PDA

View Full Version : Firefly: The Series

EastCoastBronco
02-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I just borrowed the DVD set of the one and only season of "Firefly" from a buddy of mine and watched the pilot and the first couple of episodes last night. What a fantastic show. Great characters, great dialogue and great stories. I'm trying to figure out how it only lasted on e season. I'm chalking it's failure up to the fact we have become a "McDonalds for the mind" TV generation. With all of the "Junk Food" reality shows out there other shows with really solid credentials are being lost...Too bad really. Anyone looking for quality sci-fi with a bit of an old west twist should give "Firefly" a shot.

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, an absolutely fantastic show, and a damn shame Fox had to go screw it up.

I too was introduced after the show had gone off the air. I have since watched the DVDs a dozen times over, and still love every minute of it.

Don't forget to get the full length movie "Serenity" if you haven't already, just watch all the TV episodes first.

R.I.P. Firefly :Cry:

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the joy of Firefly!

Remember to watch Serenity, too!

The fervour of the fans pressured the studio to do a full length film to round out the story. Joss Whedon (of Buffy fame) was so proud of the fans!

"Shiny! Let's be bad guys!"

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
"Shiny! Let's be bad guys!"

We could do a whole thread on quotes :D

One of my favorites is from War Stories:

Mal: "Ok...I'm confused......I'm angry............and I'm armed!"

Den21vsBal19
07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Welcome to Reaver Land :rockon:!!!!!!!

TDK on BM got me into Firefly, bought it on his recommendation, watched it, loved it, lent it to step-father, didn't get it back so bought another copy :laugh:

Abso-bloody-lutely criminal that Fox didn't give the show a proper chance :mad:

"Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears."

"Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a ninety-pound girl, 'cause I don't think that's ever gettin' old."

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
"Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a ninety-pound girl, 'cause I don't think that's ever gettin' old."

LOL, that was a great one too :laugh:

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I aim to misbehave!!!!!!

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Jayne and Vera is a classic love story!

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Oooooooooo Cap'n Tight Pants!

Den21vsBal19
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Very, very emotional..........................I'm not easily moved, but :Cry:

:lol:

Den21vsBal19
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
LOL, that was a great one too :laugh:
Great stories, great quotable one-liners.................you'd've thought they were on to a winner :confused:

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Great stories, great quotable one-liners.................you'd've thought they were on to a winner :confused:

they were, the studio heads were just to bloody stupid to see it!

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 12:24 PM

"Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously have just come to a middle"

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
"I ain't had nix between my nethers that ain't run on batteries for nigh on a year!" -Kaylee

"I don't want to hear this!" - Mal

"I could stand to hear some more!" - Jayne

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
We could go on all day with this (except I be leaving for the weekend pretty soon)

Jayne: "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!

I have to paraphrase this one, I don't remember the exact quote, but from the same episode:

(Wash) "Can't we go to the crappy planet where I'm the hero?"

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I have to paraphrase this one, I don't remember the exact quote, but from the same episode:

(Wash) "Can't we go to the crappy planet where I'm the hero?"

That's it exactly.

And Simon's "Huh? So this is what an anuerysm feels like!"

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
(a flashback to when Mal bought Serenity)

Zoe: "You paid money for this? On purpose?"
Mal: "Come on! This is the kind of ship that will be with you until the day you die."
Zoe: "That's because it's a deathtrap."

:laugh:

Kapaibro
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
And the immortal words of Wash

"For I am a leaf on the wind, watch as I soar!"

Den21vsBal19
07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

Bizzarro
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I like the one where they are arguining and Jaybe snaps.

"I'm talking AT you Mal!"

Great show, fox ran it out of order and not every week in a row, so it was prettym uch dead before it arrived. I've watched the DVD set twice now.

Den21vsBal19
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I like the one where they are arguining and Jaybe snaps.

"I'm talking AT you Mal!"

Great show, fox ran it out of order and not every week in a row, so it was prettym uch dead before it arrived. I've watched the DVD set twice now.
Only twice????!?!!?!??!?!

Bizzarro
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Only twice????!?!!?!??!?!

Um.. I meant this week alone... yeah twice this week. That's good right? :shocked:

EastCoastBronco
07-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Wow...This thread really took off while I wasn't looking.
I've been through the series twice now with "Out of Gas" easily being my favorite episode. 3 hours worth of drama packed into an "hour" long show.
I've seen "Serenity" once so far and loved it. It's such a crying shame that this had to end after one season. So much potential.

Kapaibro
07-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Wow...This thread really took off while I wasn't looking.
I've been through the series twice now with "Out of Gas" easily being my favorite episode. 3 hours worth of drama packed into an "hour" long show.
I've seen "Serenity" once so far and loved it. It's such a crying shame that this had to end after one season. So much potential.

At least now you know what we are talking about! Got any quotes that have you hooked?

EastCoastBronco
07-04-2008, 07:43 AM
This exchange is my favorite...It sums up the entire theme of the show in my opinion...

Simon: "You had the Alliance on you … criminals and savages. Half the people on the ship have been shot or wounded, including yourself. And you’re harboring known fugitives."
Mal: "We’re still flying."
Simon: "That’s not much."
Mal: "It’s enough."

Den21vsBal19
07-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Some of my favourites came from War Stories

Wash: "I mean, I'm the one she swore to love, honor and obey."

Mal: "Listen..." (beat) "She swore to obey?"

Wash: "Well, no, not... But that's just my point! You she obeys! She obeys you! There's obeying going on right under my nose!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Real shame they never looked any deeper into Book's background

Kapaibro
07-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Some of my favourites came from War Stories

Wash: "I mean, I'm the one she swore to love, honor and obey."

Mal: "Listen..." (beat) "She swore to obey?"

Wash: "Well, no, not... But that's just my point! You she obeys! She obeys you! There's obeying going on right under my nose!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Real shame they never looked any deeper into Book's background

Oh hell yes! What was up with that Alliance thing when he got shot?

Den21vsBal19
07-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Oh hell yes! What was up with that Alliance thing when he got shot?
If you look at how much he new about 'The Operative' in Serenity, I can only assume that Book was once a similar type of character..........

WOuld have been nice if they'd gotten around to digging though, the rest of the crew all had some of their backgrounds exposed..........:sad:

Kapaibro
07-04-2008, 11:27 AM
If you look at how much he new about 'The Operative' in Serenity, I can only assume that Book was once a similar type of character..........

WOuld have been nice if they'd gotten around to digging though, the rest of the crew all had some of their backgrounds exposed..........:sad:

Joss said he had a whole set of episodes for season 2 just on Book's past.

I also loved him when his hair was out, and scared the hell out of River.

Den21vsBal19
07-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Joss said he had a whole set of episodes for season 2 just on Book's past.

I also loved him when his hair was out, and scared the hell out of River.
Hell, I'm growing my hair, and Book would've scared the crap out of me :eek:

http://still-flying.net/images/jaynestown/caps/jaynestown255.jpg

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Take my love. Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black.
Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land And boil the sea.
You can't take the sky from me.

Have no place I can be since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me.

Kapaibro
07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
River: No power in the 'verse can stop me.

BroncoFanatic
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
River: “The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems.”

Mal: “See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like.”

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
River: “The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems.”

Mal: “See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like.”
See, this is a sign of your tragic space dementia. All paranoid and crotchety, it breaks the heart.

Kapaibro
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Simon: In all that time on the ship... I've always regretted... not being with you.

Kaylee: With me? You mean to say... as in sex?

Simon: I mean to say.

Kaylee: To Hell with this. I'm gonna live!

BroncoFanatic
07-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Mal (to Saffron): "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill ‘em right back! … You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people. ”

Saffron was a great character, the two episodes with her are awesome. Then again, all the episodes are awesome :D

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Should I start with the part where you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, or the part where you have no clothes?

:rofl:

The opening (and ending) of Trash, with Mal sat there all nekkid like :laugh:

Kapaibro
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Mal: Kaylee, what in the sphincter of hell are you playing at? We got the primary buffer panel coming right...

Kaylee: Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Mal: You told me those entry couplings would hold for another week!

Kaylee: That was six months ago, Cap'n.

Mal: My ship don't crash. If she crashes, you crashed her.

Kapaibro
07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Should I start with the part where you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, or the part where you have no clothes?

:rofl:

The opening (and ending) of Trash, with Mal sat there all nekkid like :laugh:

A nekkid Mal is a schexy Mal!

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
A nekkid Mal is a schexy Mal!
Not my type, sweetie ;)

Damn you, Bridget! Damn you ta Hades! You broke my heart in a million pieces! You made me love you, and then y-- I SHAVED MY BEARD FOR YOU, DEVIL WOMAN

edit ~ I think I've had a hint of what to watch tonight ;)

Kapaibro
07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
My series and film are currently on loan

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
My series and film are currently on loan
Last time I lent the series out, I ended up giving it to my stepdad as a Father's Day present, and buying myself a new copy 18 months later :laugh:

Kapaibro
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Can't stop the signal Mal

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
You do that, you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy Lord

Bizzarro
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
One of the best lines.

"on a year now and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!"

Den21vsBal19
07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
One of the best lines.

"on a year now and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!"
Poor Kaylee ;) :laugh:

Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command

EastCoastBronco
07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that…you find someone to carry you."

Den21vsBal19
07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that…you find someone to carry you."
Ching-wao tsao duh liou mahng ;)

Kapaibro
07-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Mal: You wanna explain to me exactly why you got yourself all corpsified and mailed to me?