PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith Placed On Reserved/Retired List...

TheSportsGuru
02-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Quite possibly the end for a beloved Bronco.....

http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2008/2/15/101528/569

Rex
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Rod was on TV hear the other night after being inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall Of Fame......
He looked old and like he has gained about 20 lbs.

It is over for Rod.

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Rod was on TV hear the other night after being inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall Of Fame......
He looked old and like he has gained about 20 lbs.

It is over for Rod.

Sounds more like cswil than Rod Smith..........:salute:

BeefStew25
02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Sounds more like cswil than Rod Smith..........:salute:

I wonder how his ACL's are.

SoCalBronco
02-15-2008, 11:18 AM
No surprise here.
THanks to Rod for all the years of hard work and dedication. Second in My heart only to #7.

weazel
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
he may be done on the field, but he will definitely stay on with the team in some sort. If not, I could see him commentating as well.

kind of the end of an era though, When I think of the superbowl teams I think of Elway, Davis, Smith and Mcaffrey... now they are all gone.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
This move means that the team isn't giving up on Rod... he won't count against the cap, but we still hold the rights to him... I don't get why the Broncos still have hope.... I wish Rod well. I know he doesn't want to coach right now, but I think he would make a good one. The Broncos are looking for a receivers coach too... it would be nice it Rod would take it.

CoachChaz
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
What exactly is it that would make Rod a good coach? Not saying he wouldn't be, but what evidence do we have that he'd be anything better than a mentor?

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
What exactly is it that would make Rod a good coach? Not saying he wouldn't be, but what evidence do we have that he'd be anything better than a mentor?

Some of the best coaches are mentors.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 11:49 AM

1) He would be a players coach. The players would look up to him because he actually played and had a successful career.

2) He is smart. He knows the position and job well. He wasn't always the fastest guy, yet he managed to find openings in coverage and make the catch.

3) He is a very hard worker.

4) He loves the Broncos and the Broncos fans. He wants to do what is best for the team.

5) He has leadership skills

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
1) He would be a players coach. The players would look up to him because he actually played and had a successful career.

2) He is smart. He knows the position and job well. He wasn't always the fastest guy, yet he managed to find openings in coverage and make the catch.

3) He is a very hard worker.

4) He loves the Broncos and the Broncos fans. He wants to do what is best for the team.

5) He has leadership skills

Boss, i'm afraid 5 reason are not enough for Coach..............I already know his reply................But how do you know Boss?.....How do you know?

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
It doesn't matter... I'm sure the Broncos would welcome Rod as the wide receivers coach with open arms... Rod already said he doesn't want to coach... so we would be talking about nothing.

slim
02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
He has stated repeatedly that he has no interest in coaching. I guess he could always change his mind though.

I just hope he can walk without pain. Whatever he decides to do, I'm sure he will be successful (hard workers always are).

CoachChaz
02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
My point is that you can have all the knowledge and skill and passion in the world and it doesn't automatically make you a good coach. It goes alot deeper than that. There are aspects to being a solid coach that we really don't know if Rod possesses because we don't know him personally.

Lonestar
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
My point is that you can have all the knowledge and skill and passion in the world and it doesn't automatically make you a good coach. It goes alot deeper than that. There are aspects to being a solid coach that we really don't know if Rod possesses because we don't know him personally.

One would think if mikey thought enough of him to offer him the job, that mikey knows him well enough to make that decision..

He certainly has more of the knowledge of the position than some of the current coaches in football do IMO..

CoachChaz
02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
One would think if mikey thought enough of him to offer him the job, that mikey knows him well enough to make that decision..

He certainly has more of the knowledge of the position than some of the current coaches in football do IMO..

Because Mike does such a great job evaluating coaching talent.

turftoad
02-15-2008, 01:06 PM

Or player talent for that point.

BTW Coach, sweet new avtar. Semper Fi.

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM

I heard Coach was really in the Army.

CoachChaz
02-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I heard Coach was really in the Army.

That comment alone is cause for your lynching.

Dreadnought
02-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I think the best advertisement for Rod as a coach is that he came in as an undrafted F/A, without the remarkable physical tools of a T.O. or Randy Moss, and made himself into one of the All-time greats at his position through guts, study, and hard work. A lot of times a superstar makes a bad coach, maybe because stuff came naturally to them, maybe because they could do things instinctively that most guys need a lot more work and practice at.

Broncolingus
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I think most of us figured his playing days were over coming out of training camp...

He's more than earned a dignified retirement...not just for Bronco fans, but in the league as a whole.

What a great player, role model, and human being.

CoachChaz
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I think the best advertisement for Rod as a coach is that he came in as an undrafted F/A, without the remarkable physical tools of a T.O. or Randy Moss, and made himself into one of the All-time greats at his position through guts, study, and hard work. A lot of times a superstar makes a bad coach, maybe because stuff came naturally to them, maybe because they could do things instinctively that most guys need a lot more work and practice at.

Again...you're equating a good work ethic to quality coaching.

Astrass
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
This move means that the team isn't giving up on Rod... he won't count against the cap, but we still hold the rights to him... I don't get why the Broncos still have hope.... I wish Rod well. I know he doesn't want to coach right now, but I think he would make a good one. The Broncos are looking for a receivers coach too... it would be nice it Rod would take it.

Exactly.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Rod Smith isn't ready to walk away from the NFL despite two hip operations in the last year.

He did, however, provide the Denver Broncos with some salary cap relief by agreeing to go on the reserve/retired list Friday.

"He didn't give it a second thought," agent Tom Mills told The Associated Press. "He was comfortable being put on that list."

Despite the move, Smith's career isn't over, at least not officially. He can still return to the team -- provided he recovers from his latest operation...........

Astrass
02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
What ever the case I wish Rod the best and hope he recovers well. I miss seeing him on the field.

Lonestar
02-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Then I guess the best thing to do is fire him. Or do you trust the clown for just being a water boy?

Benetto
02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
One More Year!!!

Hoshdude7
02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
classiest receiver to play the game

Bronco Bible
02-15-2008, 06:08 PM

I think most receivers need a good mentor(roll model) for a coach, just think about how good B.Marshall can become with a "mentor"

Davii
02-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I hope Rod is able to recover, one of the classiest players i've ever seen, not to mention a work ethic that is second to none.

At least he is still officially a Bronco, until the man retires he won't miss any team activity. He will be in the trainers room getting his physical therapy and talking to all the young guys, teaching and mentoring.

Having Rod Smith on this team in any capacity makes this team better. If he does retire, I wish him the best in whatever endeavor he undertakes.

Astrass
02-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I think most receivers need a good mentor(roll model) for a coach, just think about how good B.Marshall can become with a "mentor"

I agree.....I think personality is a big part of the game also. Someone like Rod who was a very hard worker and recpectable person is they type of person you want teaching the young guys. If they can grow into the type of player Rod was as far as conduct they will have a chance to be a legend just like him. Last thing you'd want it a player like Marshall turing into a TO drama queen.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I hope Rod is able to recover, one of the classiest players i've ever seen, not to mention a work ethic that is second to none.

At least he is still officially a Bronco, until the man retires he won't miss any team activity. He will be in the trainers room getting his physical therapy and talking to all the young guys, teaching and mentoring.

Having Rod Smith on this team in any capacity makes this team better. If he does retire, I wish him the best in whatever endeavor he undertakes.

I agree Davii - his work ethic is hard to match by anyone, and that would be of great value if he wanted to coach in some capacity.

Bronco Bible
02-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree.....I think personality is a big part of the game also. Someone like Rod who was a very hard worker and recpectable person is they type of person you want teaching the young guys. If they can grow into the type of player Rod was as far as conduct they will have a chance to be a legend just like him. Last thing you'd want it a player like Marshall turing into a TO drama queen.

That is almost to the word what I was thinking TO

Watchthemiddle
02-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Rod did a lot of coaching this year on the sidelines. So many times I would see Marshall come off the field and Rod would be right there coaching him, giving him advice...etc.

I would like to see him stay in the organization if he wants too. Someone with his work ethic and derermination as a player needs to be around these young guys in one form or another.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Great Rod Smith slide show:

http://cbs4denver.com/slideshows/rod.smith.retirement.20.655094.html

and story:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/smith.broncos.retired.2.654943.html

Hobe
02-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Class is a word you have to use when taking about Rod Smith. Integrity and hard working are others. We will miss him.

The one thing I remember the most about Rod was the way he ran. It was more like he was gliding then running. He was smooth! :cool:

broncosfanscott
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, I think we all saw this coming. Still sucks though.

I hope he stays with the organization as a WR coach. He would be perfect.

tubby
02-15-2008, 10:55 PM
studhorse

shank
02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Rod did a lot of coaching this year on the sidelines. So many times I would see Marshall come off the field and Rod would be right there coaching him, giving him advice...etc.

i hope that being "forced" into this role this season gave him a taste for coaching, and i really hope that he liked it. i know he said he doesn't want to coach, but i don't think shanahan will let him off that easy, and i know rod doesn't want to be done with the game, so if that means coaching, then he'll do it. and knowing rod, he'll do it with all his heart and will make us proud. (i hope he's involved with the organization til he dies {in 2096 :D-if anyone can do it, rod can})

HolyDiver
02-16-2008, 08:32 AM

I would like to see him stay in the organization if he wants too. Someone with his work ethic and derermination as a player needs to be around these young guys in one form or another.

Rod Smith, to me, could be alot like Bobby Turner if he ever decided to coach the Wide Receivers..............We actually have quite a few former Broncos as assistant coaches................Dennison, Watson, Ronnie Bradford.....I think Jimmy Spencer is still around, Keith Burns.

HolyDiver
02-16-2008, 08:35 AM
i hope that being "forced" into this role this season gave him a taste for coaching, and i really hope that he liked it. i know he said he doesn't want to coach, but i don't think shanahan will let him off that easy, and i know rod doesn't want to be done with the game, so if that means coaching, then he'll do it. and knowing rod, he'll do it with all his heart and will make us proud. (i hope he's involved with the organization til he dies {in 2096 :D-if anyone can do it, rod can})

He was on the sideline for every game.................I have hard time believing that he can just walk away and watch all of this from his 26-32" high def tv at home. He'll pace back and forth during games and once his direct tv satelite goes out due to clouds or light rain...he'll be right back there on the sidelines, if for nothing else a ringside seat.

broncosfanscott
02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
He was on the sideline for every game.................I have hard time believing that he can just walk away and watch all of this from his 26-32" high def tv at home. He'll pace back and forth during games and once his direct tv satelite goes out due to clouds or light rain...he'll be right back there on the sidelines, if for nothing else a ringside seat.

I agree. I think he needs to be involved in some way with helping the current players in some way shape or form.

Stargazer
02-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Rod is done. Great player, but his time has come.