.

Only other thing is (i have yet to read all the reports on jamaal charles) but i dont think he is the type of RB we need. From what i hae read he is more like young and hall. We need another bigboy to push through some guys. So I would take another back there. But all the rest is great!!

I disagree. I think if we needed a hammer, we'd still have Anderson and would be playing Sapp more. Down the stretch last year Charles was Texs' bellcow. He really came on in the second half of the season. He is 6'1 and can run a 10.1 100 meters and during last year did his share of running inside. And in the 2nd he shouldnt hurt too much. Long speed wise he might be the fastest player in the draft too.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

I'd love to see a FB somewhere. It's no secret I've got wood for Schmitt, but a comment Dream made in another thread about this team not having use for a FB of that caliber, as much as I hated it, rang true.

Im a Florida Gator fan so Im actually a little more familiar with Mayo. I know he really came on this year and I like him as well but Id rather take Lofton because my sense is that he has been playing at that level longer than Mayo. If Lofton was gone by the time we picked there, Id take Mayo.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM

If were going for a FB, the best blocking FB might be Cox out of Georgia Tech and he can be had in the 7th, most likely. McAnderson is also a candidate as a FB...even though weve kind of been there and done that with Sapp who is similar.

Slick
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
If were going for a FB, the best blocking FB might be Cox out of Georgia Tech and he can be had in the 7th, most likely. McAnderson is also a candidate as a FB...even though weve kind of been there and done that with Sapp who is similar.

I think this running game would benefit with a true headknocker in the backfield to go along with Graham( I say that because I thought he was as good a run blocker as any of our lineman this season). Sure wouldn't hurt with pass protection either, and might allow Graham to get out on more routes too.

To hell with candidates, I want a FB who can lower the boom. A nasty sob. Just like I like my MLB's.

Get a true FB or don't even bother. Stick with the 2 TE sets if that's the case.

Edit: I saw more SEC ball than anything this year, so I'm at least familiar with Mayo too. Thanks for taking the time Lex.

underrated29
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
What was tatum? 5'11 210? So this guy is an inch taller less weight. Maybe faster, but we saw how well tatum did here with an extra 10lbs. I just dont see it.

Besides our system predicates running up the middle and breaking tackles. We already have guys with speed and agility to sweep around, and screen, in hall and young.

Mike anderson is gone because we have a faster more powerful back in Henry.

SSpeed kills but not so much with our system.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I think this running game would benefit with a true headknocker in the backfield to go along with Graham. Sure wouldn't hurt with pass protection either, and might allow Graham to get out on more routes too.

To hell with candidates, I want a FB who can lower the boom. A nasty sob. Just like I like my MLB's.

Get a true FB or don't even bother. Stick with the 2 TE sets if that's the case.

Edit: I saw more SEC ball than anything this year, so I'm at least familiar with Mayo too. Thanks for taking the time Lex.

I dont disagree. But consider that Howard Griffith was actually the featured running back while playing at Illinois. In fact, he had/has the NCAA record for most TDs in one game. I mention that because we tend to think he was the purest form of a fullback but even he was a converted running back. But I think his time as a RB enhanced him as a receiving threat. Im perfectly fine with a pure division of labor though...in other words, getting someone who clears a path and thats it.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
What was tatum? 5'11 210? So this guy is an inch taller less weight. Maybe faster, but we saw how well tatum did here with an extra 10lbs. I just dont see it.

Besides our system predicates running up the middle and breaking tackles. We already have guys with speed and agility to sweep around, and screen, in hall and young.

Mike anderson is gone because we have a faster more powerful back in Henry.

SSpeed kills but not so much with our system.

Actually, Anderson walked after 2005. Henry was brought in after 2006. In that other thread, I posed the question about whether or not Charles is more like Portis or Bell and I have a feeling he is closer to Portis in terms of being able to also run in side...especially if he puts on about 10 pounds. There is too much of a speed trade off with the pure banger. Im going with the notion that Charles is more like Portis than Bell though. But if our running game wasnt enhanced by speed, we would have chosen Anderson over Bell. Its just that we need our guy, whoever it is, to be more durable than Bell. If you go by this past season, Charles doesnt look too bad along those lines. Like I said, Texas had him running inside a lot and he had a number of games where he carried the team and logged a lot of carries.

Slick
02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I dont disagree. But consider that Howard Griffith was actually the featured running back while playing at Illinois. In fact, he had/has the NCAA record for most TDs in one game. I mention that because we tend to think he was the purest form of a fullback but even he was a converted running back. But I think his time as a RB enhanced him as a receiving threat. Im perfectly fine with a pure division of labor though...in other words, getting someone who clears a path and thats it.

I didn't know that about Howard. My first memories of him was on the expansion Panthers team when he lead Anthony Johnson on a 1000+yd season. Interesting.

Schmitt could do both. I need to get over it though. He'll be a Charger and blow up our LB'ers for the next 10 years. :rolleyes:

shank
02-15-2008, 03:31 PM
clinton portis was 5'11" 204 as a junior.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
clinton portis was 5'11" 204 as a junior.

Noted. Charles is listed as 6'1 and 205.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
for a good fullback.... look no further than Jehuu Caulrick

Slick
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM

You guys are making me do some homework today. :lol:

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
You guys are making me do some homework today. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAljSBJrOrQ

Here is you some study material... Often big runningbacks make for good blocking full backs... this guy reminds me of Greg Jones.

tubby
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Thighs the size of MO. :beer:

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
That #30 always looks good on runningbacks for some reason.

Slick
02-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Here is you some study material... Often big runningbacks make for good blocking full backs... this guy reminds me of Greg Jones.

I can see why. BEEFCAKE!!!! He got some good blocking, but when he met a defender, he absolutely steamrolled them. 6' 250. Versatile. I like.

lex
02-15-2008, 03:52 PM

The only thing about Caulcrick is that Ive noticed you have him going in the 4th, which is a reasonable assumption based on what Ive seen (although slightly high), is that you could also get someone similar like Brandon McAnderson later. Brandon McAnderson might actually go undrafted and he actually was a fullback.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
The only thing about Caulcrick is that Ive noticed you have him going in the 4th, which is a reasonable assumption based on what Ive seen (although slightly high), is that you could also get someone similar like Brandon McAnderson later. Brandon McAnderson might actually go undrafted and he actually was a fullback.

As long as we get a FB i'm all for it... I think it would really help our running game as well as give us a guy who can stay back and protect Cutler. Caulcrick is raw and will need to get it out of his head that he is a runningback... he has the size and body to be a blocking runningback and that is what he needs to focus on.

Npba900
02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone my name is Juan i'm 10 years old,And I think that the broncos need a RB because Travis Henry is to slow, Travis henry doesn't get that many long runs.

Npba900
02-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey guys can I get a responce!

Slick
02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Hola Juan. Que honda! Te gusta caminar en la playa cuando hay una luna llena?

Slick
02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Can I get a response here? LMAO

I didn't mean to be a thread killer. Carry on. Let's talk about Lex's mock.

lex
02-16-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXKhby8cs8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pm0y9Pol04&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXT9udOTu20&feature=related

lex
02-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Heres a video of Lofton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_x4WvWEJO4

He's a little short but so what.

mclark
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
How about everyone agreeing to limit ourselves to what we know at the moment -- i.e., not assume or project trades that have NOT been made. Once a trade is made, then you can adjust your mock. But trades take two sides in agreement to happen. How can we assume them before they happen?

lex
02-17-2008, 04:59 AM
How about everyone agreeing to limit ourselves to what we know at the moment -- i.e., not assume or project trades that have NOT been made. Once a trade is made, then you can adjust your mock. But trades take two sides in agreement to happen. How can we assume them before they happen?

Its more a realistic suggestion of what they could/should do rather than a prediction.

lex
02-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Might as well put this out there. Im kind of coming around on the idea of trading down a little bit. Id really like McFadden or Mendenhall but someone pointed out that Charles might be quite serviceable if he were to put on 10 pounds. Ive thought about it and I agree. I think he was just beginning to scratch the surface at Texas and at 6'1", I think he could put on 10 pounds without it really slowing him down that much if at all.

(1)29. RT- Gosder Cherilous (traded #12 to SF for 29th and 39th; 1150 pts for 1200)
(2)39. MLB-Curtis Lofton
(2)42. RB-Jamaal Charles
(3)72. DT-Trevor Laws (traded Foxworth and Walker to Buffalo who has back to back 3rds)
(5)129. OLB-Jordan Dizon
(7)202. WR-Paul Raymond

...thoughts?

OK, I decided to rework it. Someone (Boss I believe) asked a very valid question which was why SF would want to move up to 12. In looking at their needs its basically a T, a WR, and DT. So to make it work more I threw in Javon Walker and added in their 6th Rd pick. Also, that meant I wouldnt be able to trade with Buffalo into the third rd since Javon was part of that trade so I traded with Miami, who needs CBs and used a future pick for that. So basically, I have our 2009 3rd and 4th Rd picks going elsewhere but after a season like this past one, this is kind of an all chips to the middle of the table draft. Besides, maybe we could trade someone or trade down to get those back next year. Whatever, the case, I think this scenario is much more agreeable to SF.

(1)29. RT- Gosder Cherilous (traded #12 & Javon Walker to SF for 29th, 39th, and 165th)
(2)39. MLB-Curtis Lofton
(2)42. RB-Jamaal Charles
(3)64. DT-Trevor Laws (traded Foxworth and 2009 3rd)
(5)129. OLB-Jordan Dizon
(6)165.
(7)202. WR-Paul Raymond

I havent decided on 165 yet.

mclark
02-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Its more a realistic suggestion of what they could/should do rather than a prediction.

It's not really realistic until it happens, that's my point. We can speculate, but that doesn't mean much unless it actually happens.

topscribe
02-17-2008, 04:43 PM
As long as we get a FB i'm all for it... I think it would really help our running game as well as give us a guy who can stay back and protect Cutler. Caulcrick is raw and will need to get it out of his head that he is a runningback... he has the size and body to be a blocking runningback and that is what he needs to focus on.

You kind of pushed my button there, Boss.

It just seems to me that, in the backfield, the Broncos need a FB more than anything . . .

-----

lex
02-17-2008, 04:45 PM
It's not really realistic until it happens, that's my point. We can speculate, but that doesn't mean much unless it actually happens.

No, theres a different between "reality" and "realistic". Im talking about the latter, youre talking about the former.