PDA

View Full Version : IMac for Christmas

Lonestar
12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey just got a IMac for Christmas.. my son bought it for me an after Christmas present.. it is fast

does anyone on here use a mac..

the screen is 22 inches and I can read it from next door.. I need some tips..

I used to use Iespell on the forum but it is only for IE so am looking for spell checker that is interactive.. I would love to hear from anyone that is familiar with this brute..

Rick
12-28-2009, 10:18 AM
If you use the Google chrome browser it apparently has a built in checker.

http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=mac&hl=en

Firefox apparently now does as well, use to have to install extensions for that.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html

In Firefox the not recognized words will be underlined, right click the misspelled word and it gives you suggestions to choose from.

Rick
12-28-2009, 10:25 AM
It would seem safari, your default browser has it as well.

Spell Checking

Safari offers built-in spell checking. Like the spell checker in many word processing applications, it highlights errors as you type and reviews your text word by word, offering new spelling suggestions. Safari can spell-check in 14 different languages.

Grammar Checking

Safari is the only web browser that offers built-in grammar checking. If you compose web-based email, update a blog, or type text into a web form, Safari can check and suggest corrections for your sentence structure.

MasterShake
12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey just got a IMac for Christmas.. my son bought it for me an after Christmas present.. it is fast

does anyone on here use a mac..

the screen is 22 inches and I can read it from next door.. I need some tips..

I used to use Iespell on the forum but it is only for IE so am looking for spell checker that is interactive.. I would love to hear from anyone that is familiar with this brute..

Those are both great suggestions. I use Safari and when I need a spellcheck I just put the cursor over the word and hit ctrl+rightclick on the mouse and it pulls up a spell check/grammar check option (plus some other nifty features). Actually, this is the command you can use on any program on the Mac.

You have any questions, feel free to PM me. I have had to use Macs in addition to my PC for 7 years now due to my profession.

titan
01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I just got a iMac shortly before Christmas (my first Mac after being a longtime Windows user) So far so good! One thing I added last week was EyeTv - I plug in my cable to EyeTV, then EyeTV to the Mac via a USB port, and I have live tv on the Mac! One unexpected bonus was that I was able to watch the Broncos/Eagles game in high definition on my mac thru EyeTv (don't have hi definition on my other tv's)

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
well figured out a bit more about spell check, but it keeps fixing words like OLINE=loin plus it does not have a word list (glossary) that I can add to at least I can find.

I have added firefox for my wife as there are some applications at her company web site we cant see. so she uses that for her schedule bidding and our travel net stuff.

I do not like firefox all that well so use safari almost exclusively for all of my surfing.

have figured out END and HOME page up and down. but still have not found a way to do a delete function other than backspace over it. PITA

but this 21 inch flat screen is awesome. and the same DSL was 10 MB on the old router and now is 54 mbs with the time machine and even faster on my laptop. when I'm working on that (almost never)

any help would be great thanks a bunch guys..

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Those are both great suggestions. I use Safari and when I need a spellcheck I just put the cursor over the word and hit ctrl+rightclick on the mouse and it pulls up a spell check/grammar check option (plus some other nifty features). Actually, this is the command you can use on any program on the Mac.

You have any questions, feel free to PM me. I have had to use Macs in addition to my PC for 7 years now due to my profession.

If JR had to use that option for spellcheck, that is the only thing he would be doing :D just kiddin JR ;)

Lonestar
03-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey folks as I said I got a IMAC for Christmas now all of my IPOD stuff is from another computer. how can I move that stuff to my new MAC from my Ipods I have several of them mine, wifes, daughter and son. Would like to combine them in the sharing portion of Itunes.

Any one got any Ideas?

Lonestar
03-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Also had the batteries go dead in my wireless keyboard went from low BAtteries pop up to dead in a heart beat. When I put the new ones in it would not respond and my mouse died or would not repined either.

People told me to turn the keyboard on.. had to take it to the store to find the on off switch for the keyboard.:salute: Apple engineers are sneaky ********.:laugh:

Anyone that may have the same problem PM me and I'll tell you where they hid it.

MasterShake
03-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey folks as I said I got a IMAC for Christmas now all of my IPOD stuff is from another computer. how can I move that stuff to my new MAC from my Ipods I have several of them mine, wifes, daughter and son. Would like to combine them in the sharing portion of Itunes.

Any one got any Ideas?

The easiest way would be to use an external hard drive (a big one, I imagine) then transfer all the files at once to itunes on the mac. I did that with about 50gigs of music when I went to Mac and it worked out pretty good. Took about half hour from start to finish.

Lonestar
03-30-2010, 01:45 AM
The easiest way would be to use an external hard drive (a big one, I imagine) then transfer all the files at once to itunes on the mac. I did that with about 50gigs of music when I went to Mac and it worked out pretty good. Took about half hour from start to finish.

I have loads of room on my mac and a 1.5 terabyte back up on the time machine.

MY problem is each time I plug an Ipod in it is telling me this IPOD is sync'd with another Itunes library (which are on old computers PC's) so since this is a NEW mac I seem to be screwed. I need to be able to get past this thing.. ANy ideas I also have a terabyte hard drive I was backing up my old computers on so I have the storage available.TIA

MasterShake
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
I have loads of room on my mac and a 1.5 terabyte back up on the time machine.

MY problem is each time I plug an Ipod in it is telling me this IPOD is sync'd with another Itunes library (which are on old computers PC's) so since this is a NEW mac I seem to be screwed. I need to be able to get past this thing.. ANy ideas I also have a terabyte hard drive I was backing up my old computers on so I have the storage available.TIA

It just means you on only use the IPOD on one computer at a time. Just pick a computer for your music, transfer all the music to that one, and make that your permanent IPOD dock/sync station. Its an anti-theft measure on most mp3 players so you can't just use them as a flash drive to spread music everywhere. If you re-sync on the new Mac, for example, it will erase the contents of the IPod and sync with your new Itunes library.

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
OK love my Imac but have one problem with it. HELP

I have a HP 4200 series all in one scanner fax, printer copier that I bought to well do all of that stuff but most importantly SCAN. I have a ton of old pictures from black and white to polariods from my family that I would love to scan into it and give on digital Picture frames to family.

Some going back to world war two.

I loaded the HP printer drivers for it and never tired to scan until like a month or so ago. when I did the machine would not scan. when I researched it the print driver I loaded was not compatible with Snow leopard 10.6 only 10.5

I bought a cheapie hp 4400 and started to load the the drivers and it said that the same thing applied not to load the drivers that the Imac would go out and search for the correct one. IT scans fine.

I'd like to be albeit to return this one and get the original unit to work but cant figure out how to remove the print drivers for it.

ANy one know how to do this? I used to know how to do this in XP or any of the dos based programs but can't find and uninstall file for it.

Any and all suggestions are gratefully accepted.

MasterShake
07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
OK love my Imac but have one problem with it. HELP

I have a HP 4200 series all in one scanner fax, printer copier that I bought to well do all of that stuff but most importantly SCAN. I have a ton of old pictures from black and white to polariods from my family that I would love to scan into it and give on digital Picture frames to family.

Some going back to world war two.

I loaded the HP printer drivers for it and never tired to scan until like a month or so ago. when I did the machine would not scan. when I researched it the print driver I loaded was not compatible with Snow leopard 10.6 only 10.5

I bought a cheapie hp 4400 and started to load the the drivers and it said that the same thing applied not to load the drivers that the Imac would go out and search for the correct one. IT scans fine.

I'd like to be albeit to return this one and get the original unit to work but cant figure out how to remove the print drivers for it.

ANy one know how to do this? I used to know how to do this in XP or any of the dos based programs but can't find and uninstall file for it.

Any and all suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Go to Harddrive>Library>Printers>then just delete the drivers you don't need.

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Go to Harddrive>Library>Printers>then just delete the drivers you don't need.

ok I'm still pretty new to this HArddrive?

MasterShake
07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
ok I'm still pretty new to this HArddrive?

Should be a harddrive icon on your desktop, otherwise just do a search for printers in the finder and select it. I was just showing you the path.

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I'll try that when I get home.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums